To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Translators Wanted in forum

As you can see we have added a Spanish and French forum here.

I would like to add more sections as well. Each will require translators to moderate the forum, and translate requests for support so that our support team can reply.

A basic knowledge of bit torrent usage is helpful, but not required.

A commitment to check on the posts on a daily basis (if possible) is required

Here is an opportunity to contribute to the file sharing community by creating a forum in your language

Suspect

• 4 years later...

Hi,

It has been some time since we expanded our international forum, as this topic was posted in 2006. Since then the French forum has pretty much failed, although we have kept it in hopes that it could be revived if proper staff and translators become available. Our Spanish and Romanian sections have few staff members, but since we don't get a lot of traffic there, we have been doing ok.

I'm not against the idea of expanding to support more languages, but it would require a commitment from someone fluent in both English and the Language of the forum. This person would also need to check the forum at least daily and be willing to translate all support requests into English for our support team to review. Beside knowledge of languages, understanding computer and bittorrent terms in both languages is a must, because they usually don't translate literally.

If your serious about opening a dutch forum here, we will consider it, but I suspect it will get little or no traffic at all, at least in the beginning, so I'd need someone who is content to stay here long term and not lose interest if there is nothing to do.

If your wanting to pursue this, please message "Cassie", she has been serving as our administrator of international forums and is best qualified to evaluate your language skills, then we'll go from there.

TuuS

A language moderator also needs to play some role in driving traffic in that language to the site. We normally have no contact with the universe of sites in other languages, and no real way to effectively communicate that we support that language. so it is largely up to the language mods to spread that word among their communities.

• 1 month later...

You can read my reply above. I'm not against adding more language sections, but before we are going to consider that, we would want to see some commitment from regular members here that have made an effort to be helpful over a reasonable period of time. We would like to get to know a person, and see that they are able and qualified to help users in English, only then will we consider opening our forum to additional languages, but with the right staff members, it would be a nice addition to add many more popular languages, and to restaff the French section that has been stagnant for a couple years.

• 3 months later...

So far, I haven't seen any Russian traffic in the forum.

As I said in a previous message, a forum translator also has a role in driving traffic to the forum -- that means getting the word out that this particular language is supported now, and getting speakers of it to come here with their questions and issues. Why would the forum bother to have a Russian translator when there's never any Russian-language traffic for him to translate?

You'd need to be in a position to say, "There's a lot of people who WOULD use this forum if they could get help here in Russian. I know because they all talk on these other Russian forums and ask questions about BitComet (or Cometbird or MPCStar) and can't get good answers. If you had a Russian forum, they'd all come here."

• 11 months later...

There's a lot of people who WOULD use this forum if they could get help here in Russian. I know because they all talk on these other Russian forums and ask questions about BitComet (or Cometbird or MPCStar) and can't get good answers. If you had a Russian forum, they'd all come here.

Людей, которые будут использовать этот форум, если смогут получить помощь здесь на русском языке, в том числе и по вопросам о BitComet (или Cometbird или MPCStar), достаточно много. Если включить веточку на Российский Форум, число желающих непременно возрастёт и многие смогут получать развёрнутые ответы именно здесь... (это очевидно, но заинтересована ли в этом администрация. <?>) :(

• Like 1

That was exactly our thinking about the French forum, and we have had it set up with a couple of different moderators, through the years. When they left, poor Cassie had to cover both the Spanish and French forums, which was too much for one person. We ended up closing the French forum.

It's all very well to claim that "if you build it, they will come", but this has not been our experience. A language moderator needs to have some ability to drive foreign-language traffic to this site, to get the word out to bittorrent sites using that language, that help is now available here. This is in addition to having the confidence of the support team, that the person can handle support mentally, and will reliably be here to do the job.

Note that we do not insist on technological experience, computer, network or bittorrent expertise. We do expect a moderator to be able to converse properly in both languages ABOUT these subjects. We can supply the technological expertise, we just need it translated correctly and timely.

It would be nice to have a russian forum, with qualified staff to moderate it I'd be willing to make it, but I'd need to see some commitment from the members who wish to do the translating.

• 1 year later...

Hey you need Indonesian translator :)

here im ready for it !

You are welcome to help members in the forum, in time if we see some traffic from indonesian members, we could consider making a forum for them. This goes for pretty much any language. We've had french and romanian, but had to stop offering support due to lack of dedicated staff.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...