To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

When will the next version of CometBird be released?

Update: CometBird development has officially ended effective immediately (Jan 2015)

http://www.cometforums.com/topic/12799293-cometbird-development-officially-discontinued-jan-2015/

CometBird is developed from Stable releases of Firefox browser by Mozilla, so it may take some time for our development team to produce an equivalent version of CometBird, following a new stable release of Firefox.

Just be patient, there is no need to fill the forums with new topics regarding this, but if you feel you need to comment or ask a question about this, do so in this topic.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I was wondering about that.

Will there be a version 11 coming, since a 10 was nowhere is sight on the main page?

My question is not like those naggy kids that start with the, "Version XX from Firefox is out, when is the XX version of CometBird coming out?!"

I think CometBird should be updated when Firefox is updated.

Improvements in security and stability are very important, so CometBird should always be updated with the latest version of Firefox.

Edited by minegroasprilla (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm a new Cometbird user & fan. But I'm a little concerned now about the risks of running v11.0 from 2012.04.01, presumably without any applicable security patches that were issued by Mozilla for Firefox on April 24th (and more since then). I wonder whether there is any policy or target for how long it will take to deploy a Firefox critical security patch in Cometbird.

This isn't about security patches, it's about mozilla making new version numbers that render bitcomet extensions obsolete. If there was a security problem with version 11.0, then they should release 11.1 and nothing will be effected, but instead they call it 12.0 and forces every publisher of extensions to redo all their work. Versions 3 to 12 in just over a year is a bit to much. Maybe they are trying to force all 3rd party publishers to stop providing extensions? I'm really not sure, but we should be on version 5.0 about now. BitComet has been around for longer and is only on version 1.3x.

If they must continue to use larger numbers, then they should stop rejecting extensions from older versions.

BitComet is a volunteer project, no one is paid here, so redoing all this work every few weeks because of unnecessary number changes is absurd.

Bottom line is Cometbird will be updated when time permits, not before... same for the bitcomet extensions.

• 10 months later...

Hi, everyone! I was just wondering if development on Cometbird has stopped. I've been an avid user of Cometbird for several years,and have recommended it to many people over that period of time. Since the release of version 11 back in 2012, though, I haven't seen any updates, and I have checked repeatedly; Now it's reached the point where I am being strongly encouraged by several websites to upgrade to a modern browser. I don't mind Firefox, and I will go back to using it if I have to, but I do prefer Cometbird and would like to stick with it. Do we know if there is an updated version being worked on?

I just got word from development that the cometbird project will not be abandoned. We don't have a timetable as to when to expect any updates, but hopefully we'll see a new version posted soon.

• Like 1

We don't have a timetable as to when to expect any updates, but hopefully we'll see a new version posted soon.

I always question what soon means to people.

CometBird could always follow the ESR line of Firefox.

Either way, keeping updated by a feed or checking this site frequently?

I always question what soon means to people.

CometBird could always follow the ESR line of Firefox.

Either way, keeping updated by a feed or checking this site frequently?

I don't have any more information to give you, anything further I say would only be speculation. If you speak Chinese you can ask the developers in their chinese (bitcomet) forum, but I doubt you'll get more info then I just provided.

I do really appreciate you asking for me; working in tech myself, I kow how frustrating those very dubious timelines can be for everyone involved. Thanks so much for checking in for me... I'll keep checking back for new versions, and try to stick with Cometbird until then. I've really enjoyed it as a browser.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...