To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Files hanging at 99%

suh8lim3

I, like many others, had issues around the Chinese New Years, where I would keep getting server error when trying to login to my account on bitcomet. Before then, VIP worked perfectly. I hadn't tried it again until last night when I noticed that now, no matter what file I download, the file starts off speedily and then gets to about 98-99% and just stops. These are all links with 1-2k seeds. I've tried turning off VIP and anonymous and downloading the file, it does it immediately with no issues at all. Tried the same files on another client, worked flawlessly. This leads me to believe it's something with the anonymous downloading or vip in general.

This is my first time posting, so if there's any information you need from me, feel free to ask.

When using anonymous feature bitcomet will often get the files from non torrent sources and sometimes this causes an issue like this if there is an extra small file in the torrent like a text file which cannot be obtained. In order for the larger files to read as complete in the torrent that small file has to be present and complete, however in this case the larger files actually are complete. This is an unavoidable issue that is caused when sourcing files from multiple protocols. BitComet did develop a solution to this by using "padding files", but users of other clients violently objected to them out of ignorance so most torrents don't use them. Without the padding files these small files within the torrent will have an effect of making larger ones appear incomplete.

I suggest you try using the files and see if they are indeed complete. If they have the .bc! extension you may have to manually remove it.

• Like 1

Ok you were right, the files all have the .mp4 extension and I can get them to run by forcing them to play through vlc. However, is there a way to change the extension or appearance so that it no longer has the bitcomet icon for the file? Also, while I can force it to play on my computer through vlc, it's not recognized as an mp4 when used on my ps3 or xbox. Is there any way to make that possible? Thanks for your help.

Well it seems like it only worked with one file. I tried about 20 others, but they wouldn't play even when forced through vlc on my computer. Was there a change of any sort since before the Chinese New Years, because everything was working fine before then. Some connections took a couple minutes longer, but I never had a file not complete to 100% before then.

• 9 months later...

Unlike the situation that 'suh8lim3' found themselves in, I only sometimes have some of downloaded files as 'Unfinished' even though the download page shows 100% complete on that file. Usually, I delete a file from BitComet downloads, go back to the page where I downloaded that torrent from & start downloading again. It is a bit a long way around but it works...

Cheers

Unlike the situation that 'suh8lim3' found themselves in, I only sometimes have some of downloaded files as 'Unfinished' even though the download page shows 100% complete on that file. Usually, I delete a file from BitComet downloads, go back to the page where I downloaded that torrent from & start downloading again. It is a bit a long way around but it works...

Cheers

You could accomplish the same results by stopping the task, "right click" and select manual hash check. When the check is done it should either fix the problem, or revert to less than 100% in which can you can continue the download until it's complete.

If this problem repeats it may be caused by one of the files being deleted or changed by anti virus software. This happens often when downloading apps that include hack tools which the antivirus assume were downloaded without your consent, but in some rare cases there could really be a threat present.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 1/24/2016 at 4:46 PM, The UnUsual Suspect said:

You could accomplish the same results by stopping the task, "right click" and select manual hash check. When the check is done it should either fix the problem, or revert to less than 100% in which can you can continue the download until it's complete.

If this problem repeats it may be caused by one of the files being deleted or changed by anti virus software. This happens often when downloading apps that include hack tools which the antivirus assume were downloaded without your consent, but in some rare cases there could really be a threat present.

I did all the above and still it stuck at 99.9%. So I rename the file and it work. For my case I downloaded a mp3 file and it stuck at 99.9% for ages did what was said above but to no avail. So, I rename the file from xxxx.mp3.bc! to xxxx.mp3 and it work. I don't know why BitComet just refused to 'complete' the downloading.