To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet immediately crashes when used with a Pentium III

Why does Bitcomet immediately crash when used with my Pentium III computer. Does it require the SSE2 instruction set or something. I'm fairly certain I meet the minimum performance requirements. I don't have any conflicting software installed and I don't use Windows firewall.

Windows XP sp3

1.5 Ghz Pentium III

1.5Gb RAM

It should run fine as long as your system is otherwise stable, but sometimes p2p software can use a computer in ways that bring unrelated problems to the surface. The first thing to check is reboot the computer and don't load any unnecessary software. You can try eliminating some of your startup processes using the "msconfig" utility from the "run" command. You can also try running the .zip version of bitcomet (link to all versions in my signature), just make sure there are no current bitcomet processes running before you run this portable version. Just unzip and run the .exe file, no installation is required. If it works that would suggest there is something wrong with your installed version or it's configuration files.

The portable version of 1.20 worked. The one intended for windows 98. But I'm getting some extremely slow download speeds. I tested the same torrents on my laptop with the latest version of bitcomet installed and they maxed out my routers bandwidth at 1.5 MB/s but with the older version on my desktop I only get speeds of about 300KB/s on the same torrent. My desktop has a 100mbps network card so I know that isn't the issue. In fact when I download normal HTTP files I get speeds of around a 1MB/s or more. I can't simply transfer the files from my laptop to my desktop after downloading them because my desktop only has USB 1.1 so transfers of files over 4 gigabytes can take more time then it took to download them.

If the computers are networked on the same router you don't need to use usb to transfer the files.

btw, if you have windows XP installed you shouldn't be using the win9x version of bitcomet, but as far as the performance, it could be many reasons. If you had the torrent running on two computers you may have connected to all the good peers on your laptop so there were only slow peers left to connect to on your desktop. You'd also have to confirm your listening port is open and also make sure you have sufficient (free) upload bandwidth so you can respond to peer requests in a timely manner. Performance problems on a computer can also cause excessive lag in response and in many cases the best peers will pass you by if you aren't quick to respond.