To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Alternative fix for Port Detection Failed besides port forwarding?

BitComet (64 bit) 1.31

ADSL

Verizon Westell E90 modem

Linksys E1000 wireless router

Windows 7

Firewall on, bitcomet exceptions all enabled

Avira antivirus

I've been trying to troubleshoot a recent (48 hours) problem in which I get the gray circle and Port Detection Failed message. I've been running BitComet for a year or so before this without a hitch.

I spent a few hours today trying to follow the port forwarding part of the BitComet wiki, but I'm unable to set a static IP address (it tells me that another computer on my network already has that address, no matter which number I assign to it), and when I try to follow the portforward.com instructions for my router, it prompts me to enter my static IP address but only gives me the "192.168.1." option, and my IP address is a 192.168.0.___ format.

I'm not incredibly tech savvy, but I have tried my best to read every "read this first" and tutorial before posting this.

My question is:

Is there an alternative to port forwarding and setting a static IP address to fix the Port Detection Failed issue?

It was just working very well earlier this week with all the same equipment, same firewall settings and same antivirus software running, and the only thing that disrupted any part of my system was the storm induced power failure that caused my modem to need a hard reset - but everything is functioning perfectly except the torrent download sites like BitComet.

Thanks much.

If you get a gray circle it means that your computer doesn't even get through to the BitComet testing server. So you can even go out.

Port forwarding attempts to fix the issue of incoming connections while you seem to have an issue even prior to that with outgoing connections (at least the ones concerning the Comet servers).

So, if you want help from our part on this one, you really need to explain in detail (as requested in those "Read Me First" topics that you read) how many networking devices you have between your PC and the Internet, what exactly they are (make and model) and how are they interconnected and set.

Which of the several "read me first" topics am I missing? I detailed in my initial post everything I have. A modem, a wireless router and my computer. The details of their make and models are in my initial post.

I don't know which settings are critical to this issue, but I'd be happy to list any of the specifics I can that would be relevent. I have never had any reason to stray from the factory defaults of the modem or router and so I'd be very interested to know which are considered critical for BitComet functioning so I can fix what ails them.

I missed your modem model (confused it with ISP specs), my bad.

Apparently your modem is also a router itself, so you're using two cascaded routers now. My guess is that your modem was set in bridge mode, prior to the hard reset, so, you only had a single router between you and the Internet previously.

Now you have 2 standing.

In this context your explanation about the port forwarding you performed, in the first post, becomes pretty muddled, since it's not clear on which device you were trying to perform port forwarding.

You either need to perform it on both now (as explained in the wiki) or set the modem in bridge mode (I can't help you with that, since it's a device specific operation, but it should be somewhere in its menu, if it's possible) and then deal only with your wireless router.

Thanks for your help! It works in Bridge mode - that was the problem.

Apparently in recovering from the hard modem reset, the Verizon folks walked me through logging in and apparently coming out of Bridge mode - not sure why, but that was the only issue.

:)

I can set my router's base address to whatever I please.

Using the 192.168.xxx.xxx block is prudent, because the whole block is reserved for private subnets like yours and mine.

If I want, I can set my base address to 192.168.0.1. Or, again if I want, I can set it to 192.168.1.1

Either one's as good as the other, and it's entirely my personal choice.

The router maker sets a base address by default. Some makers' default address is 192.168.0.1, others are 192.168.1.1, still others 192.168.2.1, and some change the base address from model to model. You, yourself, can change it to whatever you like.

So when you see portforward.com talking about these addresses, they try to get the maker's default right for each model, but they don't always succeed. I understand them to mean the router's base address, whatever it happens to be. If they are talking about 192.168.1.x and mine's 192.168.2.x, this isn't a problem for me, I just translate and adjust. It shouldn't be a big issue for anyone.

I always change my current gateway or router's base address to 192.168.2.1 because that was my first router's default and everything else on the network expects it there. It's a lot easier for me to change the router's base, than everything else on the network!