To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet 1.42 auto enable to download ALL FILE after program restart

jaycelou1

How are you shutting down BitComet?

Also, it's not a good idea to disable small files in torrents, doing so means you may never be able to properly seed the torrent and can leave others stuck at less than 100%

I quite with "Exit" button as I always do for the past 9 years.

So you already know the bug exist? Otherwise how do you know its enabled small files?

I have limited bandwidth, so I have to be very careful with what I want and logically the software should not be the one to decide what to download. Right?

Furthermore, BitComet auto enable files and set "High" priority itself, totally mess up my download prioritize intention! Wasting time and bandwidth.

• Like 1

Anyway, I'm just letting your know there is such a error. Completely up to your guy when to rectify it. However, I'm appreciate what your have done. BitComet is a great torrent client and lot of other people will continue to support your great work.

• 2 weeks later...

i've tried bitcomet 1.42 on windows 10 (64 bit), had the same issue.

steps to replicate it, hope this helps to pin down the bug:

1. uncheck a few files in a torrent.

2. start the download

3. exit bitcomet via the "exit" icon. (stopping the task or not before exiting doesn't make a difference)

4. start up bitcomet

5. as soon as you click on the torrent at step one, the unchecked files will be selected again.

it seems like bitcomet has "forgotten" the checked/unchecked files after a restart.

i've downgraded back to version 1.40 for the time being, and it doesn't show the same behaviour. i haven't tried version 1.41

+1 Same Here. And it is too much annoying.

As suppose if you have a torrent with two types of files as follows:

vis2016.07.29_x64.iso - 7GB

vis2016.07.29_x86.iso - 8GB

Now defiantly downloader will download only one. So it's totally against the downloading rules to force download all files in torrent.

It's not right. Definitely it's a bug or from above conversation looks like a deliberated one.

Kindly fix it asap.

Regards

7 Years User

I don't have windows 10 installed to test it, but if above reports are correct this only occurs in1.42, so I'd revert back to 1.41. I believe the only intended difference was to add support for high dpi monitors.

Regarding disabling files, this isn't part of bittorrent protocol and small files should never be disabled, if you do so at best you will still download them anyway because they are included in the bittorrent pieces you need, and at worse case you may only be able to seed 99% of a torrent and if enough people do this it will result on others unable to complete the download.

However if it is a torrent with two large files and you only want one, that is exactly why this technology was added to bitcomet.

1.41 showing the same behaviour. Have to revert back on 1.40 which is working fine.

'The UnUsual Suspect', you were right:

I believe the only intended difference was to add support for high dpi monitors.

It's from the 1.41 and I understand why people not reporting it, as many of them not facing the particular case and the ones facing are like me as I was in the start thinking: someone should have already done it, but as time passed it become annoying to me so I came here.

Kindly look into the matter.

PS: Now using BitComect 1.40 and working perfect in regard to this bug.

Edited by getlucky1989khan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This is why it's important to provide accurate info so the developers can know which changes to look at. No one reported this during the 1.41 release, and now we have one member saying the bug is present in 1.41 and another that says it's not.

My duties are limited to running this forum, but hopefully development will issue a fix for this soon, keep at eye out at bitcomet.com for a new stable or beta release and let us know if it works for you.

• Like 1

'jtk3241' will you please look into it again and confirm it? Bug must be there in 1.41 too.

i've been using 1.41 since 2 days ago. i've added new torrents and tested it according to the steps i've posted above. i haven't gotten the same problem since.

versions i've used: 1.40 --> 1.42 --> 1.41 (sticking with this for now)

directory:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\BitComet\torrents

i guess this is where file selections within torrents are stored. each torrent will have its own XML file.

maybe the version with problem isn't saving the file selections at all. once bitcomet gets restarted, the torrent reverts back to default selection which is to select all files.

here's another clue:

go to this directory

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\BitComet\torrents

pick a torrent for testing. open the XML file that has the same name as the torrent.

in version 1.41, when i unselect a file, the xml element "\\Bitcomet\FileList\FileEntry" will have an attribute priority="-1"

in version 1.42, when i unselect a file, the xml element "\\Bitcomet\FileList\FileEntry" will have an attribute priority="-4294967295"

in version 1.42, as long as bitcomet doesn't get restarted, it will still remember the file selections.

i'm guessing when it restarts, somewhere in the program is reading the xml file and looking for possible values of "-1" or "1" or "2" etc, but actual value is something else, so it just took the default which is to select the file.

• Like 2

The location of the xml files has been an issue since windows Vista was introduced about 10 years ago. Prior to that they were stored in your program files folder, but newer windows versions restricts that folder by default so only the user named "trusted installer" could make changes and windows automatically moved the xml files to a new location that was buried deep in the directory levels where they were difficult to find. To address this the option "system use appdata" (default=yes) was added. Now if you have a new fresh install within the last 10 years or so your files are within the %appdata% folder, but if you've been installing over older versions, or in some cases have upgraded your windows from XP to a newer version without wiping the drive first, then you may have this option disabled, but for most users you can just type or paste "%appdata%" (without quotes) into your folder address bar and it will take you there, then you can find the bitcomet folder and hopefully your .xml files will be there.

Also in some cases if windows forces bitcomet to shut down the state of tasks cannot be saved. This has been common when people use the "X" in the corner thinking it closes the program when all it does is close the window. You can change how it works in advanced settings, but by default it simply closes the window and leaves bitcomet running.

Here it is looks like 'jtk3241' is completely right:

in version 1.41, when i unselect a file, the xml element "\\Bitcomet\FileList\FileEntry" will have an attribute priority="-1" in version 1.42, when i unselect a file, the xml element "\\Bitcomet\FileList\FileEntry" will have an attribute priority="-4294967295"

Me got same bug in 1.41 because files where already corrupted by 1.42 and when I revert back to 1.41 it tried to read that priority and reset it it to all file selected. Same thing happened on 1.40 too. So tried all 3 version as fresh copy now.

So final conclusion it's a bug of priority thing only in 1.42 and replacing the files made all this confusion.

Thanks for your attention 'jtk3241' and 'The UnUsual Suspect' now you can proceed with this statement that we all 3 reporting same bug in 1.42 only.

Regards

Ok, I wasn't going to accept the free "upgrade" to windows 10. but changed my mind just minutes before the offer expired so I could test this and not only did it enable deselected files, but also changed the priority to "high" on the deselected files.

• Like 1

I've attempted to contact the development team leader and also made a post in the Chinese forum, so hopefully they get the message, but keep in mind these guys all have their "day jobs" too, and freeware development must be done when time allows, so please be patient.

• Like 2