To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet performace very slow

tkkhome

1. I'm so sad, because this app performace was very slowly and I/O handle was very bad, I tested it only can handle total 40GB data, if over this size, my HDD will 100% busy, after 100% working, the download speed will more slowly. It is not meaning when HDD 100% working, I can get the high speed, i tested HDD 100% working, I only can download 3-5MB/s, when their seed enough time... 2. I don't understand why getting seed was very hard, even it showed 10 seed or 20 seed here...the connection was very bad... 3. actually this app only one function I like it, it can detect duplicate torrent you downloaded before.. 4. at last, look like this app was stopped, i'm give up or may be try to use older version.

You've diagnosed your own problem, you're downloading faster than your haddrive can write the data. The solution is to get a faster drive like an SSD, or increase the size of your disc cache in bitcomet. The disc cache was part of bitcomet since it's earliest versions but only in recent years have internet speeds advanced so much that disc overload is a common problem, but since the solution is already there it's only a matter of using it.

You've diagnosed your own problem, you're downloading faster than your haddrive can write the data. The solution is to get a faster drive like an SSD, or increase the size of your disc cache in bitcomet. The disc cache was part of bitcomet since it's earliest versions but only in recent years have internet speeds advanced so much that disc overload is a common problem, but since the solution is already there it's only a matter of using it.

I tried to chnage the setting , 60-500MB cache, but I no any improve, the mean point is this app can not handle over 40GB size torrents, but i changed to xunlei, the problem was resloved, buy a SSD is not a solution, which SSD can handle BT and still can work after 3 yrs? my HDD speed about 120MB/s - 150MB/s, i don't understand why this app can make HDD busy but the trans speed only 5MB/S

harddrive speeds are advertised in bits per second, not Bytes per second so you need to check and convert the stats to make comparisons. You also have to consider that the drive has to read data to upload at the same time it's writing download data and you probably have a large amount of virtual memory that is using your harddrive too.

You are also incorrect in your claims that the app cannot handle this, your problem is with the harddrive, not the software. If you're getting disc overload messages then either you are overworking your drive, or you could have a problem with the harddrive and/or file system. If your harddrive is healthy and not fragmented usually increasing the disc cache will stop the overload. I've had 30mB/s going up and down without overload when using very large disc cache settings. If you're using 64bit bitcomet you can use a very large disc cache, but first I would recommend scanning your disc/s for errors and doing a defrag.

My problem was solved, not my HDD problem, my workstation was installed 7 4TB, the problem is this app manage cache very bad, I extend the cache to 500-3000MB, after that, it can handle most jobs when I multi download and over 5GB size per torrent, I kept monitor the memory usage, it will use 2.5 - 3Gb ram to cache when my torrents are 40GB total size, if more 40GB, then the HDD would little busy again, until the torrent was download completed and remove the completed torrent, then the cache will be change smaller. I counted if you want to download 10GB data at the same time, you need set the cache size to 1GB, then HDD would not busy anymore...

If you're using external harddrives this often causes the problems you're describing because most are usb2 which is much slower than an internal drive using sata2 or 3. BitComet's cache is actually very efficient and unlike most caching software it is inteligent and keeps the data in cache that is likely to be needed again where most will purge the data once downloaded. Bittorrent is unique because the data is needed for both download and upload so it needs to be retained in cache.

Another method you can use to prevent the drive overload is to run your torrent on an internal drive then move it to an external after it completes, or if possible get esata external drives instead of usb.

For disc cache size, sizes above 1gb should only be used on 64bit versions of bitcomet due to restrictions on how windows handles the memory. Even if you have one of the 32bit server versions of windows that support 64gb of ram or more you still have a per-app limit on the ram, so 64bit is the way to go.

actually i tried maney method, even i reinstall OS without Office level...at least the problem is not related OS layer, my 7 HDD are internal...and i found that, if i set 3GB cache, when the torrent was completed and removed, the cache size will smaller, but the new problem was found out, the free cache would let others running torrent filled..even the torrents just 3 or 4 only...