To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Vip, WiP

Sharuga624

• 7 months later...

I bought 10gb on VIP and cannot get it to work-is there any way you can explain the procedure step by step how to get it to work-would be very much obliged as I think many people would be happy if it was explained to them as well...

Thanks for the additional info, if I had known that it would have explained a lot. Normally when a torrent stops at a certain point it's because there are no seeds and there is no way VIP can get you something that doesn't exist. You can liken this to ordering a new TV from walmart.com and finding out they are out of stock, so upgrading shipping from 3day to overnight shipping won't get the TV to you any faster.

To confirm this you can look at the peers column of the task and see how many seeds and peers are listed. If the seeds are "0" but there are some peers listed, look at your peers list and see if others are stuck at the same level. If so, your only option is to wait in hopes that someone returns to seed it, abandon the torrent and look for another, or you can sometimes request a reseed on the tracker or website where you got the torrent.

Regarding the VIP, if it hasn't prepared the channel yet you can cancel vip on this task, if it has prepared you can wait 24hours and cancel vip if it hasn't completed.

exactly, so basically no one has the missing files. Sometimes this can change but many times it means the torrent is dead so finding another would be the best option. In the future you can spot these torrents by checking the peer column, if you see no seeds and many peers stuck at the same level, it's usually best to not waste your time one it.

• 1 year later...

What if there are peers and seeds and every time it starts to download (after some 80+% has done) and it shows a message: "stopped (error: access is denied)???

This could be a harddrive problem or could mean the drive is simply full.

• 2 months later...

If you have no downloading problems in general when downloading torrents and you have a good upload speed, does VIP download do anything for you at all? I mean, I think I understand how it works - the VIP server has a massive connection that does so the good peers are connected to the VIP server, due to the BitTorrent protocol (more seeding = more peers), this works. But if you have a good connection, you shoot yourself in the foot? The peers seed to the VIP server (and NOT to you, because they favor the VIP server) that sends it to you. So in the end it will be the same, but the data has been a trip to China first..... Thus this service is only for the ones with a crappy uploading connection - that can't seed anyway. AND it creates an environment where only the ones who have bought a VIP server get a good speed; if you have a crappy uploading connection.

It works like a "seed-box" (A server with a torrent-client installed; typically Linux OS with uTorrent) - you just have absolutely no control over that seed-box; if you want it to keep seeding or stop the task. Isn't it cheaper and more convenient to buy a seed-box?

Or am I missing something? :)

Best regards,

XSTREM

Edited by XSTREM (see edit history)

Hi Xtreme, glad to see you again after so long.

You seem to have a grasp of how vip works, it will benefit users with limited upload ability or those who want to use anonymous download feature. As for the servers, I don't believe any of them are physically located in China, rather in many locations. VIP had a rough start, many users purchased it for the wrong reasons, for example it cannot finish an unseeded task, it cannot defy the laws of science by downloading faster than your connection speed allows.

If you want to own your own seedbox that would probably be a better option for someone who downloads a lot, but these days you have to be careful where you rent your servers from.

• Like 1

yep, thanks for the reply , have downloaded ver 1.38 64 bit , and can download non VIP torrents whilst VIP enabled torrents say " VIP acceleration is enabled.Your download channel is ready" seeds/peers is zero and download time is infinity - this is for 2 current tv show torrents - the non VIP is downloading at between 900 to 1000 kB/s........ why is it so ?

thanks

bubudean

with one of the tasks I could turn VIP off - it then downloaded fairly fast.....the other one I can't cancel VIP so it is stuck.....so basically the VIP isn't working as it should - any more info that I can find out and supply?

thanks

bubudean