To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

No download when using Anonymous Download

travisbevo

Essential Info:

1. BitCometBeta 20110516

2. 3G HSPDA wireless internet, Telstra Australia. And also tested with Telstra adsl2.

3. Sierra Wireless AirCard® USB 306 modem (ISP supplied and configured), direct usb connection to computer. No router or connection sharing. Also tested with zyxel p-600 modem over ethernet.

4. I have a PC and a notebook. I plug the modem into the one that I am using at the time. They both suffer the same problem. Tested the notebook on the other network (adls2).

5. Windows xp sp3. PC has AVG and Zonealarm, The notebook does not have any firewall or antivirus software, xp firewall disabled.

6. I have tried a variety of torrents from different sites.

7. Speed test results are in the 2.5-3 megabit/second range.

I can download very well with regular torrent download and VIP download. When I enable Anonymous download, only 1 out of about 10 torrents will work. The torrents that don't work with anonymous download, they do work without anonymous enabled. The torrents have hundreds of peers and leeches, with working trackers.

I have tested anonymous download on a different computer/isp type/location with my account.

Edit: My Listen Port is open, green light.

Edited by travisbevo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you for your report. If you could upload some of the torrents that aren't working I'll see that the development team gets them.

I'll also reply if there is any further information they require to help troubleshoot this issue.

Could you clarify what you mean by "they don't work"? Do you mean that the torrents never download, or what, exactly?

I just want to make sure you understand that anonymous download is in opposition to normal bittorrent download -- that if you choose anonymous, you disconnect/turn-off normal bittorrent because that would defeat the whole purpose of anonymity.

• Like 1

Thank you for the fast replies guys.

The UnUsual Suspect: Can I PM you the torrents?

Kluelos: Apologies for the abstract description. When I open a new torrent, in the Task Properties window I click on the VIP acceleration tab, click enable VIP accelaration, then tick the Enable Anonymous Download box, then click ok. The torrent appears in the list, with the green arrow to indicate it's running, but it receives 0kB/s download, and it achieves 0% progress after waiting hours.

To test it isn't just a bad torrent I have tried adding a new torrent, enable VIP but NOT Anonymous download, and only select one or two of the files contained within the torrent. These files download without issue. I then go into the task properties of that torrent, select the remaining files of the torrent to be downloaded, and then enable Anonymous Download. The progress % changes from 100% to a lower percentage to reflect that more files are needed to be downloaded. But after enabling Anonymous Download, it will not download any more data, none of the remaining files of the previously working torrent will receive any data.

I hope this clarifies the problem. Any further questions don't hesistate to ask.

Thanks.

Sorry, I wish I could give you a solution but mine just started on it's own so I have no idea what the problem was in the first place. The only thing I did was stop and restart the torrent several times and then it just started working again.

it is possible that there wasn't a server available at the time you tried to start it. We have been adding servers to keep up with the rising popularity of the service, but the possibility of a surge in users could adversely effect the performance. Hopefully our efforts will minimize these occurrences.

I can easily duplicate the problem.

The torrent just sits there "prepering", forever.

It seems clear to me that VIP download needs to give a lot more feedback to the user than it does - similar to the feedback that you get from a tracker, about what's going on, what problems were encountered, so that the user knows what to expect or what to do.

It seems clear to me that VIP download needs to give a lot more feedback to the user than it does - similar to the feedback that you get from a tracker, about what's going on, what problems were encountered,

I passed this on to development. I think it's a great idea, at very least the user should be notified if there are no sources available for the task. Bittorrent protocol has always relied on the users knowledge of the seeds/peers column, but it would be nice if a user was warned when starting the task and given chance to cancel the vip on that task before it begins if it's not likely to complete.

at very least the user should be notified if there are no sources available for the task. Bittorrent protocol has always relied on the users knowledge of the seeds/peers column

Just to confirm, this isn't the problem for me though. The torrents I've sent you as examples have hundred of seeds/peers, and will download very well without anonymous download enabled.

Actually, the first smaller one you sent, did have a problem, and would not complete. It stopped at 99%.

Because of the complete lack of information with Anonymous download, I was unable to even guess why that was. I had no idea how many peers there were, whether it could complete or not -- meaning whether I would be wasting the VIP bandwidth or not, whether it might be a plant or a fake.

Other torrents that I have experimented with though, DO have this problem -- as normal downloads they'll progress along nicely, but as VIP downloads, they sit there, preparing, for days, until the normal download is complete at the normal speed. Since I can't delete tasks in the VIP list, I guess they'll stay that way forever.

@travisbevo, I knew that isn't the case with your torrents, but felt that would be a first bit of info the vip system would need to check and report to the local client.

It's good that we're finding these things, this is what beta testing is all about.

• 3 weeks later...

You're welcome to apply for beta testing. Currently this program hasn't actually begun though. I'm not sure what the delay is, perhaps development wants to get some issues resolved first, but if you apply, I'll forward your info and if selected, you will be able to use vip for the duration of the beta testing period, which will initially be 30 days.

Just to clarify, if you get registered as beta-tester it goes without saying the you would have to use mainly the anonymous downloading option, so that you can feedback any bugs, or abnormal behavior you see.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on Vista, running Bitcomet v1.28. Adsl 1 mbit connection has been working fine for general torrents.

I bought 100gigs of VIP data for $20 attracted by the possibility of anonymous downloading.

I am logged in with CometID and have started a well seeded torrent download.

It just sits there with no signs off life. In the general torrents area under summary it says Status: Connecting....

In the VIP torrents area it sasy Acceleration : Preparing.

Are the servers overloaded? I have restarted it several times and it has been sitting for a couple of hours.

If you would copy the torrent's magnet link we'll see if we can get it to work, and referr it to the development team if we are unable.

You can post the link here, or send it in a private message if you prefer.