To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Why BitCommet can't search for files?

remy33

I'm wonder, before years we had the slowest turtle called 'emule', it was pretty crappy though, But it has a greate feature, it has file search via the Kademlia.

If I understood currectly, torrent replacement for Kademlia is DHT.

So why we can't we share a directory and search in it like oldschool Emule did?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by remy33 (see edit history)

Bitcomet operates within bittorrent protocol and cannot access users harddrives to search for things, it's not possible and would be a very bad idea if it was. BitComet does have an emule plugin which is designed to merge the two protocols and it can search emule sources to find some or all the content of a torrent on the ed2k or kad networks. You might find the plugin useful

Bitcomet operates within bittorrent protocol and cannot access users harddrives to search for things, it's not possible and would be a very bad idea if it was. BitComet does have an emule plugin which is designed to merge the two protocols and it can search emule sources to find some or all the content of a torrent on the ed2k or kad networks. You might find the plugin useful

Thank you for the answer,

I learning in the past days about the bittorent protocol, and im stuck with thes questions,

I not understand how it possible because emule use md4 for hashing while torrent use md5.

Anyway, I have another question, I'm not understand what DHT does in case of Hash collision,

I mean it's probably uncommon (2^64) but still, its happens, then what?

Thanks for your time, I am really appreciate it!

In order to use cross protocol downloading bitcomet had to make it's own hashes for each file which are hosted on the cometID servers along with locations. This can enable you to download the files you need from any bitcomet peer even if they aren't running the same task, or any emule, http or ftp task.

DHT has nothing to do with hash checks