To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Anybody using Bitcomet in Windows 7 pls Help?

Friends,

For Bitcomet application in XP, if the yellow light blink in the bottom, it means something is blocking your application and you cannot get full speed...and there is a help page to change it to green by some step by step process with screenshot (Hope those who used bitcomet in windows XP will know this). Similarly is there any help page or any steps needed to change the yellow light (Blocked) to Green in Windows 7?? I used Windows 7 and Bitcomet Application. I dono how to follow the step for the same. I added firewall exception, allowed all traffic in my firewall etc....but nothing worked...

If anybody of you knows, kindly help in this.

The procedure didn't especially change between XP and Win7.

A blocked port always means that there is a firewall blocking it -- because that's what they're for, firewalls.

You can have several firewalls and not know it. They don't coordinate with each other or check with each other, and there's no "flag" that says, "hey, firewall already active here". You can be behind a dozen different firewalls of various kinds and not know it.

Nobody can find out except you (or a tech who does hou$ecall$).

First
, there are software firewalls that run on your computer. Windows built-in firewall is one of these. There are many third-party software firewalls. I discommend all of these, for anyone who needs to ask about it in a forum like this. You must find any that are running, and disable them. You use a combination of the process list in Application Manager, and Google, to determine what all of your running processes are, and what each one does. When you find one that is a firewall, you will need to uninstall it. (Some firewalls won't turn themselves off, and have to be uninstalled. You don't want that extra crap on your computer anyway.) This is tedious, yes, but on the good side, you usually find a lot of garbage running, that you don't want and that is consuming resources and slowing you down. Most internet "security suites" include a firewall. So, even, does some mainboard utility software. You will need to find them all and nail them.

Second
, there are firmware firewalls. Most SOHO routers, gateways and network access points have a firewall built in. This is the sort of firewall that needs your port forwarded through. IF you don't have a firmware firewall (or any such device), then you don't need to worry about port-forwarding, it doesn't apply to you.

Third
, there are ISP firewalls, that are upstream from you, or that your provider puts you behind. These are commonly found where the internet connection comes with the facility. They're common in dormitories, hotels, offices, some apartments where you get the internet service with the rent. Firewalls are also very common on nearly all wireless connections, particularly cellular or 3G modems. If you are behind an ISP firewall there's usually nothing you can do about it and must use "No Listen Port" mode, which is slow but better than no bittorrent at all.

------------------------------

Now, all of that said, you do need one known-working firewall. Do not, ever, connect to the internet without a working firewall. You can get infected and zombied in less time than it takes to take a shower, if you connect without a firewall.

Hi,

I am using BitComet 1.28 on Win7.

Mine works fine but every now and again when it starts up, it reports that the ports are blocked even though nothing has changed since the last time it ran.

First thing to try is to right click the section on the bottom right where it tells you that there is a problem and click Try Again. Quite often that changes it back to green for me although other times I have to click it a few times or restart BitComet before it finally accepts that the ports are open.

The other thing to look at is to see if your speeds are actually slow or not. Sometimes I start the application and walk away before it initialises fully only to find that even though it tells me the ports are blocked, the upload and download speeds are fine.

Hope this helps :-)

Different users having different network connections use different methods of getting remote peer connections to their computer, however all BitComet can do is report on it's success, it cannot tell you the reason the connections are not being received, as this is something completely out of the control of BitComet and needs to be addressed either on your PC (a firewall), on your Local Network (your router), or by your ISP (if your using a type of connection that doesn't allow incoming connections.

BitComet will attempt to open it's port in your router IF you have uPnP enabled in both bitcomet and the router, and it's not blocked by any firewalls, however even if this is successful, your port could still be blocked by a firewall.

Recent versions of BitComet use two methods of testing the status of your incoming connections. When started, it will run an active test. Here is an example of how this occurs.

BitComet sends test signal to testing server. (connection completed turns light yellow, no connection turns light grey)

Testing server sends return signal to bitcomet client. (Connection received turns light from yellow to green)

Therefore if it can reach the testing server, but the server cannot reach the bitcomet client, then the port is considered to be blocked and the light remains yellow.

When tasks are being run, a "passive" test can override the findings of the active test. If any of your tasks show successful remote peer connections, then this is evidence that your port is open, so BitComet will change your light from Yellow to Green.

For users that don't immediately get the green light, it could be that your router is to slow at responding to the uPnP commands to open the port, so the initial test fails. It could also be that a firewall or security program is interfering with the "active" testing method, so the initial "yellow" light (or more accurately a lack of green) was inaccurate, but the passive test later showed the port is open so the status changed.

In this case, the important thing is that the port is open.

This is a pretty good example of jumping into the middle of someone else's thread, sharayde.

Your problem is nothing at all like the original poster's problem, and now nobody's quite sure which problem is being talked about.

Not to mention, it's just incredibly rude.

Start your own thread. (And provide the information listed in the PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING message.).

Kluelos, I think the member was just offering advice to the member who made the post, not asking for help himself.

However he does clearly have a problem that could be addressed if he wants to make a proper support request, and I'll agree it does (somewhat) look like a support request.

• 3 weeks later...

its seems to me that windows seven blocks the tcp port,i have a yellow light and opened up firewall exeptions and the router for fixes but to no avail.. pissed off

You're not correct, windows seven doesn't block bitcomet in any way. If you're looking for help, then read the rules and prepare a proper support request.

Kluelos, I think the member was just offering advice to the member who made the post, not asking for help himself.

Correct, mine is working fine. I was attempting to help, the original poster wanted to talk to people using BitComet in Windows 7. I was explaining how even if BitComet reports a blocked port, it might not always be the case and may be rectified by getting it to check again.

I appreciate that not everyone's first language is English so it is easy to misinterpret what is being said.

I run Bircomet, Xunlei and uTorrent together.

Only Bitcomet was blocked and received yellow light.

I already Off my windows 7 firewall and enable Bitcomet with my Bitdefender's firewall.

It still blocked my Bitcomet. No matter what port number I select...

So I do my port forwarding with my Billion Bipac 5112S.

My port is 25440

Application : Bitcomet

Protocol : ALL

Start Port Number : 23000

End Port Number : 65535

Local IP Address : 192.168.x.x

Now my port is green.

• Like 1

@sychern

Congratulations!

You just forwarded 42536 ports (for each of the 2 protocols) towards your computer, which sit idle, inviting every malicious program and person out there to come in and make themselves comfortable.

But, actually, you shouldn't be happy about that, and especially you shouldn't advise other people to do the same reckless thing.

use the following settings instead

Application : Bitcomet

Protocol : ALL

Start Port Number : 25440

End Port Number : 25440

Local IP Address : 192.168.x.x

This will only allow connections incoming on one specific port, and since bitcomet is registered on that port, no other apps can receive the connection. The way you have it set, anything can get past your router on any of those ports.

use the following settings instead

This will only allow connections incoming on one specific port, and since bitcomet is registered on that port, no other apps can receive the connection. The way you have it set, anything can get past your router on any of those ports.

TQ! I have changed it. :D

I hope my bitdefender can handle that hole.

Actually, he doesn't have one only while BitComet is running.

The rest of the time the port isn't registered by any other app in Windows so it's free to be used by any other application (read malware).

That's the price we all have to pay, with manual forwarding.

This is where the stateful software firewall on your PC comes into scene, as a second defense line and closes the "hole" when BitComet it's not using it. Provided, it's set correctly.

• 2 years later...

I have the same 'yellow colour' as them. How do you solve this 'yellow' problem.

Oh by the way. I an 'Marshal' for quite some time. Upgraded from XP to Window

7. <_< Now I have joined the 'Yellow' gang :ph34r: and I can't do anything about it.

Perhap stop all the downloading? And lead a peaceful life and waiting to pass....

Thank you.

I have the same 'yellow colour' as them. How do you solve this 'yellow' problem.

Oh by the way. I an 'Marshal' for quite some time. Upgraded from XP to Window

7. <_< Now I have joined the 'Yellow' gang :ph34r: and I can't do anything about it.

Perhap stop all the downloading? And lead a peaceful life and waiting to pass....

Thank you.

As I've told you before, we cannot help you until you provide more information. Your problem is with your computer, internet connection, or other connected hardware and you're not sharing any of that info even though we've asked you to.

If you're serious about getting help, we will try to help you.

Why is Bitcomet getting the 'yellow light' while the UTorrent is receiving the

'Green light. I didn't change anything after I instal it. Can anyone explain

these. Maybe, the internet like UTorrent more. :wub: :rolleyes: ;)

I still use Bitcomet, but this 'Yellow light' is forcing me to migrate to others.

Thank you.

Edited by Fuckee (see edit history)

Why is Bitcomet getting the 'yellow light' while the UTorrent is receiving the

'Green light. I didn't change anything after I instal it. Can anyone explain

these. Maybe, the internet like UTorrent more. :wub: :rolleyes: ;)

I still use Bitcomet, but this 'Yellow light' is forcing me to migrate to others.

Thank you.

The yellow light is an indication that you don't have an open inbound connection to the internet. It's not a bitcomet problem, it's a problem with your internet service, router, firewall, or other device. We cannot begin to help you until we know what hardware and software you are using.

• 7 months later...

Oh! I am back again. Now it's on version 1.37. Seems that it is giving me problems.

I don't know is it virus or my computer, which is on Window 7 Ultimate. I have temporary

migrate to UTorrent. But I find Bitcomet is more useful. Because I've been usuing it

a couple of years. Is this version giving lots of problems to others?

Please give me a reason, so that I can continue to use Bitcomet. Oh! Lately Bitcomet

is having some conflict with Avast and sometime Firefox. Hope you can safe the

day for me, to keep me continue using Bitcomet.

Is being in the ranking of Marshal mean anything?

Thank for all the help. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fuckee (see edit history)