To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Tracker Grabber Feature

I was wondering if an option can be added to make BitComet grab trackers from different torrent websites (torrentz, kickass, extratorrent, h33t, etc...) around the web according to the torrent's info hash instead of just googling for them and cleaning the impurities to make a compatible list, as some websites don't have this feature (e.g. extratorrent and h33t).

Also, when adding the same torrent through different sources, usually the trackers listed in each torrent file of a different source are different. To further explain myself, let's say we have a torrent file that is downloaded from source A and source B. Now the torrent file from source A is added to BitComet's task list, then the torrent file from source B is added to BitComet's task list. This gives you in BitComet "Torrent Task Exists!", but does not merge the tracker lists. I don't know if it's supposed to merge the lists, but in my experience, it never did it. So, if it isn't a feature already, can it be added?!

Thanks.

It's usually not a good idea to add trackers to a torrent. There is a lot of misinformation about this being spread and although you can use multiple trackers, the torrent would have to be registered with each tracker and if someone was to add a tracker to an unregistered torrent, it would continue to attempt to connect to the tracker causing a serious problem for the tracker administrators and all users. Many tracker Admins regularly change their urls to try and stop this which really is a form of malicious attack.

You really only need one working tracker. There are a couple good "open trackers" that will track any torrent and you can add one of them as a backup incase the main tracker is offline, but please don't add lists of trackers to a torrent unless you have an account with each of them and are going to register the torrent on each one.

Regarding your request, if you're asking for bitcomet to automatically add trackers, that will never happen. If you're asking for it to search for identical torrents on other trackers and/or torrents with some of the same content, bitcomet already does that. It's one of the unique features that bitcomet offers. In some cases a torrent that has no seeds could be completed by a bitcomet peer who was able to find the missing pieces in a different torrent and complete the download and then in turn seed back to the rest of the swarm. This actually happens often and the user could be completely unaware as it's all done automatically.

BitComet also has the ability to download the files from non-bittorrent sources and use them to share with the bittorrent peers.

Thanks for the reply, and I have a couple of questions; Will searching for a torrent through its info hash always come up with trackers that this particular torrent is registered to? So having more trackers in this case is better, right? From my understanding, this increases the probability of having more seeds to download.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my request was based on "identical torrents on other trackers" and not just adding random trackers (for the sake of it =D), but if the answer to the questions is "no", then this concludes to the first paragraph of your reply.

Thanks again! =)

The infohash identifies the content of the torrent pieces, not the files in the torrent, so you could have a torrent with the same exact files but it could have a different infohash. In this case BitComet is the only client that could combine data from the two torrents. If the infohash is the same you can combine the trackers in your torrent, however most of the multiple tracker torrents I've seen have a lot of non-functioning trackers. In theory it is possible for a torrent to have different swarms on separate trackkers in you could combine them, but that would be rare. Usually if a torrent is properly made and uploaded to two or more trackers, the peer lists will be identical and having multiple trackers only adds overhead which wastes bandwidth and resources. Recently most public torrents have been adding one of the major open-trackers, this can be helpful if your primary tracker is offline, but DHT can do the same thing

In summary, I'd say it's highly unlikely you'll find more peers by adding trackers to your torrents. I think it would require an unusual set of circumstances for there two be an identical torrent with two or more different swarms and even if there were, you'd probably find the same peers using DHT anyway.

ps. My main concern is the growing trend people copying long lists of trackers into a torrent. If you look on youtube you'll find video after video of people recommending you do this and it's horrible advice.

From what I've seen so far in Bitcomet, re-adding the same torrent from a different site always merged the lists of trackers on my PC.

If it doesn't do that in your case, that's strange.

It's true that I've tested this a couple of versions back and not on the latest ones, but I'm assuming the feature should still be there.

It's important to note that in order to add the trackers the torrent must have the same infohash. It's common for the same release to be in separate torrents with different infohash, this can be because files have been added or removed or in many cases the original release was in .rar archives and then extracted and put into a torrent. Many trackers require the addition of a small text file such as "torrent downloaded from demonoid.txt" which will change the infohash. In some conditions bitcomet can connect you to peers from these different torrents, but this is all done using bitcomet's proprietary LTseed protocol but there will be no indications of this in the GUI other than connections to LTseed peers. To protect the users privacy there is no indication if such a peer is a previous member of your swarm, a current or previous member of a similar torrent, or a non-bittorrent source.