To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Program Frozen

I recommend you be clear about this.

Does the bit comet program freeze? or your operating system freeze?

If it is just bit comet, you will be able to open task manager (ctr, alt, del), and kill the process.

If you cannot do anything, then it is your windows that is crashing (even if caused by conflict with bit comet)

I'm sure more details will be helpful for our developers.

In the meantime, you might want to step back to a previous version and see if the problems still exsists (a suggestion)

Suspect

I recommend you be clear about this.

Does the bit comet program freeze? or your operating system freeze?

If it is just bit comet, you will be able to open task manager (ctr, alt, del), and kill the process.

If you cannot do anything, then it is your windows that is crashing (even if caused by conflict with bit comet)

I'm sure more details will be helpful for our developers.

In the meantime, you might want to step back to a previous version and see if the problems still exists (a suggestion)

Suspect

For my part, i'm running BC 0.70 for 1 month and half now, working perfectly, with high DL speeds, with a winXP SP2 os. No problems until now.

The freezes started 2 days ago. Freezes (and it's effectively system freezes when BC is working) occures when the system is with screensaver mode. I thought it was the screensaver, but going off didn't resolved the problem.

The last thing i did before i watched those freezes, is an winXP update, with last security patches. I didn't tried to remove the patches after i watched the freezes problems.

When i work with my pc, and with BC working, there isn't freezes. It only occured when there is no human activity.

I hope this can help developpers.

BTW, sorry for my lame english language (I'm from sticking-cheese eating-frog land ^^)

Quiet sad i must say. I too am facing the same problem. Before, in the previous version I was well off and was able to download and upload a fair bit. Now with verison 0.70 roled out things have changed drasticly. The worse thing I dislike the most is that when it craches it takes windows down along with it. I am searching every where for a patch. Does any one out there have has this problem in the past and have later managed to fix it. If so, could you please help me. Thankyou very much.

P.s for the record, I doubt its my ram since I have about 2.5 Gb of ram and there is lot to spare.

i have the same problem with 0.70 freezing my whole computer. If i leave bc on for a long time it would just make everything not usable (ex. i try to run firefox or any other program it gives me an error), i can't even shutdown windows without manually pressing and holding the power button.

i've tried a clean install of 0.70 and it didn't work, i alway tried a clean downgrade back to 0.63 and it didn't work... anyone have any clue? i didn't use to do this but i dun kno what version that was, or maybe i did something wrong with the clean downgrade to 0.63...

Well maybe you will be so kind to post full specification of your system hardware, windows version, most of the programs you have running when you pc freezed, router model, keyboard model (i am kidding for the last one :P ) and maybe the admins here will forward that information to the developers, so they can try to fix it.

I had the same issues when I was using 0.6x version I think it was 0.63 but when I ugraded to 0.68, 0.69, 0.70 it works like a charm.

look at this tread

Windows XP Home SP2

RAM: 2.25 GB

P4 2.6ghz

ATI Radeon x850 PRO AGP

Router: Linksys WRT54G v2 (DD-WRT Firmware v23 SP1) (Also have all the fixes for hanging internet and stuff : http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_no..._GL_GS_routers)

Programs running: NOD32, Zonealarm Pro 6.5.722, ATI Tray Tools, and Bitcomet of course

Have tried v 0.70 (freezes) 0.63 (freezes) 0.68 (random freezes, not all the time)

You can try to stop all tasks 20 sec before quit BC and use exit toolbar button for exit BC. Also you can try to uncheck the options in the options for minimizing to system tray, close to system tray, start minimized, auto start BC on win startup, autoresume tasks on BC startup, show welcome page and show intro view, enabel balloon tray notification, add torrentmake to contex menu at runtime, check for updates at startup; check the option for avoid system entering suspend mode when task is running.
Edited by dimchopicha2003 (see edit history)

My god, you're running Zonealarm and NOD32.

Zonealarm is one of the worst firewalls to when using p2p apps. It can't keep up with the connections and blocks a lot of legit peers. Plus it modifies the TCP/IP stack without telling you and leaves a lot of crap on your computer. And as a final screw up you can't disable it, it will keep running. So you have to uninstall it compleatly.

NOD32 is known for causeing conflicts and being overly paranoid. It's not to big of a problem but I discourage using it.

dimchopicha2003: isn't that for if bc crashes when u maunally exit the program? i can't even exit it, it just freezes my whole comp when im not around, and i have all those things set anyways, all the settings are like the ones u said

Dark_Shroud: i've also read somewhere else it could be zonealarm but i've had zonealarm + bc + nod32 running together in the pass and there wasn't this problem... u sure its zonealarm and nod32??

If worst comes to worst and it is zonealarm what is a good firewall that u would recommend? but i would really like to keep zonealarm cuz its a good firewall in general... so please find out if the problem lies somewhere else. thanks

If NOD32 isn't giving you messages and junk then don't worry about it. :)

But Zonealarm is not a good firewall in general. It used to be but its been going down hill for years now. It can't handle the connections for p2p traffic. Especially the UDP for BitTorrent.

If NOD32 isn't giving you messages and junk then don't worry about it. :)

But Zonealarm is not a good firewall in general. It used to be but its been going down hill for years now. It can't handle the connections for p2p traffic. Especially the UDP for BitTorrent.

so what would be a better choice of firewall?

it seems that 0.68 is doing pretty well, it has frozen up for the pass few times i left it on, dunno..

• 5 weeks later...

It cant be NOD32 because i had that program running on my pc along with bitcomet, i have the same problem now since i formatted my pc and i had to reinstall everything so i think is the version not the windows :P , im testing the 0.71 to see if it freezes :D

so what would be a better choice of firewall?

McAfee is a solid firewall. If you don't want McAfee then try Kerio's free personal version. I have a link to their site in my sig.

It cant be NOD32 because i had that program running on my pc along with bitcomet, i have the same problem now since i formatted my pc and i had to reinstall everything so i think is the version not the windows :P , im testing the 0.71 to see if it freezes :D

I can only understand the very first part of what you're trying to say. Anyway NOD32 has been reported many times over on various sites about having problems with p2p programs & traffic. Just because something works for you (to your knowledge) doesn't mean it works for others because they most likly have their OS set up differently.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm having a similar problem. whenever i leave BC on overnight, and it's doing a lot of transfering, there's usually a big problem when i wake up:

BC is frozen, and whenever i try to start another app i get an error message (i believe it said "Application failed to initialize properly"). zerocrash, you mentioned an error message when you try to start other apps. Is that the same message you get?

i'm not sure if it's BC that's doing it. i might be the HDD. i used to get "delayed write cache failure" errors a while ago, as did others with the same drive (newegg review), so i'm thinking that might be it.

anyone have any updates? i'm hesitant to RMA the drive, because my whole OS partition and data partion are on it.

i'm having a similar problem. whenever i leave BC on overnight, and it's doing a lot of transfering, there's usually a big problem when i wake up.

Ok, run a memtest and double check your memory and let it run for at least an hour.

As for your hd, when was the last time you ran a defrag? Also, try using this awesome freeware app: CCleaner to clean out any junk from your pc. :)

i ran memtest a while ago, and everything was fine. and i'm not very concerned with defragging yet, because the whole system is less than 2 months old and both partitions are less than half full.

i was actually running ZoneAlarm though. after reading tons of stuff telling me ZoneAlarm & BC are incompatible, i uninstalled ZA last night. BC ran all night without a problem, but i'm not sure if it was transfering enough to cause the problems i was seeing earlier.

i'll just have to wait and see.