Hi,

Following is the information essential as per required:

Version of BT: 1.40

Internet connection: Optical fiber

Modem: Sagemcom, Model: Fast 5250, no router, no VoIP or tel. device connceted

Version of Windows: Win 8.1, Firewal/Antivirus: AVG, 64 bit

No IP filtering

Issue reported:

All of my BT files completely disappeared the next day on my opening Bitcomet. The night before there was no power shut-down or any other incident. I closed Bitcomet and tried to close my PC, only to find that the mouse was "deadlocked"! After that there appeared on the screen -- " your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart ...". Result: all of BT files were found vanished the next morning!

Looks like a remote-controlled hacking attack, and there was no blocking action from AVG installed.

I wonder whether there is a configuration on Bitcomet which could block such a potential hacking, pls.?

Thanks in advance.

It looks like your system became unstable and crashed before bitcomet was able to save your downloads.xml file, but there should be upto 10 backups of this file from the ten previous times you shut down and you can restore it by shutting down bitcomet, then renaming the new "downloads.xml" to any other name, then try the most recent backup of the file and rename it to "downloads.xml" and start bitcomet.

The location of these files is determined by windows, not bitcomet, but most likely you can find them by copying or typing...

%appdata%

Into the address bar on any folder and hit "enter", then go to the bitcomet folder within the appdata folder.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny? Not at all! You cannot imagine the situation I'm in right now. The "kat.cr" web site, from which I downloaded the films, was hard to get access to some time ago. I contacted the tech. support, whose reply was: "Yes, you are right, we have been targeted by DDoS attacks lately, but we are taking all the necessary measures for protecting site."

This site was obliged to change its home page design due to the hackers' attack.

So I don't think that the sudden disappeance of my downloaded files was just an accident. 2 or 3 days ago, I found that there appeared a red "X" ahead of the downloaded files (Progress: 100%, Size: 0B, see attachment), which means that I cannot upload them to other BT clients. But the films downloaded are still intact on my hard disk. I checked the possible reasons that may have caused the red "X" -- http://wiki.bitcomet...sible_solutions, and it seems that none of them comply to my case. So I'd like, once again, turn to the administrator for help, pls..

Thanks.

post-177657-0-92146100-1456856767.jpg

Funny? Not at all!

Depends how we see "Funny". If we would refer to the fact that you think the files have been deleted by a hacker, yes, that is funny because it didn't happen, and statistically, it is impossible.

The "kat.cr" web site, from which I downloaded the films, was hard to get access to some time ago. I contacted the tech. support, whose reply was: "Yes, you are right, we have been targeted by DDoS attacks lately, but we are taking all the necessary measures for protecting site."

What does KickassTorrents has anything to do with the fact that BitComet shows red "X", "100% completed" and "0B" at every completed task you have?

This site was obliged to change its home page design due to the hackers' attack.

Irrelevant and with high nonsense. A simple design has nothing to do with a massive DDoS attack against a server.

So I don't think that the sudden disappeance of my downloaded files was just an accident. 2 or 3 days ago, I found that there appeared a red "X" ahead of the downloaded files (Progress: 100%, Size: 0B, see attachment), which means that I cannot upload them to other BT clients. But the films downloaded are still intact on my hard disk. I checked the possible reasons that may have caused the red "X" -- http://wiki.bitcomet...sible_solutions, and it seems that none of them comply to my case. So I'd like, once again, turn to the administrator for help, pls..

I am not an expert at this part; Probably still an error with "downloads.xml"?

a DDOS attack is when a hacker sends thousands (or more) malicious connections towards a server in order to disrupt it from functioning, but it has nothing to do with the reason why your tasks vanished, that was caused by an improper shutdown of bitcomet where it didn't have time to save the updated file list. Also creating a Ghost image of bitcomet installation won't help because your task list isn't saved in the app, it's saved in windows and it's updated everytime you shutdown bitcomet and if an improper shutdown happens, you can revert to the last time you shutdown. Fixing this problem is just a matter of renaming the files.

Regarding the red "X", if you hover your mouse over the X, a context message will popup explaining the error.

Irrelevant and with high nonsense. A simple design has nothing to do with a massive DDoS attack against a server.

Because of the inaccessibility of Kat.cr, I sent a former home page screenshot, which was entirely beyond recognition because of the DDoS attack (with the calligraphy all in blue -- I don't know what we call this kind of web page) to its tech. support. Shortly afterwards the home page was changed to the present one. Of course, I'm not sure that the home page change was exactly due to this screenshot of mine, it's just a supposition.

I'll show you this screenshot should I still keep it on my PC.

a DDOS attack is when a hacker sends thousands (or more) malicious connections towards a server in order to disrupt it from functioning, but it has nothing to do with the reason why your tasks vanished, that was caused by an improper shutdown of bitcomet where it didn't have time to save the updated file list. Also creating a Ghost image of bitcomet installation won't help because your task list isn't saved in the app, it's saved in windows and it's updated everytime you shutdown bitcomet and if an improper shutdown happens, you can revert to the last time you shutdown. Fixing this problem is just a matter of renaming the files.

Regarding the red "X", if you hover your mouse over the X, a context message will popup explaining the error.

Thanks for your guide, boss. The red "X": stopped (Error: opening torrent failed) -- is there any solution, pls.?

Because of the inaccessibility of Kat.cr, I sent a former home page screenshot, which was entirely beyond recognition because of the DDoS attack (with the calligraphy all in blue -- I don't know what we call this kind of web page) to its tech. support. Shortly afterwards the home page was changed to the present one. Of course, I'm not sure that the home page change was exactly due to this screenshot of mine, it's just a supposition.

I'll show you this screenshot should I still keep it on my PC.

Don't worry. No need for a screenshot. We are all aware of what DDoS attack KaT encountered; it was not a nice situation.

The old home page is still up so I guess they changed it only to prevent interstitial adds (most of them are erotic ones) from showing up from the first time you access the website: https://kat.cr/full/

The error you encountered indicates either the torrent file is corrupt (didn't fully download), or was deleted or moved. Try removing one of the affected torrents (remove torrent, history, but NOT data, then redownload the torrent and open it in bitcomet but don't start the task downloading, instead "right click" on the task and select "manual hash check". This will rehash the existing data and to your previous level of completion so you can continue the download without starting over.

Also to state the obvious you should do this test on a torrent that already has significant progress, if the torrent has little or no progress you might just want to fully delete it and start over completely.

If this test is successful just repeat with all affected torrents.

As a person who downloads 20 GB a day, I feel a little advice on computer safety is needed. I never expect a failure of my Torrent Client to be anything more than user error. I rotate my BitComet Client onto a different computer every year. Redundancy and training are your security. Grab an unloved and lonely notebook, install BitComent and quickly return to File Sharing. Solving hacking problems is easy compared to not being a idiot. BitComet is does not hate you, nor do hackers want to stop you watching movies. Personal Computer safety is not difficult when you do the work. Keep redundant notebooks handy and maintained. Follow mainstream advice from Microsoft about security. Make backups on spare drives. Grow and learn network skills and think about buying a NAS. It is very hard to fix a Torrent Client when you do not have another in good working order to compare. The settings and long chain of process leaves many gaps in even an expert's experience.

Edited by mickdown (see edit history)

Don't worry. No need for a screenshot. We are all aware of what DDoS attack KaT encountered; it was not a nice situation.

The old home page is still up so I guess they changed it only to prevent interstitial adds (most of them are erotic ones) from showing up from the first time you access the website: https://kat.cr/full/

Thank you for your full versionof Kat.cr!

• Like 1

The error you encountered indicates either the torrent file is corrupt (didn't fully download), or was deleted or moved. Try removing one of the affected torrents (remove torrent, history, but NOT data, then redownload the torrent and open it in bitcomet but don't start the task downloading, instead "right click" on the task and select "manual hash check". This will rehash the existing data and to your previous level of completion so you can continue the download without starting over.

Also to state the obvious you should do this test on a torrent that already has significant progress, if the torrent has little or no progress you might just want to fully delete it and start over completely.

If this test is successful just repeat with all affected torrents.

Thanks a lot for your tutoring, boss. I'll try to fix the red "X" problem as per your guidance to see whether it works or not. Seems to me that the red "X" appeared immediately after my finishing the downloading -- a phenomenon that never appeared before. I'll try to confirm it next time -- exactly while the progress approaches 100%. Should there appear new questions, I'll come back to you.

I've had the red X on a couple of occasions but it has been down to running low on disk space. In actual fact there was enough space but there were also a lot of 'lost clusters' and a quick scan with a repair utility cured it, then a restart of the 'offenders' had everything back as it should be

I've had the red X on a couple of occasions but it has been down to running low on disk space. In actual fact there was enough space but there were also a lot of 'lost clusters' and a quick scan with a repair utility cured it, then a restart of the 'offenders' had everything back as it should be

When you encounter such a problem it's usually wise to stop and rehash the torrents to assure all the pieces are still complete. Your disc scan could have disabled failed or failing sectors that contained data and even previously completed torrents may revert to "less than complete" state. For most videos they will still play without any noticeable issues, but it's really easy to fix with a manual hash check and if not complete just start the torrent up again until it is.

Also, when a harddrive begins dropping sectors it could be a sign it's about to fail so move anything valuable onto another media while you still can.

Actually lost clusters aren't the same as damaged sectors - they're simply clusters with fragmented data and just take up disk space. The actual disk itself is fine and they can be deleted with a scan using the correct tools. I agree with the rehash though (i do that automatically anyway and just overlooked mentioning it

The point I was making is be it a cluster, sector, cyl or platter, if you get multiple errors it's sometimes a sign that your disc is starting to fail, be it a worn out head, scored disc surface or whatever, it's wise to keep an eye on the disc and backup sensitive data. Mechanical discs have their advantages in that they "can" give you years or even decades of service and many errors can be fixed with simply a scan and when they begin to fail you using get time to salvage their data. SSDs on the other hand are much faster and out perform them in every way, but are more like a lightbulb, they work great until they don't... then all your data is gone, and with an SSD the question isn't "if" it will fail, it's when as they have a limited service life. In my opinion the best option is to have both, a small SSD and a large HDD so you can get the performance from the SSD to run your computer, and the efficiency of the HDD to store your data and media and to keep regular images of the SSD so when it fails you can clone a replacement SSD and be back up and running in minutes, and for the highly sensitive data you can store on both because any drive can fail.

We've gone a bit off topic here but still related with the idea of being prepared for data loss which is why I made the suggestion you scan the drive regularly when you find multiple errors like this and backup any data you can't easily replace.

I've also written this for the benefit of our members world wide as well as our visitors.