To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Hi all

I'm struggling to open a port for Bitcomet.

I'm using:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Bitcomet 1.37 64 bit

BT Infinity Wireless Broadband (70Mb speed)

BT 500 Hotspot Kit

Avast Internet Security 2015

AVG PC TuneUp

NO Peerblock or Protowall installed

I have followed the two Bitcomet guides, auto and manual, to the letter but to no avail. At the end of the manual install guide it says to add my PC in the device drop down menu. When I select my PC (or any listed for that matter) the 'add' button is not highlighted and it cannot be selected. I assume the BT 500 Hotspot kit will also need adding but it is only an assumption and nothing more. In addition and quite possibly linked, my torrent download links are stopping at 99.8% and no longer completing.

I have used Bitcomet for some years and have put up with the port being blocked. Its only of late, since I have upgraded to BT Infinity with the Hotspot kit, that these problems have arisen.

Any help on this matter is very much appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Kipper

I have just this UPnP software to check my system and these are the results:

TEST 1 - Operating System Support - PASSED

TEST 2 - SSDP Service Running Check - FAILED

TEST 3 - SSDP Service Automatic Check - FAILED

TEST 4 - UPnPHost Service Running Check - FAILED

TEST 5 - UPnPHost Service Automatic Check - FAILED

TEST 6 - UPnP Framework Firewall Exception Check - PASSED

TEST 7 - Adapter #0 - 192.168.1.75 - FAILED

TEST 8 - Get External IP Address - FAILED

It sounds like you have two routers connected as shown in this photo

diagram2.jpg

In this case you would need to manually forward the port through both your first router and your wifi router.

I suggest you read this guide for manual portforwarding.

http://wiki.bitcomet.com/add_port_mapping_in_nat_router#manually_configure_port_mapping_at_router_setup_page

and pay careful attention to the subsection on cascaded routers

http://wiki.bitcomet.com/add_port_mapping_in_nat_router#cascaded_routers

Yes, you will need to portforward your BT500 hotspot, in addition your first router will need to be forwarded not to your PC but rather to your BT500, then it will be forwarded to your PC. Using uPnP rarely works with multiple routers so I'd stick to manual portforwarding.

I looked on portforward.com and it appears they don't have a guide for your BT500 hotspot router and it doesn't appear they have one but guides for other BT routers may be similar or you may have to contact the manufacturer for help. I wasn't able to check on your first router because you didn't list the make and model.

• Like 1

This is not directly related to bitcomet which requires an open connection to the internet. By installing router/s in your system you have installed a private network and you need to be able to route incoming connections to the proper computer for any p2p filesharing to work efficiently. Alternatively you can connect your computer directly to a modem and none of this would be necessary, but if you want to have a home network you'll need to learn how to administrate it or hire someone to do it for you.

I can help direct you in the right direction to find the info you need, but without having access to your equipment I can't set it up for you. Here is a guide for setting up your first router...

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/BTHomeHub/BitComet.htm

Since you have a second router your destination IP address would be that of your BT hotspot, not that of your computer. If you get this part setup it may be possible to have bitcomet open the port on your hotspot router using uPnP, if not you'll have to log into that device and forward the connections on bitcomets port to your computers IP address, this way any incoming connection on your bitcomet port will be directed from your first router to the second router, then to your computer. It's also wise to setup a static IP address on your computer or it could be necessary to repeat these steps when your computer is restarted.

• Like 1

Good morning

I have read all that you advised and have a slight grasp on what needs to be done. Accessing my 2nd router is proving to be a problem for me. I have unchecked UPnP in BitComet and numbered and fixed the port at 16276. I have then accessed my 1st router (BT Hub 5) and added it to the port forward section. That numbered port also needs opening in my 2nd router (Hotspot) but I do not know how to access it. I have some some screen prints of what I have found in my 1st router settings but I cannot upload them. They show the MAC address for the BT Hotspot and state it's IP address is 192.168.1.109.

Apologies for not understanding fully. I feel this is just a little out of my scope.

Much appreciated

Kippper

You can try entering that address into your browser and see if you get a login page similar to your other BT router, but if that doesn't help you'll need to seek help from the manufacturer, I've never used wither of these devices and unless another member here has, this probably isn't the best place to look for help.

Also when portforwarding your first router you want to use the second routers wan address, not your computers address. You can then try enabling uPnP in bitcomet and see if it's able to open the port in your second router.

• Like 1