To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Download Restarting After Reaching 100%

I've been having this issue as of late where a download will finish, and then restart back at 0%. It's really annoying when I finish a 20 gig torrent only to have it restart and have to wait many hours for it to finish again. Does anyone know why this happens and how to stop it?

In the screenshot below, please note the stats versus the values in parentheses. It's the current versus the running total from the restarting.

post-137536-0-16475000-1393478786.png

Edited by ZarafFaraz (see edit history)

When it reaches 100% bitcomet does a hashcheck to confirm all the data is intact, this is probably what you are witnessing. The hashcheck progress is displayed in the same column as the download progress but it will progress much faster.

If you did have some type of error that caused it to crash and restart, you can stop the task and do a manual hash check and resume from your current level of progress.

I'm familiar with the hash check, the icon is yellow while that is happening. This is not what I'm talking about. My download actually resets back to 0% and restarts all over again. Why would the stats of that torrent be the way they are in the above screenshot if not for a restarted torrent?

I wouldn't say that the hash check "finished fine" then, it was a failure. Do you have bitcomet set to append the .bc! extension onto unfinished files? If so I'd try turning off this option, but first I'd look in the download folder and see what is there, it's possible you have both the complete and the incomplete files in the folder.

Also, are you downloading to a local drive or some other type of removable or networked drive?

I only seem to have this problem when downloading large torrents, like 25 gigs. If I force a hash check in the middle of the download, it completes just fine and the download resumes, but when the download finishes, it just jumps back to 0% and starts over again. That is all I know. Other downloads work fine as long as they are not too large.

If you want my help you're going to have to do as I asked, have you looked in your download folder? are you using the option to append the .bc! extension to unfinished files?

My assumption is that something is going wrong when the files are being renamed. This could be a problem with your harddrive and/or file system, but if I cannot get you to even confirm if you're using this option, then it would be foolish to proceed. It also appears you never provided the basic info on your system that is required for all support requests. We ask this info for a very good reason and we've wasted several days so far and I still know nothing about your computer, internet connection or bitcomet settings.

Yes, unfinished files are .bc!

I have the default Bitcomet settings for the most part. I haven't changed anything beyond how many downloads can happen at the same time.

1) Bitcomet 64 bit version 1.35

2) DSL connection, Download: 70.35 Mbps, Upload: 16.25 Mbps

3) Telus DSL router with no port forwarding

4) Windows 7, AVG anti virus

Ok there was two theories I was considering. One is that something caused bitcomet to crash after it renamed the .bc! but before it marked the task as complete, so when it recovered it made new temp files, but in that case you would have both the complete and the .bc! versions. Theory two is that something happened that caused the renaming of the files to fail and the files were lost so the file system couldn't see them, then the task created new empty ones. You could run a file recovery software to see if they can be salvaged, but first I'd recommend scanning your drive for errors. Since you're using default settings your downloads should be in c:\downloads, so scan the C drive. A file system or harddrive error is the most obvious cause here, but if you cannot find any errors I'd try disabling the option to use the .bc! extension on incomplete files, then there will be no renaming when the task is complete.

• 8 months later...

I know this is months after the topic was posted but I found a solution for my identical issue and I decided to post here. Sometimes using a Virtual Disk program can cause problems. In my case - PowerIso. I suggest stopping its process or uninstalling. It was due to *another program is using this file* issue and it sounds like this might have been it for this guy.

Edited by AkashaDark (see edit history)