To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

bitcomet 1.37 encryption help

tmj444

I just recieved an email from my ISP and Warner Bros. regarding infringement of copyright... Will encrypting bitcomet prevent this from happening again by hiding my ip address?

I was also wondering how to encrypt this version because after clicking on options, the next step is preferences, but I can't see where that is.

Thanks for any help.

These letters are generally sent to your isp by anti p2p groups that represent the copyright holders. Some ISPs ignore them and some pass them on to their customers. The group sending them don't know who you are so don't contact them, but if you're concerned you could get legal advice.

Basicly this is a campaign of harassment used to scare people and it's doubtful they have any evidence of wrong doing, but we can't offer you legal advice and BitComet does not support using their product for illegal use.

Protocol Encryption is used to make it more difficult for ISPs to use traffic shaping techniques to slow p2p traffic, it won't stop a hostile peer from connecting to you. Some people use IP filtering programs along with lists of known hostile IP addresses, however that is far from secure and there is no way to connect to a torrent without providing an IP address. Much like when you order something on the internet, if you don't provide your address they cannot send the products you ordered. You can rent a computer form an off-shore company and run the torrents through that computer this way none of the peers would know your actual IP address. Some methods are by installing a client on a remote server (seedbox), connecting through one using VPN, or BitComet's VIP works in a similar way when Anonymous download is enabled, but it's still in beta testing and we've had mixed reports of it's performance, but if you have over 40,000 CometID points you can get a free trial.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your response. I was told that peerblock would also work to protect me. Is this true?

... Some people use IP filtering programs along with lists of known hostile IP addresses, however that is far from secure

• Like 1

If you are going to use peerblock you will probably have to make an "allow list" so it doesn't block connections with CometID, LTseed and/or VIP servers because many of the lists used with peerblock also prevent software from sending information to the publisher of the software. There is an article on this at wiki.bitcomet.com that lists the IP addresses that need to be allowed.

An "allow list" overrides the "block lists" that you install. Also be careful which lists you install, some will block things like educational institutions so if you install such a list you'll be blocking every college student on the planet.

You can use bitcomet with peer block even if you don't allow these IPs I mentioned but you won't be able to log into cometID and won't advance in rank, nor will you be able to use some of the advanced features like downloading from LTseed peers or search for mirror locations of files. These features that are unique to bitcomet can not only help you download faster but in some cases can help you to download torrents that aren't seeded or are poorly seeded. Without these services bitcomet will behave like any other bittorrent client.

• Like 1