To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Uploading modified files? (Without hash check. Is it correct?)

Black_Shin

Let's say (just hypothetically ofc. ;-) ) that I downloaded some music album with .mp3 files in it.

Let's say also that Artist and Track name is not completely correct and I am using Last.FM to scrobble what I listen.

Thus, in order to scrobble my music correctly, I modified metadata of .mp3 files with winamp, to change Artist name. But, when I do that and still want to upload the music I downloaded an I am listening, Bit Comet says that files were modified and wants to perform Hash Check.

What will happen if I say no?

I suppose that all will be OK if the file parts I am uploading will happen to be the correct ones. But what if someone wants from me file part that was modified? Will this part will be just rejected and everything else is OK (they will download only not-modified parts from me and don't touch modified), or it can cause some errors to the person which downloads it from me?

In other words, is it "safe" to upload files with modified parts, or these parts can be downloaded and things can get complicated?

(P.S. If modified file parts are rejected, are there some advanced options (for example in BitComet) that allows such manoeuvres? )

If even one single bit is changed the piece will be rejected... this is an extremely important part of bittorrent technology, if it wasn't for this you could get infected data and viruses would spread like wildfire. There is no way around this and you shouldn't attempt it. If you were able to force bitcomet to upload altered pieces they would be rejected and the peer would request the piece again, and again, and usually after several bad pieces you will be identified as a bad peer and blocked.

Solution...

If you have a file called "song1.mp3" that you want to edit, copy the file with another name like song1a.mp3 (if that name isn't already used), then you can edit the copy and enjoy it. You can also copy all the files to a new location where you can edit them anyway you like and the originals are still intact.

Alternate solution...

Well, you've already changed some files and you can't change them back, so what now? You don't have to redownload the entire file again, just copy any changed files like above and let bitcomet do the hashcheck. When complete the affected files will revert to less than 100% complete and you'll have to redownload any of the pieces that you altered. This is usually a very small amount of data and as soon as the download completes all the changes you made will be reverted and your torrent can then seed as usual.