How do you open your completed torrent downloads?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Soraiya

Power User

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:06 AM

How to open completed Torrent downloads

Before reading this guide, you'd better have a look at " Not sure what kind of file(s) you have received? " (Edit: Link no longer valid.)

In summary, this guide assists you with the following file types: .rar .par .par2 .cdi .b5i .iso .bin & .cue .dat .mdf & .mds .vob (& .BUP .IFO), .daa

Hello Everyone,

Lol, ok ;) I know that you're all very eager to learn about the bittorrent network, or to solve some issue after you have downloaded some 2 gigabytes or more of files.

So, before you create a topic seeking help, please have a look at this short guide, it should be able to help you out ^_^

Ok, let's get started.

There are usually 3 steps to obtaining the actual file that you want after you've painstakingly waited for bittorrent to complete the download.

Check each step, and see which one applies to you, then keep going.

Skip step1 and go to steps 2 & 3 directly if the file that you've downloaded is a video file of some sort or a disc image file i.e. .bin/.cue/.mpeg/.avi/ .mkv/ .ogm / .daa / .iso
  • Step 1:

Upon completion of your bittorrent download, you should see a compilation of files ending with 0001 or some sequence at the end of the same filename, but different suffix.

I.E.

comets0001
    comets0002
    etc, etc

An NFO file & SFV file may also be included within the download.

The NFO file is used to instruct the user on HOW to apply cracks, or even install the application/game, so to open this file. Right-Click on the NFO file and open with notepad

The SFV file is usually a text file, which is also opened with notepad, this file basically tells you what FILES are within your torrent download, this is used for checking the contents of your torrent download. 

What do you do with these?

Well, they're basically RAR portions.

Explanation: WinRAR is what we call an "archive manager" program. Its job is to package and compress large files for more efficient downloading. WinRAR is capable of squeezing a 1024 megabyte movie into 600 megabytes of smaller linked files. Because of its power and versatility, this tool is extremely popular amongst file sharers.

In your case, you are interested in decompressing ("extracting") a downloaded file, and converting back into full usable format.

Be sure to download and install winRAR!
    You can download winrar at www.rarlab.com

*Note: Winzip can do the same job, however most bittorrent users choose winRAR instead due to its better user interface. This is also due to the fact that most files are compressed by groups using winRAR*

Open the completed torrent download Folder: [Below is a screenshot of what your folder's contents may look like]
    Posted Image

Once your computer recognises these files as RAR files, it should look like the below screenshot (circled) If you see alot of files, looking like blank icons, please right click on any one of the files, and click open with ---> choose program (find winRAR.exe), and click the checkbox Always use the selected program to open this kind of file. Your PC will now automatically recognise these as RARed files.:
    Posted Image

Next, Double-click on any one of the files ending with those 0001, etc
    If your computer still does not recognize these files, right-click any one of these files, open with --> winRAR
    Extract to your desired location.

Should you receive an error from winRAR during extraction, try 'testing' the RARed file, by locating your file in WinRAR and clicking TEST. If the test comes back negative, Re-Hash the torrent file to see whether or not you're missing any files.

Wait, my files aren't in .rar form, they're in .par or .par2 filetype! What do I do?

Well, in quick summary, .par and .par2 are not used commonly, these types of files are used to repair missing/corrupt .rar files. I haven't seen or used these types of files for a long long time. So, my basic knowledge is head to this site to download their app + read tutorial on using this application.

http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

More info regarding this type of file can be obtained at: http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6
  • Step 2:

After extraction, you may find an ISO image, .daa image or .bin. or .cue or .dat or .mdf (& .mds if .mdf file is present, but don't worry about the .mds file, it is needed, but Alcohol120% will only see the .mdf file present)

These can all be further 'mounted' or burnt onto 700 mb CDs with a program known as Alcohol 120%.
    Please note, if Alcohol120% cannot play the .daa file, use this application to open it:

[PowerISO mildly supports more formats than Alcohol120%, but we recommend you to use Alcohol120% since it is much more user-friendly and updated more frequently.]

Alcohol 120% can be downloaded at: www.alcohol-soft.com/

Part 1:Now open the program. Posted Image
    Click on File --> Open

Part 2: Next, locate your image file, then click Open. [Just to clarify, in this step, any image that Alcohol 120% can see in its window, means that it's a recognisable image. If you cannot see this image file with Alcohol 120% during the opening of it, please proceed to the bottom of this guide, and locate the notes next to the bold-red 'Update' word.
    Posted Image
    Part 3:[If it does not open or you're unable to see your image file even though you're in the right directory, then Alcohol does not support this image extension, if so, use Daemon Tools, which can be downloaded by
    Clicking Here]

Posted Image

Now, the final Step, Mount the image, by right-clicking on the file [it should appear in the white boxed area] ---> Mount ---> Choose your virtual drive letter
    Once opened, you should see it in the bottom section of Alcohol 120%, indicated by the green 'almost' rectangular box I've drawn.

If you're starting to run out of virtual drives, head to File --> Option --> Virtual Drive --> Choose the number of drives you want. Now your file is mounted and ready to be accessed in Windows Explorer. [Look below in screenshot]

Posted Image

It should auto-run if it is a software/game, if not, access via Windows Explorer. If you are required to burn the image onto a 700 mb CD, its simple, just left - click on that burning CD image, and click Burning Wizard [Icon with a burning disc to the left hand side - Main Tab]. Then Alcohol will guide you through their burning process step by step, just like Nero.

Concerns have been raised with whether they should use Nero ImageDrive - This is not a good software to use for burning images onto CDs/DVDs, it's much better to stick to Alcohol 120% If you use this program, you use it at your own risk, there are just far too many problems with Nero burning such images. This program is only good for Cd-Copying, or Data Disks. ISOBuster is not a good software, either to decompress image files, this software has been known to corrupt the image's contents. If you really need to use these 2 applications, please raise this issue at the Technical Support Forum

How do I apply the (crack).exe to my Game/Software

Most torrents contain instructions for applying any necessary cracks/patches for games/software in the form of a "file.nfo" This is a text document, and can be opened in any text editor. We cannot offer any assistance in using such files as they violate the publisher enduser agreement.
  • Step 3

Ok, I've done all of that, but my file isn't a software or game CD, rather its a movie file! But I'm unable to open the movie file with my windows Media Player.

This can be done by downloading below [Read the .vob part if your file does not end in .mkv/.ogm/.avi/.mpeg/.divx]:

You will need to install the an appropriate codec pack, have a look at this list, by Clicking Here (Credits to Const2k for the link) and download any one of the codec packs provided on that site. If there are Full packages there for download, use those.

Alternatively, we also recommend users to use the CCCP pack (You will need to read their FAQ/Installation info), click the link below, then open your files with your favourite media player i.e. Windows Media Player.
    cccp-project.net.

.mkv & .ogm files must be opened via Windows Media Player Classic. Right clicking on the video screen during the playing of the video file will pop-up alot of menus, one of which enables different audio output, so you can watch that anime in either English/Japanese. Subtitles should automatically be played in your video file...if not, be sure to install DirectvobSub.

.vob & .ifo & .bup files are DVD files, these can be played with Cyberlink PowerDVD

.bin .cue files may sometimes also be packaged as a film within the torrent download. Refer to Step 2, to mount the .bin .cue file, then once it's mounted, you should be able to see media files within the virtual drive.

.b5i files are BlindWrite Files, please head to the BlindWrite website for further information regarding this file type, and how to open it.
The BitComet staff hope that this answers any of your questions regarding the opening of your completed torrent downloads.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post a new topic within BitComet help.

*Update: If you have downloaded an image which was not explained above, such as ccd or nrg, etc. Please head here for further information:
http://10mbit.com/faq/bt/#41 and locate: "4.2 Compression Formats" You will also find further info & F.A.Qs all related to bitttorrent.

Kind Regards

BitComet Team

*Fully Updated & Completed Guide - 11th July, 2006 for user-purposes*
Please keep in mind that this is only a general guide, if you require specific assistance; please create a new topic within the appropriate BitComet Help sub-forum(s). Should there be any incorrect, or out of date information within this guide, feel free to PM me, and I'll update it as necessary. If I missed out in crediting anyone, or any site when creating this guide, PM me or any other BitComet staff, and they will make the alterations as needed.

Edited by cassie, 26 November 2009 - 09:43 PM.

<!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--><div align="center"><!--fonto:Comic Sans MS--><span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><!--/fonto-->Please download the <a href="http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html" target="_blank">Belarc Tool </a> or <a href="http://www.sysinfolab.com/download.htm" target="_blank">Astra</a> to obtain all the specs of your PC.<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--></div>
<div align="center"><a href="http://forums.bitcomet.com/index.php?showtopic=347" target="_blank">BitComet updated FAQ</a> </div><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#2 Dark_Shroud

Release Group

• Members
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:04 AM

Ok to add to what you've just said.
First, K-Lite really is outdated. If you're just looking for video playback support for your players use CCCP (click on my sig). It's based off FFDShow which is the best for codec support. Their DivX & Xvid work better than the offical versions. CCCP will work on all Windows operating systems you just have to download the correct version.

Also, if there is an .mds file click on that for burning or mounting. The .mds file is the instructional file that tells the burning/mounting program what to do. If you want a great freeware burning program for images use Imgburn, it's by the same guy who wrote DVD Decrypter.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Soraiya

Power User

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:30 AM

Interesting ^^ Yeah I have heard of of this CCCP package, I'll add it in as well...to let users choose, because those with older operating systems may encounter problems with CCCP. Thanks for the update Dark!
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--><div align="center"><!--fonto:Comic Sans MS--><span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><!--/fonto-->Please download the <a href="http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html" target="_blank">Belarc Tool </a> or <a href="http://www.sysinfolab.com/download.htm" target="_blank">Astra</a> to obtain all the specs of your PC.<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--></div>
<div align="center"><a href="http://forums.bitcomet.com/index.php?showtopic=347" target="_blank">BitComet updated FAQ</a> </div><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#4 aiden

peer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:51 AM

I downloaded Borland Delphi Architect 2005 via BitComet and I have the folder saved and everything but I dont know how to 'install' the program....in the download folder there are 4 files:

Delphi2005Disk1
Delphi2005Disk2
Delphi2005Disk3
shockiso (which comes up as MSinfo Document)

I'm having trouble figuring out how turn these files into usable files to install the program because the Delphi2005Disk# files have .daa extensions and I dont know what on earth program uses .daa files :(

#5 Soraiya

Power User

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:41 PM

Hi Aiden,

Oh .daa files are basically more compressed, even more advanced iso type files. You can try opening .daa files by exactly the same method as .iso

i.e. Follow from step 2 in my guide.

If Alcohol 120% does not recognise that filetype, please use this application:

http://www.poweriso.com/

Though this software is trial only, unless you buy it. So um *cough cough* try searching for this software via torrents or other methods.

#6 vicxxcool

peer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:26 PM

when i open the file on winRAR it has few errors on my files it said "unexpected end of archive" and "the archive is either in unknown fomat or damged"

um i open alcoho 120 and the files when i right click it, it only show remove for the list but no mount on device

#7 Soraiya

Power User

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:56 AM

In the WinRAR application, locate your RAR files, and click test.

If it comes back with a negative result, this means that your files are indeed corrupt and/or missing. If this is the case, re-hash the torrent you're downloading to see whether or not you can retrieve the missing parts.

#8 zeroblind101

peer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

okay well i am having a f****** huge problem..u see.. i have just downloaded a game called www.bitreactor.to_Warhammer_Mark_Of_Chaos-Razor1911... well the first disk has like f****** 30 files to unzip and i cant figure out which one to actaully turn into a mount image..some one help me there is no easy thing for this...

Edited by cassie, 16 December 2006 - 01:59 AM.

#9 kluelos

Support Team

• BitComet Tech Support
  • 8,070 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:17 PM

It's far too late to say that splitting an archive into multiple files is pointless, because too many people do it and will continue to do it, so we have to live with it.

Fortunately, it doesn't matter much. To open one of them is to open all of them, the whole archive, so it doesn't matter at all which one you actually open. Only time it's a problem is if one is missing.

""When you seek it, you cannot find it; prob'ly cuz you stuck it in that cupboard in the shed and put paint cans in front of it."
– Billy-Bob Gautama

#10 grapeflux

peer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:30 PM

Hi, I just downloaded Torrent and Alcohol 120% and have no idea what I'm doing.

I've managed to download an ISO image (a movie/DVD, or that's what it's supposed to be anyway). But, when I right-click on the image in Alcohol 120%, it doesn't allow me to mount it. I don't know what disc I'm supposed to be using.

Help!!!