To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Program Frozen

Running Windows XP-Pro SP2, on an Intel D940 with 2GB RAM. NVidia PCIe ASUS 7600GT. ADSL (4.6MB down, 512kb up) Thompson USB modem, no router. Retail BitDefender Antivirus Plus v10.

Been using BitComet since the 0.54 version.

Have been using the 0.70 version for quite a while, never a problem.

Upgraded to 0.77, but that was a mistake. Upgraded 1 day later to the 0.79 version, thanx to an immediate answer on the last crash report of version 0.77, which contained a link to the 0.79 download page.

Now, this 0.79 version gets stuck after approximately 12hrs of use. The icon still sits in my system tray and when I hover my cursor above the icon I get the regular up/download info, but when clicking the icon, BitComet doesn't react.

Funny things is that I can open a second instance of the same BitComet, tho, of course, I get an error saying it can't listen to port xxxxx, because that port is in use by the *other*, stuck version of BitComet.

The up/downloads in the 'stuck' BitComet are still running, at least, that's what I think, as I can't get them to run in the newly opened BitComet window, getting a red cross in front of the torrent, meaning that the torrent is in use by another client.

Also, with an upload of your own, there's no more upload ratio showing in the 0.79 edition... it stays 0.00, no matter how long you've seeded.

And to complete the picture, also only with torrents you've created yourself, there's no seeders showing either. Earlier versions showed the peers that had finished as seeders, but with 0.79, nothing.

I've gone back to the 0.70 version, till there's a more stable upgrade available.

JJ

i ran memtest a while ago, and everything was fine. and i'm not very concerned with defragging yet, because the whole system is less than 2 months old and both partitions are less than half full.

i was actually running ZoneAlarm though. after reading tons of stuff telling me ZoneAlarm & BC are incompatible, i uninstalled ZA last night. BC ran all night without a problem, but i'm not sure if it was transfering enough to cause the problems i was seeing earlier.

i'll just have to wait and see.

Fragmentation of yer hard drive has nothing to do with how old your system is, Brunascle... But with the frequency at which you install/uninstall programs, apps and /or games/music/whatever...

I've got 5 HD's with 2 partitions each. 3 partitions are in use the most: my C-drive, obviously, and my "Uploads" and "Downloads" drives...

The C-drive and the "Downloads" drive get a nice defrag *every* week ;)

What happens when you install/uninstall a lot of stuff, is that, because practically no 2 files have the same size, windows fills-out empty spaces with parts of things that you install/download...

If you just moved a folder with a 450MB size, and after that you downlaod a file with a size of, say, 460MB, parts of that downloaded folder will be put into the void left by the 450MB folder you moved.

Problem is that it is not sure that windows will fill the 450MB void with exact the same volume, maybe leaving a couple of MB empty space.

It can also be, that parts of a folder are being split. Even smaller mp3 files can get chopped in more parts to fit in empty spaces, thus making it ahrder for yer machine to relocate the stuff when you want to have a look/listen...

You say your system is *only* 2 months old... well, I've transited around 500GB in that period of time, of which 400GB is burned to CD/DVD, the rest has been transferred to other discs... ;)

JJ

Sorry for the double post... :(

If you use your computer very much at all -- and I mean anything more than a couple of times a week -- then you need a regular maintenance procedure including defragging your drive, and you need to do that often. Once a month is the bare minimum. This is where you run scandisk on all drives, defrag them, run virus scan, adware scan, spyware scan. If you can schedule some of this to run automatically, you should do it.

I came across a lovely little program from Ashampoo called "Magical Defrag", that runs constantly in the background and defrags your drives constantly in unused CPU cycles. It's done a good job so far with minimal interference. It's commercial payware though.