To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to download without uploading.

Abdullah9

Torrents are designed for "Sharing" of files. The people who make them and offer them for FREE expect AND require all users to do their part in uploading to other users.

If your not willing to share and only want to take from others, then you won't be welcome on any trackers. The bittorrent protocol has built in features to slow your download nearly to a stop if you attempt to stop from uploading, additionally, many trackers will ban a user who is detected doing this.

If you want to download without sharing, then I suggest you find a different method of download. Perhaps join one of the newsgroups or other paid services that will allow you to download as much as you want without uploading. There are also websites like rapidshare and megaupload that offer similar downloads. Most of these have basic services that are free that might suffice for occasional downloading, but if you want to continue using peer to peer systems like bittorrent, then you need to be willing to become a valued member of the community, not one who is going to harm every swarm you connect to.

Just to be clear, bittorrent requires you to upload while downloading. If you do not, you become an extremely undesirable partner, so no other client in the swarm will send anything to you -- they can all find better, faster, more reliable peers to trade with, and do so.

You can accomplish your goal by setting your global maximum download speed to 1 KB/s, which is as low as BitComet will allow.

Shortly after you do this, your own download speed will start dropping and reach zero. It will not rise about that except very occasionally, so that even the smallest torrents will take you weeks to download. You're now only being given the very occasional block out of the equivalent of pity. This is the result of downloading without uploading, namely that you cannot.

(Reset your upload speed per the settings guide, and restart your client, to get your download speed back to normal.) If you are uploading at a good clip, you become a very desirable trade partner, which increases your download speed (up to the limit of your connection).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am new. In the past couple days I had sign up and registered bitcomt. forum.bittorrent. org, finaltorrent etc. but, I still go no where. So I think this site is not for me. Because I have no kownledge what is ever about this torrent, forum and many other sites related to here.

Well, you must read.

Our "Guides and Tutorials" forum is designed just for people like you, who know nothing about this and need an introduction to all of it.

Start with the topic, "New to Bittorrent?" and go from there.

This forum exists to help people understand, so questions are quite welcome. You must first know enough to know what questions to ask, and this is why many of the tutorials were written.

You can also learn a great deal from reading our wiki.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i been using bitcomet for a while but i think you need to change the software. the reason is because shows ip connections and the company called DATA SERVICES FOR GUARDALEY trace them. I recieved a email from my ISPs company will shut down the service.Any suggestion about this case or is the end p2p services. thank you very much.Read this :http://beckermanlegal.com/Lawyer_Copyright_Internet_Law/achteneunte_does1-2094_100318Declaration.pdf

You also should spend some time reading. You cannot download without uploading under Bittorrent. This is the nature of the protocol. If you do not upload to others, nobody else will upload to you, and your download speed will drop to zero. Your suggestion cannot be implemented, and demonstrates that you do not understand the internet. If your IP address is concealed, then it is concealed from everyone, including the people who may send anything to you, such as email or pieces of torrents.

Your ISP has forgotten who is paying the bills here. Nobody is paying your ISP to play netcop. You, on the other hand ARE paying them for internet service. You should stop doing that, and find another ISP, one who remembers who is paying whom here. You should also tell your (hopefully soon to be forrmer) ISP why you are leaving them. This will help them to understand that this policy costs them paying customers while gaining them nothing.

• 1 year later...

sir ,

i am using bit torrent to download mostly movies, files, games . i have few doubts about it

1. is it safe to use bit torrent ?

2. my personal data on computer will get compromised ?(i have heard the hackers can easily steal the data)

3. my download and upload speed are set to unlimited by default (is it ok).?

4. in one of my download it say : seeds = 18 of 986 connected (1362 in swarm)

peers = 15 of 1349 connected(723 in swarm) WHAT DOES THIS MEANS?

5.i mostly use thepiratesbay.se site for downloading and is this also safe for using .??

Bitcomet itself is very safe in that it transports data and won't allow any of the data it receives to become infected in any way. It's job is much like the truck that delivers food to the markets, as long as good food is loaded on it, good food will come off. If someone was to create a torrent purposefully containing malware, then that is another story, you will get exactly what they put in the release. To avoid this you can look at the comments on the torrent site you use, and the comment section provided by bitcomet.

Hackers cannot get your personal info from bitcomet, it only uploads the exact same pieces of data you downloaded, and optionally will upload info about the file to help bitcomet find you more peers to trade with.

For the rest I'll refer you to wiki.bitcomet.com, where we have worked hard to answer all these questions in advance.

Thepiratebay like most torrent sites will have good and bad content, but it's better then many.