To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

My torrent is very slow.

Danxity

My torrent is very slow. I'm getting an average 50kbps for download speed. The torrent site states that there are 122 seeders for the file

If I leave my download on for a while my download speed will become really slow. When it's first starting up it's not downloading very fast maybe 200-300kbps, but if left on for a while it will slow down to 40-50kbps and it will be stuck there until I stop the download and start it back up again.

When it slows down I see these numbers under [seed/Peers/All]

1/10[X/300] Sorry I put x because I forgot what number I got for this. When I see it again I will change it.

My bitcomet wasn't working before because of yellow light, after I opened the listen port in my router it works now. I use listen port 25882. Do I have to open more ports in my router to speed up my download speed?

You are only connected to one seeder, so this task will probably always be slow until more seeds appear. Don't believe the stats listed on the torrent site, they are often weeks old. Also, without more info it's hard to say, but the reason it slows down on you is probably because peers lose interest in trading with you if you're not able to provide them with sufficient download, so they look elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

You are only connected to one seeder, so this task will probably always be slow until more seeds appear. Don't believe the stats listed on the torrent site, they are often weeks old. Also, without more info it's hard to say, but the reason it slows down on you is probably because peers lose interest in trading with you if you're not able to provide them with sufficient download, so they look elsewhere.

Hello...what does it mean peers lose interest in trading with you????

How can I provide to give them sufficient download so they get interest in me and I get faster download?

Thanks...

You must give in order to get. Every peer tries to connect to the fastest and most reliable peers that it can find. Each trade is a mutual decision. Because of this, every peer tends to find its own level -- the fastest exchange with the fastest, the mediocre with the mediocre, and the slow with the slow. If you are not one of the fastest and most reliable connections for this individual torrent, then you will find yourself slipping down to only those peers who can't find a better connection than you.

Watch your upload speed for this torrent. If it drops below 8 KB/s, you're hopelessly slow. See if you're trying to run too many tasks at once.

In this case though, where there is only one seeder, the dynamics of the swarm will be different. You may have a fast download rate at first, until you "catch up" with everyone else, waiting for new pieces from the seeder. Thereafter, all of you will proceed in lock-step as pieces from the seeder are spread among the swarm, until you all reach 100% at about the same time and become seeders yourselves. Those who start downloading afterwards will find many more seeders and will probably be able to download much faster.

When I downloaded something that had like 1000+ seeds I was getting 600kBps+, and I didn't have any problems of the download speed going all the way down to 10kBps.

When I try to download something that only has 100-300 seeders, my download speed starts at like 300kBps and it drops to 1-10kBps.

I might not have a reliable connection because I'm located in Asia I'm guessing. I want to give back what I give but if I can't even finish my download because I'm running super slow I cannot attempt to give me : /

It is your upload speeds that you need to pay attention to, not your download speeds. If the former are awful, the latter will become awful too.

When you start downloading a torrent, everybody is willing to give you a chance, to connect to you and give you a try. Thus, your initial high upload speeds. But each peer discovers that you aren't reciprocating, that you don't upload back very fast or very reliably, so they drop you. Gradually, everybody in the swarm has given you a try and concluded that they can find faster connections to trade with. You are left with only those as slow as you yourself are, hence your pitiful speeds later.

Also make sure you haven't fully saturated your upload bandwidth, in which case you'll be slow to respond to requests so even if you are able to upload a significant amount of data, you'll appear as unable. This is one of the most important settings to properly adjust your upload limit so you're uploading as much as possible, while keeping enough reserve bandwidth for communications.