To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Connection to Server

This has become the most commonly reported problem with bitcomet users, when starting the software, the window in the bottom left displays an error, and they are unable to log in.

This is caused by any of various errors on bitcomets servers, and is NOT anything you need to worry about. You can continue to download as before, but unfortunately your stats will not be collected until the server problems are resolved (usually a day or two at the most).

There really is nothing to concern yourself with, and we have asked the development team to change the error message to something that is less alarming to users.

• 4 months later...

Generally speaking, your download speeds are particular to each and every one of the torrents you are trying to download at any particular point in time.

In other words, the configuration and number of peers for every swarm may dynamically change from one moment to another, which thing may positively or negatively impact your download speed.

Since your downloads, in the BitTorrent Network, come from other peers (and therefore they're nothing like connecting and downloading from a HTTP server) your download speeds depend entirely on the configuration of the swarm at that particular moment and on the way the peers regard you (desirable or non-desirable).

Therefore, the best you can do is to make sure that your client is well configured (in order to make yourself as a desirable peer to trade with as possible, for your connection parameters). You might want to check the Settings Guide in order to do that.

Other than that, if you still get slow speeds for any particular torrent, you can either search for the same content in a more healthy swarm or if that's not available... live with it in that case.

I am aware, now, of the unstable servers and our inablility to log into our bitcomet bitclient software.

But what I am wondering is this:

For a couple of months now I have not been able to get my "green light" that shows I have an open connection, both ways, to receive data, and allow data to be sent to other computers that are, perhaps, sharing the same torrent that I am.

I saw your post that said this server issue would cause a gray light, and would not create any problems with our download speed, and that seems to be the case, as I download at the same speeds as ever i did.

What bothers me is that post was dated in June of 2009.

June, 2009, and you still do not have stable servers that give us the peace of mind knowing weve got the "green light" and are open at both ends?

The upheaval in the torrent community is really taking hold now, and any thing you can do to normalize this situation, especially for us loyal bitcomet users..(7 years now, for me?) would be great.

Again, yes, I am still getting the same dl speeds, but now, I cant log into my bitcomet client, and since June ive been getting the gray light.

Its annoying, and a bit scary, making me wonder if bitcomet is closing its connections, eventually.

Just some thoughts I had. I dont mean to alarm anyone...just thinking out loud.

Thanks guys/Bitcomet!

Razz

Edited by razzell2 (see edit history)

Well, if you constantly have been having a gray light since June than I'd say that you need to check your Internet connection for a firewall blocking outbound connections for BitComet.

That is because the port probing server has not been down for the whole June-December period. It had some down time in June and after that it has been up and running for the most part of the time until towards the end of November, if I recall right. And for most of the month of December it has been working well, as it is now, too.

So, if all this time you've been having a gray light then the problem definitely resides on your side. You need to check for an application which may be blocking BitComet's access to certain IP ranges, among which is the port probe server (such as PeerGuardian).

• 3 weeks later...

I've been 'unable to sign in to cometpassport at this time' since the last week of December. I tried uninstalling & installing Bitcomet but it still will not connect. Any suggestions or is it still a server issue? FYI - I've had the same IP for over a year & had Bitcomet working before I had to reformat my hard drive. Also - I'm not too computer savvy so the more details the better. Thanks.

This thread is a general announcement of the issue. For specific questions, you need to start a new topic of your own, and then you need to include the required basic information before anyone can be of assistance to you.

• 1 month later...

I am not Chinese, nor are most of the staff of this forum. However the administrators of this forum, the Comet team and especially the persons which administer all the Comet servers (which are located in China) are Chinese.

And they have been gone in holiday on the occasion of the traditional Chinese New Year which uses a different calendar than the European one (it fell on the 14th of February, this year if I gather right).

Therefore, there was nobody to tend the servers and fix this issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So This "Problem" Happens At Times But Should Not Be Worried About?

Yes, it has nothing to do with your ability to download. It just means that you were unable to log into Comet ID. The only purpose is to collect your stats and advance you in rank. Any connection problem, from your computer, your internet provider, or the dozens/hundreds of servers en-route can cause such issues, or the bitcomet servers could just be busy (overworked at the moment).

There are also unavoidable outages of our servers, as well as maintenance times when they will be unavailable. This is pretty common on all internet servers and nothing to worry about.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have searched a lot of forum topics and am unable to find a solution to my problem, which is my internet keeps droppping out when i am downloading torrents, I have the newest version of bitcomet maybe a month old and a using google chrome, and windows 7 any ideas on what maybe my problem would be much appreciated

It's probably your hardware, Bonzey, but since you didn't provide any information about it, that's only a guess. Some routers (do you use a router?) have difficulty with the great number of connections bittorrent makes, and when they get too many, they handle it gracelessly by dropping the connection.

Well, since I asked about a router, it doesn't, much.

The NB7 is a discontinued product though, so if it is the problem there isn't anything you can do about it except replace it. If you've got a router (you still haven't said) then you need to concentrate on that. If not, then if you've got a friend with a similar connection, see if you can borrow their (different make/model) modem for a short test, to see if the problem disappears.