To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

On Custom Priority - Menu TAB/s Sort is a fail

gcwestdev

To replicate, simply goto any torrent that has lots of multiple files, Right Click, > Priority > Custom

Click the box to enable, now, clicking any of the tabs such as size or priority, well is just for show and definitely a waste of time as they do nothing. Broke, and can not understand how this was over looked??? Be nice to quickly sort and put a download order based on size, alphabetical or numerical order... Fixing this will probably do this, as well as give those clickety tabs a purpose for living... ;) Cheers, and hope this post help towards the next best or the best client out there...

When you select a customized display order, it displays as you selected and cannot be changed using the sorting options. If you turn off the customize order, then it will display any way you like... assuming I understand your post correctly.

Sorry for the double post, but, this is for CUSTOMIZED PRIORITY, not for just the display order..

Again, select any task, right click- hover Priority- and select customize. Now in this menu, the sorting tabs are clickable, but have no function.

That is how it's designed, when you enter this mode you make a custom download order. It is not advisable to use this option because bittorrent protocol is designed to download whatever pieces are available at the time rather than completing a single file before proceeding to the next.

A good analogy would be shopping for groceries for ten people with ten separate lists, would you fill the lists one at a time, there for visiting each section of the store ten times... or fill all ten at ones in a fraction of the time. Some people like this so their episodes can complete in order, but it would be more efficient to download them all at once, or to set the first couple episodes at higher priority so they will finish first and you can start watching while the rest finish.

I hope this makes sense to you.

I don't think you understand. Regardless if advised or not, the clickable tabs have no function while in this menu. I understand completely and the reason I know this is bugged is because I myself was trying to watch a tv series as it came in and want this function, but to sort i had to like a word search find the order myself and move up and down, instead I SHOULD have been able to simply hit the TAB that said name and it sort them by file name ascending/descending .... If they were not meant to be clicked, its still a bugged as it should have had labels in the UI instead of buttons. Perhaps you should try and see for yourself ????

Was thinking about an analogy as well.. 10 people were in the grocery line and wanted to know the name, how much it weighed, and the % of whatever... Each of these had a button to click with exactly they wanted... Well upon pushing these buttons, it did absolutely nothing... Wouldnt it be easier, even if it was just one person to click the button and it have a function? The button works like intended on the main aisle, but for some reason in this custom order aisle the buttons don't seem to work...

Maybe I don't understand what you are asking, I did find your initial post confusing, but when I tried to follow your instructions it seemed to operate in a way consistent with the rest of the bitcomet GUI. For example, we have "up" and "down" buttons to sort the tasks in the mail window, but if you click on any column for a custom sort order it disables these buttons because if you select to sort them by date, or by number of seeds, then you can't change the order or it no longer will be sorted as you requested, and with the customize download order option, once you enable this function it won't let any buttons change the order, if it did, all your work arranging the tasks would be erased and you'd have to start over.

This is how it appeared to me, but if you think I don't understand what your issue is, you can try explaining it again, or if you prefer I'd be glad to let someone else try to help you with this.

ps. There are some things about the GUI that can be confusing, like the UP/DOWN arrows, but once you understand how they designed it to work it makes sense. The task of incorporating instructions into the GUI itself is nearly impossible, but our forum staff has done a great job of documenting at least 90% of Bitcomet's functions into English, and if you want to speak to the developers directly you can post in their Chinese forum, however it looks to me like they cut back on staff, probably due to funding issues so not sure if you'll get a reply. You'd also need to be fluent in Mandarin.

I think the most likely explanation is they copied code used elsewhere to make this popup (common technique used by programmers), but opted not to add any function to the header of each column. They probably should have disabled the header so it doesn't react to a mouse at all, but keep in mind this is freeware developed by volunteers, so it's customary to not be as concerned over cosmetic issues vs real bugs that cause the app to crash or otherwise malfunction.

ps. Thanks for the screenshot

Whew. glad I was finally able to make it understandable.. Sorry for the other acct post, but forgot i logged in via google this acct and not fb, regardless... Im not so sure it was really a cosmetic issue and hence why I posted in the first place. I myself have been a hobby programmer(VB and php) and from personal experience, one knows when putting button.. hence in VB for example a button place would auto put in code button1.click for a function or code.. Of course you could have labels with that but most programmers knows that a button is there for a click purpose...or a 2 labels with the button click up down if wanted a more cosmetic approach...)although you can do that nowadays with buttons,couldnt in the day)

Im pretty sure the same code was intended from the main view and was meant to be copied but never did is my guess, im sure this is a simple overlook and would indeed be considered a bug... i mean it is a download order so it makes sense if you wanted an order based on size a simple click could sort them and BAM, there you go...

Anyways, thx for the response and I hope I helped where I could on making this maybe even a smudge better...

BitComet is written in C++, not VB, so I'm not sure if that changes how it's done, but I agree it was probably an oversight. I'd also say if they intended the columns to sort, then it's a bug, but if they just overlooked it then it's just a cosmetic bug, but hopefully it will eventually get addressed when the development team has time. Currently there is a more pressing issue with 1.42 that I've been trying to reach the team on and when I hear back from them I'll try to get some clarification and see if they are willing to work on this.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain it.