To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Stuck

reli4ble

when i add torrent full of bunch of music about 5-15GB maybe more than 500 file bitcomet get stuck for like 10-25 sec same to torrent with images or torrents with small files like applications or something like that please fix this in the next release i have seen this issue since the first time i used bitcomet

Edited by reli4ble (see edit history)

This can be caused by disc overload or a system that is low on resources. All those files have to be created on your disc, normally it should take only about a second, but if you're not using a local disc it will take longer, or if there are other issue like the disc is busy or fragmented it could take longer.

i have seen this issue since the first time i used bitcomet

Besides what TUUS replied...

- when, exactly, was the first time that you used BitComet (which version were you using before, and which one are you using now)?

- when you say "disk", are you referring to the computer's internal disk, or an external disk?

- is your disk fragmented?

Besides what TUUS replied...

- when, exactly, was the first time that you used BitComet (which version were you using before, and which one are you using now)?

- when you say "disk", are you referring to the computer's internal disk, or an external disk?

- is your disk fragmented?

i don't remember maybe version 1.01 or less

i use allocate disk space no fragmentation

There was an old issue with the gui freezing, I suggest you update versions and see if the problem still exists.

You didn't answer our questions about what type of disc you're using, it could be normal time required to access the disc or it could be that your system is low on resources. Sometimes adjusting your disc cache settings can help this.

There was an old issue with the gui freezing, I suggest you update versions and see if the problem still exists.

You didn't answer our questions about what type of disc you're using, it could be normal time required to access the disc or it could be that your system is low on resources. Sometimes adjusting your disc cache settings can help this.

i always update to the latest version

HDD internel

resource quite low

Sounds like it's low resources that is making the app unresponsive. Most common issue is ram memory which is pretty cheap these days, if you have an older computer you might want to consider adding some ram. The combination of low ram and large torrents can result in forcing the app to run in virtual memory where it uses the harddrive to simulate ram and since it's a HDD intensive task the load on the drive is compounded by the need to use it for memory too. I'd also recommend defragmenting the drive even if it's not indicated as necessary, this will help assure that all your virtual memory is located in the same area on the disc which could improve performance. I'd also change my virtual memory settings by making a permanent swap file instead of a temp one that is always changing size. If you have more than one internal drives you can move your virtual memory to a different drive from the one used for your downloads, this will divide the load and after you install more ram you can increase the size of your disc cache so the data is written to cache very quickly allowing the GUI to not have to wait for the disc writes to complete.

Also some users of older computers that don't require all the newer advanced features like to use bitcomet version 0.70, it's very simple and basic, but is very good at running torrents. You can download all versions from the link in my signature and if you want to try older versions without uninstalling your current version you can get the .zip files that don't need to be installed. They are completely portable, just extract the .zip and run the .exe file and set your preferences. I strongly recommend you avoid versions 0.71 up until about 0.85 as they were less than stable for many users and won't give you the advantage of low resource use.

Try defragmenting your harddrive, even if it's not recommended, then change your virtual memory settings for system managed to user specified and make a permanent virtual memory of at least twice the size of your ram memory, use larger if you have enough free disc space.

This will assure that your virtual memory is all located on the same area of the drive and not scattered all over the drive.

• 1 month later...