To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

WAN IP blocked... Why?

I apologize if I was not supposed to create a new topic for this. I didn't see it in the rules post.

Network Information

Connection: ADSL (via Time Warner Cable RoadRunner)

Modem: Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem

Router: Belkin F7D8302 v1

Client Information

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

COMODO Internet Security

BitComet v 1.31

Hello,

I have a slight issue with my BitComet Configuration. I always get the "Yellow Light" with a message that my WAN IP address and the specified port, are blocked. This leads me to wonder if there is a conflict somewhere. I have double checked my settings and I must be blunt.

Something is very wrong.

All my settings from listen port to static IP address have remained the same since I built my PC. Originally, I had BitLord installed, but due to a software corruption, I uninstalled and gave BitComet a try, due to my friends' exaltations. (I love it!) However, somehow these same settings that worked in BitLord and when I first installed BitComet no longer give the "Green Light".

I have created rules in my firewall to prevent issues with BitComet. I have forwarded the port in my Router configuration. I have read several wiki pages, as well as all relevant pages on http://www.portforward.com I have set my PC to a static IP address. I have configured the port in BitComet. I resized my DHCP IP address Pool to exclude my static IP. I have tried configuring with UPnP. I have restarted my PC, Router, and Modem in pretty much any conceivable order, as well as performing Hard Resets on Router and Modem.

It seems that something, somewhere, somehow was changed, and nothing I seem to do has any effect.

So... either my ISP is specifically targeting me; my ISP blocks all BitComet listening; or there is something going on I'll likely look like an idiot for forgetting. I have been struggling with this since it randomly happened a few months ago. I wanted to wait and patiently read all the necessary articles, but everything indicates I must not have forwarded my port correctly, even though I am absolutely certain I have.

I have also tried CanYouSeeMe.org and it was NOT able to see my service

Error: I could not see your service on xx.xxx.xxx.xx on port (xxxxx)

Reason: Connection timed out

Is there anything left to try? Or am I just cursed by the Tech Gods?

Websites I have tried:

http://portforward.c...v1/BitComet.htm

http://www.cometforums.com/

http://wiki.bitcomet...Asked_Questions

http://wiki.bitcomet...g_in_nat_router

http://wiki.bitcomet...omet_status_bar

http://blog.bitcomet...ete/post_14378/

http://blog.bitcomet...bt2/post_14684/

http://www.canyouseeme.org

Do you know if your surfboard modem has a firewall or NAT features? I tried to look it up, but I'm unsure which model you have.

Also, if your port was open, then one day you rebooted and it's no longer open, then the most likely cause is your IP address changed. I realize you set it to static, but there may have been a problem and windows will often offer to "fix" the problem, if you agree then it assigns you a new IP. Check what local IP your computer is using by running IPconfig at a command prompt, then check your routers setup page and make sure it matches the portforward setting.

Also make sure you don't have two or more firewalls running, you're using an internet security suite that has one, and windows has one also. Your router and perhaps even your modem also have a firewall too, it only takes one of these to block your incoming connections.

canyouseeme.org sends a probe to the port number that you specify.

If something reacts to the probe, then CYSM knows it got through to whatever service is running there.

If there is no reaction, then a firewall is blocking the port. Firewalls do their best to look like a hole in cyberspace, "nothing here, nobody to attack, move along" which usually results in a timeout at CYSM.

You may have had your firewall(s) configured properly before, but apparently not now. If the firewall gets reset to its default state for whatever reason (which happens from time to time), then you need to reconfigue it. You may have installed a new software firewall without even knowing it.. Firewalls are gates, and one closed gate blocks the path even if the others are open.

Thank you both for your replies. I have tried completely disabling my software firewall completely (after trying to add BitComet in the Trusted Programs group), and this has no effect. Also, I can log into the surfboard modem from a browser, but it seems to have no security features beyond those preventing cable/signal theft. The config page lists the downstream IP and frequency, but there are no firewall settings to configure.

It is a Motorola SurfBoard SB5101.

EDIT: Windows Firewall is disabled, as I feel the "protection" it offers is relatively pointless. Other security suites have better configurations with more options that play well across Firewall, AV, and Sandbox software.

Edited by IamAnon (see edit history)

Making very sure that you have an active software firewall running, try temporarily taking your router out of the loop -- connecting directly to the modem, which will require you to reconfigure your network settings (or, if it doesn't, you've probably got your answer right there) before connecting.

Then try it again and see if you're still apparently firewalled. If you are now open, then you know your router settings were incorrect and it is firewalling you.

If you are still not open, then you do NOT know that your router settings are right, they still might be wrong, but you do know that there is another firewall in the woodpile. TWC does not normally firewall their connections, so unless your circumstances are really unusual, it is probably a software firewall running on your computer. In that case you get to play "Find the firewall", by examining each running process listed in Process Manager, and googling to find out exactly what it is.

On the good side, you'll probably find a lot of junk that you don't want running and didn't know about. On the bad side, this is painstaking and boring, not to mention lengthy. You can't, however, say that you know for sure you don't have another firewall running until you've gone through this. and know what everything that IS running, does.

From the software I see installed, I do not have any firewall applications. I am fairly certain I know what each of my processes do, as I installed specific programs fully aware of their features. The other processes are Microsoft related and are required for various purposes such as serving media etc. Anything I do not recognize is routinely scanned and quarantined.

I may not be a genius when it comes to networking, but I'm pretty sure I followed the guide on portforward to a T. Several times. So I am absolutely sure that my Router config is correct.

The only unique thing about my network config is that almost every computer (not the router or modem) has a custom HOSTS file. This is one of the only things I did not manually configure, so there may be an entry there, but I doubt it.

I'm rather confused.

You have Internet through xDSL but are using a Cable modem??!!

So, what type of Internet and what type of modem do you actually use?

You'd better give an exact model for your modem and a graphic description of your cable coming out from your wall (or whatever) into your modem. Is it a coaxial antenna cable (which is the one usually used by cable modems) or a bifilar cable with a RJ11 plastic jack at the end which goes into your modem?

The hosts file is mainly used to assign IPs to host names, overruling DNS, hence the name.

Even the most thoroughly checked configurations can have errors, more so as you don't have direct access to the file itself. For the sake of testing you should try Kluelos's advice on bypassing the router altogether. If it works it's a problem in your router, if it still doesn't work it's a problem in your PC. Either way you still narrow down your search.

I tried to bypass the router, and everything worked fine.

So the problem is in my router. Problem is... MY CONFIG IS CORRECT!!!!11 Everything seems to be setup correctly.

So even though my config is correct (according to every single guide i've read about port forwarding), it doesnt work...

I shrunk the IP address pool for the router so it would not ever give my static IP to another device.

I set my computer to this IP and confirmed with ipconfig /all

I chose a random port xxxxx

I set all traffic incoming on that port (in the router) to be sent to my PC (on the same port)

I configured BitComet to Listen on this port.

I also configured BOTH Windows Firewall and COMODO Firewall to allow traffic on the specified ports and I tried turning COMODO off and Windows Firewall ON, to no change.

I updated my Router's firmware to the latest possible version...

Yet I am blocked. I don't understand what is wrong. How is there anything wrong with this config?

Well, from the bunch of statement you presented above, IT APPEARS that you did everything right. Alas, we can't really SEE what you actually DID at each step.

Can you post the content of the Statistics tab? Just copy-paste them here.

UPDATE: after reconnecting my PC to the router, everything miraculously worked. I did not change any settings when removing the router (other than disconnecting from the network) nor did I change any settings by reconnecting to the router after the test.

I have no idea why it started to work all of a sudden...

Before CYSM could not see my BitComet Service

After setting EXACTLY as before, CYSM could see BitComet

Strange...

Edited by IamAnon (see edit history)