To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

A real quick question about a custom made torrent

Budthewisest

I have a really dumb question as this should be easily be fixed but I am not sure what exact thing to do. I made a torrent, I have people TRYING to get the file so people do see it. Right now in BitComet under Seed/Peers[all] I have 0/0[0/11] so I do know that there are people trying to get my home made file. I am currently not uploading or downloading anything but not a single person can download my file. What exactly am I doing wrong here? Where can I fix this problem.

I don't really do this but from other's experiences, they have be able to start downloading a file the minute it comes out and for me, it has been a few days. Please help or at least tell me where to look.

I should add more information. I have gone so far as bypassing my small office router and go straight from PC to Wall Outlet, searched the options in BitComet, turned off Windows Firewall, turned off all other upload/downloads, even so far as downloading a secondary Torrent program called Utorrent. I really didn't like Utorrent but I am more trying everything I can think of and the same problem...I cannot upload my file. I have even updated he Trackers and took out some to limit them down on the second day. Still nothing.

Edited by Budthewisest (see edit history)

Sure, the torrent is below but I have changed the trackers to a lower number. I will post the trackers I took out right with the torrent but like I said before, any advice would be nice is all. Just o test all of this, I took the songs out of my toddlers favorite show and made them into MP3s.

The trackers I originally had but followed advice on removing are in the file that goes with the torrent.

My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic Music complete.zip.torrent

Torrent Trackers.txt

I know the songs are probably copywrited but I am more trying to learn is all. My toddler loves the songs in his show so I figured I could both take the songs from his show and learn by doing so is all.

And it was me that did the editing work to MP3s, I didn't take someone elses work and say it was my own.

-----------------------------------------

The torrent worked, however I think you made some poor choices in the way you made it, but first...

Initially I was able to see that you were a peer, but not a seeder. If you're using "initial seed" mode I recommend you stop, This option is only recommended for users who need to conserve bandwidth and even then only works well on very popular torrents.

I was unable to connect to you but after I let the torrent run for about 20mins it connected and downloaded very fast. I suspect your listening port is blocked so you were not getting my connection attempts and I had to wait until one was sent from you. If my port was also blocked we would have never connected.

Other issues:

The list of trackers served no purpose, unless you are actually uploading the torrent onto each of those trackers there is no point in adding them and will only result in angering the tracker admins. I recommend using just one or two open trackers, dht and if you want to add any other trackers go register an account and upload the torrent so the tracker will work.

It appears you had several webseeds that weren't working. I'm not sure what was wrong with them but I don't recommend trying to use webseeds until you gain more experience.

There is no benefit to putting the mp3 files into a zip, you'd be better to put them in a folder instead

Otherwise the torrent is working so if no one is downloading it may be just a lack of interest or you may need to upload the torrent to some dump sites and/or torrent trackers so more people know it's available.

Good Luck

Okay, I resubmitted the Torrent with all the songs but not in a Zip format (I just seeded the whole song directory.) but I am rather lost on the tracker idea. To save your time though, I will be more than happy to read an earlier post from a different conversation if you point it out. Once again, thank you. Also, Super Seeding is off on both of the seeds now (One a Zip file and the other completely open.) are not super seeding. It wasn't then, but I still double checked.

The whole tracker idea I am more lost on though, if there is an article to read here, I would be happy to read it. Oh, and not getting it 100% earlier until later was due to my fault honestly. I just had to update one inner file to being 100% like the rest of them. I don't know why this was a problem as I am the original person but all is fine there now too.

Wow, I woke up and even to this simple torrent, I now have it at 0/0[0/72]. Just real quick, how the h*** can I make it more to the left side now. I have changed the trackers, I have made this just a folder instead of a zip file. What else can I do. I figured if it were just 0/2 or even 0/5, I could understand them not moving over but 0/72 now, one should have been downloading by now.

I'm finished, I deleted my home made torrent. After 40+ hours, 5 different tracker edits, and even asking for help, all I got was 1 person (the guy who originally helped me) to download off me and around 257 people trying to but getting them from the 0/0[1/157] to even a 0/1[*/*] became more of a headache than it is worth honestly. And besides, I was opening myself to illegal activity just to hopefully bring mild joy to someone else.

I'm sorry, the "Juice wasn't worth the squeeze" and all. Thanks for the help, but sometimes to just wait for the song to come out and buy it then could be the better option.

There is nothing wrong with your torrent, it's working fine. The only problem I suspect is lack of interest. The numbers you see aren't people trying to download it, they are probably IP address you attempted to contact that were rejected, probably because the torrent had random unregistered trackers in it.

If you want a torrent to be popular you need to use a complete description in the torrent's name, also how many websites did you upload this torrent to? if people cannot find it, they cannot download it. The second was called ""finished pony audio", if I saw a torrent with that name I'd have no idea what it may be and wouldn't download it. If I was authoring the torrent I would probably name it something like "My Little Pony (audio) Songs MP3@xxxkbs" where "xxx" would be the bitrate of the mp3 files. if it's variable bit rate you should have the proper designation like V0, or whatever encoding is used. When you upload it to torrent trackers you need to register at the tracker and upload the torrent along with a description and include that trackers url when making the torrent. When you copy a list of random trackers and add them into a torrent you are creating a mess not only for yourself but for everyone who uses the torrent and the owners of those trackers.

If you don't want to register and upload it to trackers you can make the torrent trackerless by using only open-trackers and dht which bitcomet will add automatically, but you'll still need to advertise it by uploading it to sites like thepiratebay or whereever you get your torrents from.

ps. it seems like besides myself there may have been one other person interested in downloading this torrent. The second torrent worked immediately as soon as I started it and downloaded quickly and I left it seeding overnight to see what would happen and this morning my share ratio is 0.60, so I uploaded 60% of the torrent to someone, you may find your ratio now at about 1.40, so I think the only thing this torrent needs is peers who are interested in downloading it.

I'm going to stop the torrent now since I've confirmed it is working properly.