To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Translation Project Beta Pre-Discussion

Soraiya

Dear all BitComet + about-to-be BitComet users,

I would like your views + suggestions on the following amendments on BitComet: -

• Remove all the Language Files (.xml files within 'lang' & 'fav' folder) except for English. In doing so, this removes approximately 1.7 mbs off any new BitComet Releases in the future.
  • Include a README or Note to direct all Non-English Users to this "Translations" forum to download their preferred language.
  • 2 Users will be assigned to translating 1 language.
  • With every new BitComet release, all translators will be e-mailed, and a new xml file will be issued for translators to translate. Most features will be the same, but new features will need to be translated.
  • Users no longer self-translate and send their translated xml file to our Yahoo BitComet E-mail, when this Translation Project initiates.

Everyone is encouraged to comment on this, as soon as I gather enough support I'll advise RnySmile to amend these changes. Although we are abit behind other clients in creating an organized language release, it isn't too late.

Regards

Soraiya

I think we might get swamped with users that can't figure out how to add the language pack, no matter how easy you make it.

sorry to be cynical, but I think its a great idea for most experienced users, but perhaps a multilingle version being availble ready to go is also a good idea.

I do like the idea of making bit comet lean and mean though.

anyhow, since we are just chatting at this point, this is my first thoughts, and I look forward to hearing what other members think.

Suspect

I think we might get swamped with users that can't figure out how to add the language pack, no matter how easy you make it.

sorry to be cynical, but I think its a great idea for most experienced users, but perhaps a multilingle version being availble ready to go is also a good idea.

I agree with Suspect - no matter how easy you make it (the language pack), I'm afraid that many users will have difficulties figuring out how to add it.

I, too, think that a multi-lingual version ('ready-to-go') would most likely be an easier method for them to start out with (at least for newbies and less-experienced users).

Just a personal observation: since most computer programs are in English, by default, many people - since they don't understand what they're reading - will automatically install them in said form.

Only later (and only if they're really interested in acquiring more knowledge about their newly-acquired program) will they modify the settings, titles, task bars, etc., to the language of their choice.

If I sound a bit discouraging, it's not my intention, but I know a lot of users that simply want to install the program and get going with the downloads... A bit lazy/overly-eager, if you like, but a sad reality. :(

Regards,

cassie :)