To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Not connecting

bakhrani

When I try downloading anything from torrent using bitcomet (64bit) 1.36, it's forever showing connecting and no availability for the download. I am using a D-LINK router DIR-605L, Firmware Version : 1.13, and I have forwarded the port. I am using Windows7 Ultimate 64bit and the antivirus I am using is AVG Internet Security 2013. Please help, I have also checked that both antivirus and computer firewall allow bitcomet.

Edited by bakhrani (see edit history)

I have tried downloading many other torrents, but it won't download. I searched for the solutions, and the only answer I got is firewall is blocking the bitcomet, but I checked the firewall,I also checked the antivirus and I also included an exception through the router.

I tried dowloading other stuff but it still has the same problem, and when I am disabling listening mode its downloading but without connecting to seeds. When I set any port and click 'apply', it gives me an error message 'can not listen to port'.

post-128036-0-94098100-1375079275.jpg

Edited by bakhrani (see edit history)

Your listening port is blocked. This is usually blocked by your router, firewall or security software, or by your ISP. You mentioned in your first post that you forwarded your port, if you did this properly it wouldn't be blocked. Accurate information is important, however even without a working listening port you should eventually get peer connections but the torrent will never download if there are no seeds.

This would confirm that your ISP is blocking bittorrent connections. With Encryption set to forced you can only connect to peers that have encryption set to enabled or forced, and using a client that supports encryption.

Some ISP's have been known to use Packet sniffing technology to detect encrypted bittorrent traffic, but most have realized that sniffing random packets is more of a drain on their networks than the p2p traffic is so they just throttle the non-encrypted traffic.

The best option is to find an ISP that actually gives you what you pay for. If they advertise a certain speed, they shouldn't punish you for actually using it.

Regarding your port, you didn't tell us anything about your internet connection so that would be a good place to begin. I'd also try removing your router and see if the port is open. That would help to figure out where it's being blocked, if not the router, then it could be something installed on your PC, or perhaps your modem has a router that you're unaware of, or perhaps you have a type of internet connection that doesn't allow incoming connection attempts.

I tried every possible solution, and came to a conclusion that my isp is blocking it. So I don't think that there is anyway I can open my port except from contacting my isp. So if I have encryption set to force, I wouldn't be able to donload some of the torrents?

You still haven't told us what kind of internet connection you're using or what modem you're using. If your isp is the problem, there probably is nothing you can do about it.

If you have a cellular broadband modem then you won't be able to open a port. If you have a shared connection that is commonly used in college dorms or some apartment buildings, you will need to have the systems administrator to open a port for you if they allow p2p. If you have a real (bi-directional) internet connection, then it should be no problem getting an open port.

With forced encryption you're limiting the peers you can connect to. In a situation where a torrent has little or no peers with encryption enabled, then that would be a problem for you.

When used in a strict bittorrent only environment, both utorrent and bitcomet will perform equally if used properly since they both follow the same strict protocols.

When Bitcomet is able to find sources for the data outside any specific torrents swarm, it is then capable of downloading faster, considerably faster in some cases.

Regarding your port, we cannot help you if you don't provide accurate info.

Someone controls the router that is used to share the internet connection, that person would have to assign you a dedicated port if you want to be able to use p2p downloading of any kind including bitcomet. Without having a specific port assigned to you, the router will have no way to know where the incoming connections should go so they will simply be terminated. Think of it as a telephone without a ringer, you can make as many outgoing connections (calls) as you like, but anyone trying to make an incoming connection (call) will get no answer. In most cases you will eventually gather enough peers to complete the download, but the connection won't be established until you learn they exist and make a connection attempt. One reason this can greatly slow down the process is that the peer will try to connect with you when they need peers and since they are unsuccessful, they will find peers elsewhere and by the time you learn they exist and attempt to connect to them, they may have already reached their target number of peers or even if they do accept your connection, they may not have any bandwidth left to upload any data to you. At best, you'll end up being last in line and it gets worse if the other peer is also blocked, two peers who both have blocked ports can never connect.

If the person who administrates your local network wants to help you open a port you'll need to provide all the info on the "READ THIS before posting" topic which includes the make and model of all hardware including the modem, routers etc.