To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Upload is limited

gasman

Win 7 latest service pack.

Bitcomet beta 20150629

Cable

This is a recent problem, I am a seasoned bitcomet user and have my upload/ download limits set to optimum. I have all the green lights, However (see the attached) I recently noticed that my downloads are suddenly limited almost as if I was throttling my upload speeds and bitcomet "sees" me as a bad partner. I have my download set to unlimited and upload to 200kB/s yet am only achieving 5-6 k upload. connection is 120 Mb/s down and 12Mb/s up consistent . The results shown are with only a single torrent running after completion and no other demands on the connection. I suspect Mcafee but would welcome ideas

post-41489-0-34787800-1444869976.jpg

post-41489-0-62651700-1444870062.jpg

Edited by gasman (see edit history)

It sounds to me like either something is causing you to be slow to respond to peers, or there just isn't a lot of demand for upload on this torrent. If you respond to peer requests quickly and have an open port you will usually upload a lot but if another peer fulfills a users requests faster it can be difficult to upload no matter how much you try. Often if you're quick to join new torrent releases you can upload a lot, but by the time the numbers of seeders grow it get's more difficult to upload.

Also if you're using any traffic shaping software or firmware options it can cause this. I once tried enabling QOS in my router. It claimed it was able to prioritize certain types of data so I wanted my VoIP telephone calls to have priority because I was having problems with calls, but even when I wasn't using the telephone it still slowed down my torrents dramatically because of the time it took to evaluate the traffic, Also if your computer is low on resources it can become slow to respond and have the same outcome.

ps. you probably are not using a beta version, we had a problem with one of the recent versions that was identifying as a beta although there was no public beta released, it was just a minor oversight but the latest version today is 1.40 which correctly identifies so you might want to try it.

• Like 1

Hi TUUS sorry for the belated reply but have been up to my neck. Good info re the Beta version, that did confuse me since I rarely run beta except for a quick evaluation. It seems I had an infection of some kind, I noticed the occasional dos pop up that appeared for a millisecond and not giving me time to read. I set up my video cam to watch the screen high res and it caught "taskeng.exe". Mcafee missed it but Malwarebytes seems to have eradicated it, time will tell. It wasn't just the one torrent that was doing this, but every torrent, The one shown was just an example. I still have to evaluate further as time permits but your input is always valuable and welcome. I will post more info as I get it. and update to 1.40

Hurray, everything seems to be fixed since getting rid of taskeng.exe. Even tried going back to the problem torrent in my previous post and it behaved perfectly giving a download graph almost perfectly linear from start at 0 to finish at 14Mb/s. Think it would have gone on even higher had the file been bigger. Its my guess that taskeng was either blocking or using my upload slots. Have since downloaded BC 1.40 as you suggested but it wasn't easy. BC kept insisting I had the latest version already and would not install. I had to uninstall first and then install 1.40. Many thanks for your help TUUS, i hope the info re taskeng.exe was useful. I intend to dig deeper and bring it up with Mcafee

Gasman - thanks for this thread. I had the same problem like you. Now i fixed it.

Best Regards.

You are most welcome. Interestingly googling taskeng.exe will give you a 50/50 response. some saying that it is a genuine windows process (which it is) and others noting that they have two or more instances of it not always in the correct directory.

I conclude therefore that it could be dangerous to merely delete or shred it since the genuine article is a system file. better to use a malware utility (malwarebytes worked for me) and be safe

it's common for malware to use the names of genuine windows files so they don't cause alarm when noticed running. You can run a search if the file exists in more than one location. Knowledge of navigation using a command prompt either from safe-mode or a boot disc is helpful.

• Like 1

it's common for malware to use the names of genuine windows files so they don't cause alarm when noticed running. You can run a search if the file exists in more than one location. Knowledge of navigation using a command prompt either from safe-mode or a boot disc is helpful.

I agree, and did do some tentative investigations re taskeng.exe in safe mode but (in my case at least) only found one instance of it. It appears that the culprit was hiding. Yes I could have delved deeper but the "easy" way was to try malwarebytes which worked, job done. I worked for years programming in pure machine code for the likes of vending machines and hotel safes (chances are that if you holiday in Spain or Greece and use the safe in your room you will find a rip off of my software) which I did not protect because of the risk of false accusation. The vending machines however I can always prove to be mine by entering a secret code that displays my name and gives a free vend. The reason for pure machine code? Money! at the time this all had to be done with a max of 16KB of memory (eprom) so it was not possible to use a higher level language such as c or c+ or even assembly. It had to be down to basics to run the functions, display, sound and all The good thing was that non of my software was online so I didn't have to worry about infections