To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Dead torrent or messed up BitComet settings?

TheRealBeren

Hi. So here's the thing. I found this 2-year old torrent file that shows 0 peers/seeders/leechers that, when accessed through BitComet, lists the VIP option; the thing is that I can't seem to sign in, although I am able to do that on the CometID website. Furthermore, there's that little yellow thingie that tells me my listening port is blocked. I need to mention that my firewall settings enable all BitComet associated connections. Any advice? Thank you

P.S.: I could privately/publicly send someone the torrent link and maybe solve this easier.

If there are no seeds the torrent won't download, but if you want to post the magnet link I'll take a look and see if it works for me although I don't currently have access to vip.

As for comet ID, I just tried and had no problem signing in with bitcomet. There have been times when the servers are down or busy and you can't sign in, but they seem to be working fine now. Check that the names on the account used in bitcomet and used on the website are identical, it's very possible if you reinstalled you could have used the wrong settings and created yourself a new account. Alot of people also get confused and log in with social media accounts on the website instead of their cometID account, this generates a second account. the same way installing the software with the option to automatically create an account selected.

As for your listening port, there is a reason we have prepared the "READ THIS before posting" topic, without more info we have no idea what kind of connection or hardware you are using. BitComet requires an open bi-directional connection to the internet to work efficiently and if you're computer is hiding on a LAN behind a router controlled by you, your landlord, university or isp, then you'll need a dedicated listening port and a static local IP address to assure incoming connections reach your computer.

Thank you for the quick reply. Regarding signing in, I can log in on the website, but not in BitComet. As for the torrent itself, here's the magnet link magnet:?xt=urn:btih:d309b6b13cead795085c055fc426a49017d63d19&dn=bookx or the web link bitsnoop.com/bookx-q48547051.html .It's a massive ebook torrent, but I only need 1-2 files; you could try with any files and see if it works. I'll read the info on the listening ports. Thanks a lot.

Edited by TheRealBeren (see edit history)

I had no problem connecting to the tracker and there were no seeds. There is also no LTseed support since this torrent wasn't made with bitcomet and no bitcomet peer has downloaded it with LTseed enabled so the files cannot be completed from other sources. I also tried searching for emule links for at least one of the files and none were found. Unfortunately it looks like your only option is to look for another torrent that's not dead.

This is a problem with many big torrents like this, many people only want a couple of the files so they never become seeders and the original uploader eventually get's tired of no one willing ot seed and abandons the torrent. If you can find where it was originally uploaded you could try requesting a reseed, but if you do, they'll expect you to download all of it and seed it. It's also likely an old torrent so the uploader may have deleted it long ago, so that is unlikely to work.