To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Hola, soy "nuevo"

Hola,

pues nada, me presento, soy "nuevo", es decir, ya he usado torrents antes, pero lo deje, y ahora vuelvo a ello, a compartir.

Salu2,

PD: si alguien supiera explicarme como se comparten archivos se lo agradeceria. Puedo crear un torrent, pero despues ¿hay que hacer algo mas, o al que le pase mi torrent lo abre y ya puede descargar?

Hello.

Well, let me introduce myself, I'm "new", that is to say, I've used torrents in the past but I left it - now I've come back to share.

Regards.

PS - If someone could explain to me how to share files, I'd appreciate it.

I can/ [know how to?] create a torrent but afterwards, do I have to do something more or can the person to whom I pass on my torrent, [simply] open it and download it [directly]? (Sorry but the original wording isn't very precise - cassie)

Edited by cassie (see edit history)

Well, there is a quite detailed guide in here: Making torrents with BitComet.

I don't know how good your English is though. If you don't understand English at all then you'd need a friend to translate the topic for you.

If you do understand some English then maybe you could ask Cassie in this topic here, for some clarifications on anything that you don't quite understand well.

Ok. Gracias por la guía. No sabía que en el foro de español también había que escribirlo en inglés. Salu2,

Ok. Thank you for the guide. I didn't know that in the Spanish forum i have to write in English too. Regards.

Well, you DON'T have to write in English in the Spanish forums. Usually Cassie translates the posts back and forth between Spanish and English both for us (the Technical Support Team) and the users since we don't speak Spanish either.

Apparently you got to read my reply before she had a chance to log in into the forum.

However, the link I gave you is part of the official Help Documentation which is in English only. I don't think Cassie has the time (at least at the present moment) to undertake such a tedious job as translating the whole help documentation, which is at least several dozen pages long.

So, you'll have to make the best of it as it is.

Actually, she has translated quite a lot of the documentation over the years, I just don't know which parts, but look at her signature for most of them.

In the meantime, I wanted to correct something you said. You spoke of "the person to whom I pass on my torrent". This indicates, to me, a great misunderstanding.

A torrent is meant for many people to download and share. Bittorrent was made for this, requires this. It was not made for one person to pass a file to another. Bittorrent is very, very bad and very slow at transfers from one person directly to another. If you want to do a one-to-one transfer, then any other method (such as ftp) would be better and much faster.

ideally, you would not give a copy of a torrent to another person. Instead, you would upload it to a tracker, where many people could download it. But after you did that, you would then need to seed the torrent, and keep seeding it until some other peers had completely downloaded it and were taking over the seeding job for you. Others would come along in turn, keeping the torrent alive as downloaders turn into seeders in their turn. The whole scheme depends on many, many people downloading the torrent. This is how bittorrent works.

Well, you DON'T have to write in English in the Spanish forums. Usually Cassie translates the posts back and forth between Spanish and English both for us (the Technical Support Team) and the users since we don't speak Spanish either.

Apparently you got to read my reply before she had a chance to log in into the forum.

However, the link I gave you is part of the official Help Documentation which is in English only. I don't think Cassie has the time (at least at the present moment) to undertake such a tedious job as translating the whole help documentation, which is at least several dozen pages long.

So, you'll have to make the best of it as it is.

No problem. I understand English well enough. I have read the help documentation and i have understood everthing.

Actually, she has translated quite a lot of the documentation over the years, I just don't know which parts, but look at her signature for most of them.

In the meantime, I wanted to correct something you said. You spoke of "the person to whom I pass on my torrent". This indicates, to me, a great misunderstanding.

A torrent is meant for many people to download and share. Bittorrent was made for this, requires this. It was not made for one person to pass a file to another. Bittorrent is very, very bad and very slow at transfers from one person directly to another. If you want to do a one-to-one transfer, then any other method (such as ftp) would be better and much faster.

ideally, you would not give a copy of a torrent to another person. Instead, you would upload it to a tracker, where many people could download it. But after you did that, you would then need to seed the torrent, and keep seeding it until some other peers had completely downloaded it and were taking over the seeding job for you. Others would come along in turn, keeping the torrent alive as downloaders turn into seeders in their turn. The whole scheme depends on many, many people downloading the torrent. This is how bittorrent works.

I didn't want to talk about a one-to-one transfer, but about sharing a torrent in a forum. I uploaded a torrent i made in a site, and my bitcomet says there are hundreds of people who want to download, and i'm uploading and sharing. But where i uploaded the torrent it says 0 seeds 0 peers. I know how bittorrent works, maybe i didn't explain me at all. Maybe i didn't upload my torrent to a good site. Could you tell me someone which really tracks the info? Or doesn't it mind? I'm uploading, and i have no need to stop it.

Thanks. Regards.

Edited by mili6 (see edit history)

The site will hopefully tell you how many people have downloaded your torrent since you uploaded it. If that number is zero, then there may be a problem with the site. Just about any torrent will get at least one download on a reasonably busy site. Having none suggests that nobody has been able to successfully download it. There's probably nothing that you can do about that.

If the site says there are zero seeds, then you need to make sure that you are seeding the torrent, for it surely ought to be counting at least you. This is different from what your client says, as it DOESN'T count you.

Many people would look at the torrent on the site, see "0 seeds, 0 peers" and not bother with the torrent, figuring that it is dead. When you upload a torrent to a site, you must begin seeding it immediately. If you don't, a lot of people will see it has no seeders, figure it's dead, pass it by and never look at it again. You should check the tracker status of your seeding torrents to make sure you are communicating with the tracker and are actually seeding.

In the latest versions of BitComet there has been a reported bug, which the team didn't manage to eliminate completely yet since it required some more extensive source code rewrite.

It has to do with reporting an increasingly bigger number of peers than there actually are present in the swarm, for some torrents.

It may have something to do with the fact that you see lots of peer which seem to be "ghost" peers in fact.

Ok. And what must i do to make know the tracker i am seeding? Because, when i uploaded the torrent, immediately i downloaded it, and i opened it. BitComet checked the download progress, it showed 100%, and i started uploading. It was 3 days ago, but the tracker still says 0 seeds. Can you recommend me a good tracker, please?

Thanks. Regards.

PS: I read about this BitComet bug, so maybe i'm uploading to no one. But at least i should be in the tracker, i suppose.

If you're using Initial seeding option, turn it off. Some trackers will see this type of seeder as a peer, not as a seed and won't report it as being seeded. By now, most every tracker I know of has adapted and recognizes this type of seeding, but try it anyway, can't hurt.