To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

consistant error messages

justsolace

torrents from numerouse sites that come with the favorites bar effecting multiple torrents. Running Bitcomet 1.31 on windows 7 pentium laptop. bitcomet ran fine untill while I was leeching Japanese commercials 2011 i downloaded a thing called unity and started getting error messages. Uninstalled unity and bit commet. reinstalled bit comet still get errors.

okay, say the torrent is japanese commercials and I click to grab the torrent. It shows up with the file names of all the video clips and I confirm it to bitcomet, however, when in the files section it will not download and only a red x appears there. When I mouse hover over the x it shows me the error. Don't know what I did wrong. I have no technical ability. haha.

sorry I've been trying to up my learning curve here... I don't know if this helps. 2012-01-25 00:25:57 Open torrent file: Bit9945.tmp

2012-01-25 00:26:04 Task started.

2012-01-25 00:26:04 Open torrent file: Japanese Basic I and II with NHK Japanese.torrent

2012-01-25 00:26:04 Failed creating folder: C:\Downloads\Japanese Basic I and II with NHK Japanese [The system cannot find the file specified]

2012-01-25 00:27:52 Task started.

2012-01-25 00:27:52 Open torrent file: Japanese Basic I and II with NHK Japanese.torrent

2012-01-25 00:27:52 Failed creating folder: C:\Downloads\Japanese Basic I and II with NHK Japanese [The system cannot find the file specified]

BitComet is telling you that, for whatever reason, trying to create that folder failed. That means an OS failure. The most likely issue is that it is not a legal name under the OS rules. This happens when folders are created on Macs or machines running *nix. It can also be for any of the reasons that would prevent a folder from being created, including lack of drive space.

You can try saving the contents to a specified place when you load the torrent. That might work.

That's a generic system error sent to the application. You can right click a file in the bitcomet's file list and select open folder, or go to it manually; if an error pops up or you can't find the folder it means bitcomet failed to write in the downloads folder, if it's there it means it failed to read from that folder. Either way it might be a permissions issue. Go to your C:\ drive and right click the Downloads folder, select proprieties, go to the Security tab, click the Edit button, select "Users(pc name\Users)" and activate the "Full control" checkbox. Make sure that all other user classes have full control of that folder too. If you want to be specific select the "Advanced" button instead of Edit and you can set permissions just for your user name.

On another note, what security software do you use?

I think it makes sense when you think about the sequence. The LOG says, "I couldn't create the file." Then, the red X mouseover says, "I couldn't find the file", but it doesn't know why -- it just knows that the file's not there.

If it were a permission issue, then all downloads to that folder should fail. Is that happening?

The weird thing is that the LOG says, "I couldn't FIND the file" (look a few posts above) when it probably would be clearer to say that it couldn't create it first.

That's rather confusing. But it may be a translation slip up.

• 4 years later...

I get the RED X on a torrent, and the status is: Stopped [Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy Check)

I'll restart and it lasts for about 15 secs before getting the RED X again.

Windows 10 Pro

ASUS A55V Laptop

Intel i7 3610QM

8GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce 610M - 2GB RAM

850 EVO 500GB SSD

Downloading to a Seagate Backup Plus 3 GB External Drive

Arris modem (TM822)

Sagecom router (3965CV)

• Like 1

I get the RED X on a torrent, and the status is: Stopped [Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy Check)

I'll restart and it lasts for about 15 secs before getting the RED X again.

Windows 10 Pro

ASUS A55V Laptop

Intel i7 3610QM

8GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce 610M - 2GB RAM

850 EVO 500GB SSD

Downloading to a Seagate Backup Plus 3 GB External Drive

Arris modem (TM822)

Sagecom router (3965CV)

Try stopping the torrent and do a manual rehash, also make sure the external drive is available. This sometimes happens if you have a "green" or power saving drive that powers down to save power, but for bittorrent use the drive must be always on. You can save wear by increasing the size of your disc cache. You may also consider downloading to a local drive then set bitcomet to move the tasks to an external drive if you can't figure out how to keep the drive always active.