To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Speed problem with new bitcomet version.

Sabrips

Hello!

I was using the 0.78 version of BitComet and was downloading to a speed up to 245kB/s. I upgraded to the 1.33 version and now my torrents start at 0kB/s and it takes them like 1 minute to go to a max speed of 129-130kB/s and immediately go back to 0. They stay at 0 for like 2-4 minutes and then start again.

Before installing the 1.33 version I didnt have a static Ip or had portforwarded. Now I have tried that, but still no change. I find myself downloading at an average 20kB/s (according to bitcomet) So for example: torrents of 260MB are finished in 3.5 hours when before it used to take me about 30mins

No other computers are using the same internet conection at the time I use bitcomet. I haven't installed any other programs since then and I cannot use system restore.

Any suggestions?

Data:

BitComet version: 1.33

Internet Wireless conection

Thomson-Alcatel router Speedtouch 585. Portforwarded.

Windows Vista home premium 32bit. With Norton 360 antivirus.

According to speedtest.net my speed is: 1.80Mbps download and 0.85Mbps Upload.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Sabrips (see edit history)

Hi queeniequ!

I installed the 1.34 version and re-checked the Static Ip and portforward but it didnt fix the problem.

I also tried to download a 2.3Gb file directly from FF and IE just to check my conection and both downloaded at an average 190KBps.

I am using the 1.32 and the same problem with it... suddenly the download rate goes to simply "0" but the tasks are not stopped

It is really weird, and again it start downloading after few tryings (I myself clicking on Stop - Play) or by the program itself (but that is not really common)

I have the firewall down, the antivirus down, the ports opened via router (and even that way sometimes Comet can't listen them) but anyways, the downloads I have on the list should be easy to download at full speed (sooo many seeds)

If I can find more info about the problem, then going to post it here tomorrow maybe.

Since both of you didn't mention anything about your connections settings in BitComet it looks like you may need to brush up on these topics first:

BitComet settings guide

All my other Internet applications either slow down or say they can't connect when I use BitComet. What's going on and how can I fix this?

@ Satoshi_Yahiko: The fact that you may have a similar problem as the original poster doesn't exempt you from posting all the info required in the "Read This Before Posting" topic; your issues may be similar but you're not using his computer to run BitComet. B)

Im sorry greywizard!

Yes, I did fail to mention but I have set up BitComet according to the Bitcomet Settings Guide and the Up to date BitComet Speed Guide. I have turned off firewall and even turned off the antivirus but still no change.

I'll edit my original post...

I've read this but that's not my issue, the only other application I use while bitcomet is on is FF and it doesnt slow down.

I've also read this but I dont think is the problem, because during the time that the bitcomet tasks are at '0' the router is not affected, Anyway I also set up bitcomet by that guide and nothing changed.

Tnks anyway.

Turning off your firewall is like taking your front door off the hinges because you had trouble with the lock. Expect your TV and stereo to go walkabout. Expect people you'd rather not associate with to move into your living room. Seriously, expect your identity to go walking out the door, and your computer to be used for sending spam and participating in DDOS attacks. It takes more time for you to take a shower than it does to have your computer infected and zombied with no firewall to stop it.

Turn your firewall back on. Now disinfect your computer thoroughly. Antivirus, spybot S&D, rootkit, antimalware.

See if you can borrow a whiteboard at a local school somewhere. On it, write "I will not connect to the internet without a working firewall", 500 times.

I guess I should've written: "Turned of my firewall FOR A LITTLE WHILE" but thanks for the advice kluelos... dont worry its back on.

I unistalled the 1.34 version and re-installed the 0.78. Still no change.

I installed other version and the most stable for me is the 0.98. I set it up according to the guides and it still has the up and down speed problem but it spends less time at '0'. About 1 minute now. So I'm downloading at an average 120kB/s still its not even half of what it used to but its not 20.

I shouln't have upgraded it in the first place. I guess you dont mess with what it works.

Thanks for trying to help guys! :D

I think the problem here might be that you're expecting each task to download at the same speed, some will be slow, some fast and you just proved this because you got the same performance with the older version. I'd recommend trying a torrent for one of the major Linux distributions like ubuntu. If it downloads fast then you'll know the original problem was a lack of good peers to connect to.

Your issue looks very much like what happens when you don't manage to upload much towards other peers or when you have a blocked listening port.

Go to the Statistics tab and do: Right-click-->Copy All then paste the info here.

I'm curious about your stats.

Hi!

Sorry I've been a little busy.

@The UnUsual Suspect:

I know different torrents have different download rates, when I tried the different versions I did it with the same torrent (this) and left it downloading 2 hours with each version. The only one that went up to an average 120kB/s was the 0.98. the rest: 20kB/s

@Greywizard:

I tried again the 1.34 version but the same thing, it goes from 0 to 130kB/s (at much) and almost immediately goes back to 0. then starts again.

Here are the stats:

Up Time: 0:52:49

Overall Tasks: Total: 8 / Running: 1

TCP Connections: Established: 48 [MAX:Unlimited] / Half-Open: 104 [MAX:200]

LAN IP: 192.168.x.xx

WAN IP: 190.148.xxx.xxx

Listen Port of TCP: 62813 (Opened in Firewall/Router)

Listen Port of UDP: 62813 (Opened in Firewall/Router)

Windows Firewall: Added [TCP added, UDP added]

UPnP NAT port mapping: Added

Disk Boost Service: Not Installed

Overall Download Rate: 0 kB/s [MAX:200] Max Connection Limits: 50 per task

Overall Upload Rate: 0 kB/s [MAX:80] LT Seeding: 0 kB/s [MAX:4] All BT Upload Slots: 0

Memory Usage: Working Set: 43.05 MB, Commit Size: 49.44 MB

Free Memory: Phys: 256.08 MB (Min to keep: 50 MB), Pagefile: 825.98 MB, Virtual: 1.77 GB

Disk Cache Size: 12.50 MB (Min: 6 MB, Max: 50 MB)

Disk Read Statistics: Request: 285 (freq: 0.0/s), Actual Disk Read: 95 (freq: 0.0/s), Hit Ratio: 66.6%

Disk Write Statistics: Request: 5918 (freq: 0.0/s), Actual Disk Write: 283 (freq: 0.0/s), Hit Ratio: 95.2%

Total Downloaded: 83.79 GB (this session: 54.18 MB)

Total Uploaded: 146.75 GB (this session: 4.72 MB)

I've tried 21 different torrents so far (One by one). Videos, complete dvds, music, games, from 200Mb to 7Gb. None older than 2 months. I've left them downloading for several time and nothing.

1. Please set the minimum desk cache to 50 MB and maximum to 200MB.

2. Set the Upload Rate limints for Long-Term Seeding in sub-menu of Task to 30kb/s.

3. During the downloading, check the Peer Status, do all the faces turn out to be yellow ?

4. Could you provide a link where you usually obtain your torrents?

Hi!

@Queeniequ

I set the things you mentioned and its still the same, speed up and down like a rollercoaster.

3. The are some yellow faces but most of them are green. I would say 20% yellow faces.

4. I've always downloaded Tv series from eztv and movies form thepiratebay. (I rarely download other stuff, but I been trying other torrents like games and music since this problem from the piratebay also)

@The UnUsual Suspect

I have 2gb ram.

1. Please check your router settings to see whether your router has a speed limit.

2. Disable the firewall installed on your computer especially the third party firewall and restart BC.

3. Inquire relevant ISP about any restriction concerning download. Make sure that in your country you are allowed to download BT files.

Sabrips, Vista will just barely run in 2GB of memory. That's really tiny, and I suspect it's probably causing your system to run in the page file. That will really slow things down. If BitComet (or any other bittorrent client) can't effectively buffer its data in memory, then it is forced to write to disk, ready or not. Now both are competing for the disk.

As cheap as RAM is now, I really suggest you upgrade. Take it to at least 8 GB if you can. A flyer from my local electronic megamart offers 8 GB Corsair for US$25, and you should be able to find some locally or on the net for about that price too.

Hello!

@queeniequ

Tec guy came to perform test to the router and checked the wires and everything but couldnt find wnything wrong.

@kluelos

That must be it because we've donde a lot to fix it but nothing seems to work.

Weird thing is it used to work perfect with the old version I had.

Tnks anyways guys, I appreciate all the help!

• 2 weeks later...

you know i'm having the same problem,but when i cut bit comet off all my other stuff,ie,ff or chrome start working like regular.has any anybody downgraded to a lower version ,and have every thing work as before?

Your problem doesn't sound like it's related to this at all. You could have an overloaded router, but you're going to have to make your own topic after reading the link in my signature so you know what info to provide.

• 1 year later...

Hello! Looks like I have the same problem as an author of the thread, is there a solution to this?

This usually happens only to big torrents (more than 7GB) with big number of seeds, speed goes up and down, which greatly lowers the average speed.

Using 1.36 64bit, also tried 32bit and some other 1.3x versions.

Tried reinstalling OS with full format.

Tried same torrents with other torrent clients - no problems at all, average is greatly higher, no roller coaster.

Hello! Looks like I have the same problem as an author of the thread, is there a solution to this?

This usually happens only to big torrents (more than 7GB) with big number of seeds, speed goes up and down, which greatly lowers the average speed.

Using 1.36 64bit, also tried 32bit and some other 1.3x versions.

Tried reinstalling OS with full format.

Tried same torrents with other torrent clients - no problems at all, average is greatly higher, no roller coaster.

As I mentioned to the previous member it's best to make a new topic describing your problem and including all the info about your system and connection, but from what you describe it sounds like this could be a router overload, some don't handle a lot of connections very well and others do, but I can't really comment further since I don't even know if you use a router. I'd also look on wiki.bitcomet.com, we've put together some useful info on how to deal with this problem.