To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

CometPlayer is released!

Dear all, CometPlayer is just released!!

This new audio player supports most formats; it is simple in layout and easy to use. Its special features allows high level of personalisation.

You're all welcomed to download this new product here and have a go.

The wiki of CometPlayer can be viewed from the "Help" section in the product website.

Please report any bugs or suggestions here.

If you have any inquiries about CometPlayer, please post in this forum.

Thank you for your support and have fun. B)

post-56648-12692520100461.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

Just wanted to say that Comet Player is the exact player I've been looking for. I used to use Windows Media Player because it was so easy to save a playlist, let alone find it again. But the more they updated it, the more complicated it got.

All I needed was a way to play an album without too much hassle, and Comet Player certainly fulfills that need.

I only have a few sugestions:

I use the music website last.fm very often, and I would love to see Comet Player with a last.fm plugin, so my mp3s would get "scrobbled" on to my last.fm profile.

My last, and very minor suggestion is that one would be able to stretch the playlist box as wide as one wishes, just like you can with the box where the actual songs are in. When I save playlists it's both artist name and album, for example "Mouth of the Architect - Quietly", but Comet Player's playlist box is so narrow that I sometimes have to go on a hunch when I click on an album/playlist as I can only see the artist name.

Anywho, kudos for making the best and easiest player ever, and I hope my suggestions makes sense :)

Sincerely Claus

Edited by messo (see edit history)

Hi Claus, I'm so glad to see you like CometPlayer. :lol:

Regard to your suggestions, the "plugin" part will be reported to the development team and they'll make decision on it.

Actually you can stretch the playlist panel, just close/move the panel next to it (which should be the lyrics panel), then you'll be able to stretch it.

• 2 months later...

Vasy, the "multimedia keyboard" you mentioned, are they the Play/Pause, volume, stop and other keys on the keyboard? Sorry if I didn't describe it clearly... Anyway I'll report this to the team if I got them right. =)

No Vasy, it was not vague, I just tried to confirm the meaning with you, and that's the communication process between different language speakers. B)

I've just asked my teammate and found that the "multimedia keys" can be set as global hotkeys, although they appear as weird symbols. :rolleyes:

I just noticed the Comet Player whenever I tried to launch a mp3 the other day. I will admit, this is nice program. However, I have a few questions about it... First, where did the program come from? I don't recall downloading it unless it was in the MPC Star 4.6 installation and I missed it. Second, where are the shortcuts to launch it? They didn't install with MPC Star. At the moment, I just let the mp3 launch the player via double-click. Finally, where is the default installation directory so I can make some temporary shortcuts to it? Thanks in advance. Awesome player, by the way. I love the fact that it uses like less then 1% of my processor all the time. Much better then greedy Windows Media Player and iTunes. Excellent job. Now, if we can just get it to burn CDs and convert files to mp3... ;-)

Edited by Emmortel (see edit history)

CometPlayer is contained in MPCStar's installation package, and it's installed under the directory of MPCStar, its shortcut should be there as well. Version 4.7 has improved the shortcut issue, so after installing MPCStar4.7, the shortcut of CometPlayer will appear on the desktop and start menu.

Thank you for your support. :)

You're right Vasy, the multimedia keys cannot be set as Global hotkeys, I'll talk to the team leader about this, and see if he will include adding this feature into the development plan.

Thank you for your response, Lucy. My MPC Star is currently not up-to-date with the current release, so I will have to get on that to fix my shortcuts.

I have a couple suggestions for the player...

1. Can you see about adding an option to automatically clear the previous playlist whenever you double-click to open another file or group of files?

2. An option to keep the player hidden in the background when you double-click to add and play files would be appreciated.

3. Can we possibly see about an option to cue a file instead of instantly playing it unless nothing is playing or the player isn't open?

Keep up the awesome work. I am officially a CometPlayer fan. :-)

Edited by Emmortel (see edit history)

Hi Emmortel, I just have a few questions here regard to your suggestion, just want to make them clear:

1. Can you see about adding an option to automatically clear the previous playlist whenever you double-click to open another file or group of files?

Did you want or not want to clear the previous playlist when opening a new one?

2. An option to keep the player hidden in the background when you double-click to add and play files would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what you meant here, can you explain more?

3. Can we possibly see about an option to cue a file instead of instantly playing it unless nothing is playing or the player isn't open?

Well I'm confused again, can you explain this one as well? Thanks.

Yes you're right Vasy, sorry for all the confusion I caused.

You can use multimedia keys to control CometPlayer when the window is active, even you have not set them as any hotkeys.

Now the team has decided to add this feature, thank you for the suggestion. ;)

No problem. Thanks!

Another request, if I may: A controllable realtime "translation" or "upmix" or "speaker fill" (or like the "matrix" button on some sound systems) from stereo to quadraphonic or 5.1 or 7.1 etc.. I.e. I'd like to hear a stereo sound file in all 5 of my speakers with equal volume. If it can be done.

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long for this reply; however, here is the info you asked for, Lucy26.

As for the clearing of the playlist question, yes. If there was an option to automatically clear the playlist (like a checkbox in the options that can allow it to happen if the user requests) instead of automatically stacking songs added every time. Note that my other two responses would usually need said checkbox unchecked anyway. But it would be nice to be able to do it.

Whenever you minimize the program to the little bar on the right side of the screen, if you open another file, it opens the player again. Is there a way we can get an option to keep it hidden as we add files to the player? In order to reproduce the question, open a file (doesn't matter which), click the icon that pops in the background bar (which should hide the program), then try to open another file via Explorer. You'll notice that the player pops back up again. I would like an option to prevent that from happening.

As for queuing files, if you were to take a look at Winamp, there is an option in there (it's hidden in the options for some reason) to enable queue and play. Basically, what it does is this: If there are no files playing, it will automatically open the player upon double-click of a file and start to play it (as how Comet Player works now); however, if there is already a song playing, it will instead add the file to the playlist instead of immediately playing the file. So, if you're listening to "Closer", whenever you double-click "Don't Know Why", it adds "Don't Know Why" to the playlist, but doesn't stop playing "Closer".

I also noted two new issues with the player, both of which existed on 0.6 and are still in 0.7:

1. The first is a graphics issue. The Shuffle/Repeat buttons are backwards. Whenever you click the Shuffle button, it pops repeat options and vice-versa. It's not really a problem, it's just not right. I figured you guys would want to know.

2. The second is toggling Shuffle on automatically toggles Repeat All on. While nice, there are times when I just want to Shuffle through a playlist once and be done with it. Again, not really a problem, but it can be annoying. On the plus side, it does automatically toggle Repeat All off again whenever you toggle Shuffle off. ;-) Actually, that last statement may be considered a bug too, as it's not supposed to do that either...

I apologize again for not responding as quickly as I should've. Keep up the awesome work with the players (this one and MPC Star). I love them both. I will make a point to check this again soon so I don't keep you waiting.

Hi Emmortel, regard to your inquiries:

If there was an option to automatically clear the playlist

There is an option to save the playlist before exist, if you uncheck this option, all the changes you made in the playlist will not be saved. Just go to Options -> Play, at the bottom of right side, you will find Save the playlist when exit.

Whenever you minimize the program to the little bar on the right side of the screen, if you open another file, it opens the player again.

What is your operating system? I'm running WinXP SP3, the problem you reported has never happened to me.

however, if there is already a song playing, it will instead add the file to the playlist instead of immediately playing the file.

You can drag-and-drop the song to the playlist, so it will not be played immediately.

The first is a graphics issue. The Shuffle/Repeat buttons are backwards.

Thank you for reporting, I didn't notice.... :P

The second is toggling Shuffle on automatically toggles Repeat All on.

That's the way CometPlayer works, so it is not bug. But I'll ask the team see if they can do anything to change this setting.