To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

UPnP NAT port mapping

The UPnP NAT port mapping feature does not work on Windows XP. Is it possible to release a bug fix to correct this issue?

I get an error (FAILED) message in the statistics tab of my BC page. Due to this failure the Listen Ports for TCP & UDP are blocked which is reducing my connectivity.

I'm sure there are thousands of other BC users having this problem.

Thanks

Actually there is no bug regarding this. The problem is with uPnP, not with BitComet. Despite "uPnP" being an acronym standing for "Universal Plug and Play", it is anything but "universal", and is almost never "plug and play".

The first problem is that not all routers and devices implement it the same way, which causes problems, and it also has zero chance of working if your router doesn't support uPnP, and even if it does, you have to have it enabled, then you also have to conform all your firewalls to allow it. Setting firewall exemptions for bitcomet alone won't enable usage of uPnP. Once you get uPnP working on your LAN, then bitcomet should be able to use it without any problems. For some equipment this is effortless, but for others it can be very complicated.

We usually recommend users simply setup portforwarding in their router if uPnP doesn't work. That is a much easier process and easier to diagnose.

If you want help with that, read the topic linked in my signature and reply with all required info and we'll try to help.

If UPnP works for your router, great. But if it stops working for some reason, there's nothing you can do about it. Errors are nearly impossible to diagnose, and completely impossible to fix since this is all done in firmware. If you don't know how to configure the router manually, you are SOL. It's generally just as well to learn how to do it, then when your situation changes, you can handle it.