To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Setting up BitComet to Only Work if VIP-Anonymous is Enabled

danger66

I just purchased some bandwidth for the VIP service.

I only want to process downloads through BitComet if VIP and anonymous download is enabled, but I noticed that sometimes a task is processed without VIP even if I still have VIP bandwidth left.

What settings can I modify in BitComet so that torrents are only downloaded if the VIP feature is working?

Thank you for your help.

If you have vip enabled on all your tasks and select the anonymous option, bitcomet won't connect to any bittorrent peers. It will connect to LTseed peers where are completely separate from the bittorrent swarm and the IP addresses aren't displayed anywhere in the program. If you're overly concerned with privacy and don't want even these blind connections outside the bittorrent swarm you can disable LTseed in either the task or global settings and all your data will come only from the vip servers.

However, vip is designed to take advantage of multiple sources and by limiting them it will affect performance in some cases.

• Like 1

Thank you Guardian Eagle for your answer. I'm not very technically inclined when it comes to these things, so just to make sure I understand. If I want the program to automatically go through the vip servers in anonymous mode, I just need to uncheck "Enable Long Term Seeding" in Options > Task > Long-Term Seeding?

What I'm trying to find are the settings and location in the program I must set to surf anonymous via VIP. Thank you for your help.

Sorry, maybe "surfing" was not the right word. "Downloading" would be more appropriate; in other words, what settings do I have to enable/disable within the Bitcomet program so that ALL torrent downloads through Bitcomet are anonymous? This is explained better on the link below, where a Bitcomet spokesperson was interviewed by Torrentfreak.

http://torrentfreak.com/bitcomet-anonymous-downloads-110602/

To conclude, I want to configure the Bitcomet program to automatically activate anonymous downloads to prevent outsiders from monitoring the transfers. Thank you.

Torrents are usually monitored by 3rd parties that connect to the swarm and collect IP addresses from connections. If you select VIP and have the "anonymous download" box checked when you start the task it won't connect to the tracker at all so you won't be in the swarm. LTseed connections are something completely different, it's a way of sharing files outside of the bittorrent swarm and doesn't share your IP address. It would be possible for a hacker to spy on the connections because you do have an open connection to the LTseed peers, but these connections aren't part of the torrent swarm so will appear like unrelated traffic. I wouldn't disable LTseed simply because it can be very helpful, but for someone that is overly concerned with privacy (read as "paranoid"), you can disable it and then the only connection you will have is with the bitcomet server where the torrent will be running and a few hours after the task completes it will be purged from the servers and no records will remain except in your computer until you choose to delete them.

So the answer to your question is, if your goal is simply to not be listed among the peers in a torrent, then all you have to do is enable vip with anonymous option. If you want to avoid any private connections other than the bitcomet servers, then also disable LTseed. However, there is no option that will prevent you from starting a torrent without turning on vip, you'll have to make a conscious effort with each task you start.

Also understand that VIP is still a work-in-progress.