To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Cometbird Language Problem

Hallo everyone, Cometbird is suberb!!!!! I elected to have it in English, but today when I use the search engine the response pages come up in Spanish. This didnt happen before today. Also Cometbird doesn't give me the chance to save and quit my pages when I close it. It has also stopped asking me if I want CB to save my password when I register on a new site. It also sometimes doesn't offer this but instead just warns me that I am closing multiple pages. Can anyone help please?

What search engine? Many search sites show you the search page based on your locale settings (Google included). So check your regional settings.

In the latest versions Firefox saves automatically all the open tabs if Show my windows and tabs from last time is selected under Options-->Main [startup section]. So it doesn't prompt you anymore.

When it still warns you before closing multiple tabs (even with the above option selected) it does that because you are closing multiple tabs in a different window, and apparently those are no saved.

Is Remember passwords for sites under Options-->Security checked?

If these don't fix it for you, as sophia said, give more info.

Thanks guys I have the newest version as I only downloaded it about 1 month ago and have my settings on auto update. Everything was working fine until yesterday and then these problems arose. I have not downloaded any new programs during that time. It must be something stupid I have done on the settings without knowing. I just want my save & quit back. Yesterday I clicked on save & quit the first time I closed out and when I came back on line later, it hadnt saved my windows that were open. I have followed your instructions greywizard and everything looks set correctly but I dont understand how to check my regional settings. But even that is weird because it is only today it has started giving me the google search engine result in Spanish. Could it be something to do with my internet? I live in the Dominican Republic and the internet is pretty crappy here. The last couple of days it has gone a bit strange. I just want my great CB back the way it was. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Now CB logged me out of this forum and cut me off. When I got back on line I received this message from CB

Well, this is embarrassing.

CometBird is having trouble recovering your windows and tabs. This is usually caused by a recently opened web page. ??????? The only web page I had opened was this one.

Ladybird, CB did not "log you off", as you state.

CB crashed. There's a difference.

CometBird, just like Firefox (which CB's based on), tries to recover from a crash by restoring all of the previous tabs and locations that were open when it crashed, the next time it restarts.

Sometimes, it cannot restore them, and then you get that, "Well, this is embarrassing..." message.

Your Windows regional settings are found in the Control Panel under Regional and Language Options. CB can modify this in its options, under the Content tab, with the "Language Settings". Check these settings too.

Ladybird, CB did not "log you off", as you state...

Superb thanks, I went into the CP and although I had the language set to English, the location was set to the Dominican Republic, I have changed this to the US so hopefully that will solve the Spanish problem. In CB I already had the language set to English.

However CB is not acting right. Last night when I went onto my regular sites I found I had to sign on again, yet I am always signed in as I originally clicked the remember me button on the first times. I also confirmed CB to remember my password on each site, it did this w.o. problem but has stopped for the past few days.. I have just done another test and closed down before I replied to you and CB did not offer to save and quit nor warn me I was closing multiple tabs. I have the warning for this activated. I dont get it. It is like it is doing what it wants not what I have set it to. I did not set the country to the DR. My search engines were always in English until the last few days. I did watch the new Paranormal Activity Movie on line, maybe that has something to do with it. LOL. I appreciate your help.

Edited by greywizard (see edit history)

What OS are you using?

Windows XP. Whatever is wrong it was so bad this morning, I had to go back to F.Fox to get on with things. What is embarrassing for me is I am a Moderator on a site and I help a lot of people and I have recommended CB to them, yet I can't solve this. Are these things common occurrences in CB? Thank you.

You need to tell us the settings in your CB for this stuff.

As I've told you in my first post, if Show my windows and tabs from last time is selected under Options-->Main [startup section] CB will not prompt you to save even if Warn me when closing multiple tabs is selected, since that would be redundant. Is that your case? You haven't said which is your setting for that. Check both this setting and the one for warning before closing multiple tabs, again, and let us know.

The same for the Remember passwords for sites. Is it enabled? Check the Saved passwords page too, and see if your sites which should have had saved passwords are still there.

I'm not sure if the Regional Settings can be changed by loading a web page with a script in it but it certainly can be changed by an application on your computer which runs under an administrator account. Although, right now, it beats me why any application would need to do that. So, it could be any piece of software residing in your computer. If it doesn't repeat, you could consider it an accident. But it if makes a habit out of that you'll need to dig deeper to find out which one it is.

Please don't quote a message you're replying to when it isn't necessary. It isn't necessary if the message is right above you there. Use the "Fast reply" or "add reply" features rather than the quote-reply balloon. You should quote a message only when it's relevant -- say, when you're replying only to one particular point and not to the message as a whole; and if you're doing that, edit the quote to eliminate the unneecessary. Nobody needs to read every message twice.

The behaviour you cite indicates that the cookies from these sites have been wiped or aren't being set.

Cookies. Oh, boy. Well, web browsers are completely stateless. This is a difficult concept. Cookies work around that to provide the context, the state or status of things.

Imagine a phone conversation with someone who, after every exchange, forgets who you are and everything that you've talked about so far. You say something, he replies.

Now you're going to say something in reply to that, but wait: FIRST you have to say who you are again, and what you were just talking about again, before you reply. That is 'stateless'.

Every time you start speaking you have to first remind him of who you are, what you and he have agreed to so far, and only then tell him what you want now. (Annoying, that.)

Absolutely nothing is remembered from page to page, from visit to visit. Cookies are tiny text files sent by the web site to your browser for storage, for the purpose of providing this "state", this sense or 'memory" of what we were doing.

When you revisit a web site it requests its cookie back from your browser. That cookie tells it who you are, what language you prefer to use on the site, what your account information is, whether you want to be logged in automatically, what you were just doing on the site, and everything else that is relevant for a context, or state, pertaining to that web site.

The site sets cookies during your visit, so that it can "remember" what page you were on, or where you were in a transaction. These cookies are sent back whenever the site requests them, such as when you link to a different page.

(If you want, or are sufficiently clever (and perverse), you can actually navigate the site by editing the cookies in Notepad before they're sent back. You don't want to do that. Nobody should want to do that. It's just weird.)

If you change the browser's security settings to block some or all cookies, or just that site's cookies, then the site no longer has any context for you. It's as if you were contacting the site for the very first time ever, and it will continue to be that way until you permit the site's cookies.

There has been a lot of hyperparanoid ranting about cookies, but this is the way that the web works, so if you want to block all cookies, you have to put up with the inconvenience that this causes -- probably including not being able to order things on many web sites. (Your "shopping cart" contents are frequently another cookie.)

This sounds like something changed your CometBird security settings. A complete uninstall would have that effect. You probably need to reexamine ALL of your CometBird options, because you likely can't rely on any of them to be the way they were before whatever-it-was happened.

You need to tell us the settings in your CB for this stuff.

As I've told you in my first post, if Show my windows and tabs from last time is selected under Options-->Main [startup section] CB will not prompt you to save even if Warn me when closing multiple tabs is selected, since that would be redundant. Is that your case? You haven't said which is your setting for that. Check both this setting and the one for warning before closing multiple tabs, again, and let us know.

Ahhhhhhhh that makes sense, the tab is clicked in both remember my tabs and closing multiple tabs. Now I understand why I dont get the warning.

The same for the Remember passwords for sites. Is it enabled? Check the Saved passwords page too, and see if your sites which should have had saved passwords are still there.

Yes it is enabled

I'm not sure if the Regional Settings can be changed by loading a web page with a script in it but it certainly can be changed by an application on your computer which runs under an administrator account. Although, right now, it beats me why any application would need to do that. So, it could be any piece of software residing in your computer. If it doesn't repeat, you could consider it an accident. But it if makes a habit out of that you'll need to dig deeper to find out which one it is.

Thank you, from the previous advice I went into control panel and changed my regional settings, the search engine now shows results in English. I dont know how or why it changed to Spanish as I never knew how to do that before you advised me. Maybe it was when I download CB.

Just an afterthought, this may be CB and not me, as I have had a few messages from CB saying how embarrassing it cant open my stored windows. Today it is working fine and thank you for all your help. I have learnt a lot from you and I still think CB is terrific.

**Edited by mod**

Full quotation removed

If you're running CometBird right now, close it (close all CometBird's windows). Now hold the Windows key while pressing the R key. A small window will pop up. Type cometbird -safe-mode and hit the Enter key (this is: cometbird[space][dash]safe[dash]mode). The CometBird's Safe Mode window will appear...

Thank you these problems have come back today with shutting down. It was fine yesterday. Now I have tested 4 times and it did not save the windows I had opened and yet I have that clicked to save my windows when I close down, but each time it didnt. I am going to do as you have said above. here goes.

Edited by greywizard (see edit history)

Well KNTRO, it didnt work I still have the same problems. Yet when I come on through Mozilla Firefox, CB comes up as the browser and works fine. When I come on through CB direct I have the problems. I cant solve it and I have done everything suggested. Going through FF to CB allow CB to work correctly and save my pages. HELP. does this mean I will have to use FF from now on to use CB? CB is set as my default browser.

I am very near you LOL in the Dominican Republic. Lots of weird things happen here with the internet, so this doesnt surprise me.

I have just thought of something, because soneone hijacked my accounts on paypal, ebay etc, I turned on and set the Master Password, could that be the problem when I restart CB and it doesnt save my pages?

I just tested that and removed the MP and CB still doesnt save the pages on close down

Edited by Ladybbird (see edit history)

No, I don't think the master password has anything to do with your problem. But if your accounts got highjacked there is a pretty good chance that you have a trojan/rootkit in your computer right now. Are you, currently, running any antivirus and firewall software on your computer?

Because if you don't it is as good as a house left with all the doors and windows open and the owner left in Hawaii.

For your CB problem I think that a clean reinstall would be the best way to go, at this point (uninstall CB, delete all the remnants in the folder program and clean the registry with a cleaning utility such as CCleaner and after that reinstall it).

But only if you are sure that your computer is clean right now. If not, a thorough scan with at least one good antivirus, a good malware detector and an active firewall are mandatory, before proceeding to anything else.

Alternatively you could just boot in command prompt, type: c:\format and rebuild everything from scratch. :P

I have reinstalled and the problems are still there

CB no longer asks me to remember passwords for sites

It opens a tab in a new browser

It now warns I am closing Multi pages but does not give me the option to save and quit.

I have checked and rechecked and I have clicked on the options for the above to work correctly.

The problem is with CB, as I sometimes get the message CB is embarrassed etc....

It is driving me crazy., I have had to go back to FF which is soooooooo slow. What can I do? Thank you

If you did not clean out the system and registry as suggested, these issues will remain. The cleanup is an essential step.

There is no technological reason for any speed difference between CometBird and the browser it's based on, Firefox. The apparent slowdown is most likely due to simple accretion of add-ons and settings/preferences. Often such speed differences are subjective.

If you did not clean out the system and registry as suggested, these issues will remain. The cleanup is an essential step.

There is no technological reason for any speed difference between CometBird and the browser it's based on, Firefox. The apparent slowdown is most likely due to simple accretion of add-ons and settings/preferences. Often such speed differences are subjective.

It has gotten worse, now when I open a new tab it opens in another new CB window. It is still not saving my pages. I have checked my settings and it is doing exactly the opposite of what I have chosen to have.

Please do not use quotations more than is necessary. If the message you are replying to is directly before your answer, there is no purpose in quoting it, and we don't need to read everything twice.

Use the "reply" icon, or use the "Add Reply" or "Fast reply" features. Do NOT use the quote icon.

-------------

I have seen the behaviour you describe, as the result of partially-completed installations that leave the system in an unknown state.

kluelos

If you had read my previous explanation of why I needed to include posts when I reply you would have understood. This is because of a brain injury that has damaged my memory. I will make it easy for you if you if it bothers you so much and you consider it so important. I wont ask for help again to try to solve this. I will simply stop using Cometbird and no longer recommend it to my 70,000 members on my site. I would never nitpick to a new member with a problem, nor allow any of my helpers to do so, as you have done to me.

I would like to thank all the other support team members for all their help, it is a pity because I consider this problem important to improve CB. As I said originally, for the first month, it ran perfectly and the faults developed later, without me changing any settings.

Ladybbird, don't be so upset over nothing. :) I'm sure kluelos wasn't malicious. He just merely pointed out that full quotations are not necessary when you can keep just the lines you wish to refer to (if it's the case). That's just to keep the topics uncluttered and to avoid having to scroll, like forever, in order to get to the last post. Besides, he said "please", didn't he? ;) :P

Now, back to your problem.

I have reinstalled and the problems are still there

You've failed to let us know if you did take the suggested steps and performed a clean reinstall. That is, if you have removed any traces of CB from the hard disk and Windows registry. Because if you didn't, your efforts are futile.

So, my advice:

1. backup all your bookmarks (export them);
  2. uninstall CometBird;
  3. uninstall Firefox;
  4. delete both applications' folders from Program Files (if they are still there);
  5. (here comes the tricky part) look under your Documents and Settings subfolders and delete any folder or file related to CometBird, Firefox or Mozilla. You will have to check at least the Application Data and Local Settings\Application Data folders, for every of the user accounts and for the All Users account. In order to accomplish all this you might need to make visible the hidden and system folders in Explorer first;
  6. download and run a system cleaner (CCleaner is tiny and good) and perform a clean sweep of the whole system and especially of the system registry;
  7. now, that you've hopefully cleaned your system of the remaining traces reinstall CB (and Firefox if you wish).

If after all that you still can't get it to work, it means that the aliens have hijacked your computer and don't want to let go of it. So, you'll have to reformat the hard drive. :D

Ladybbird,

I'm so sorry that the method I told you didn't work out and just made you waste time. :( If you applied Reset all user preferences to CometBird defaults and nothing worked out, it could be an issue from another program, not from CometBird itself.

You do not need to apologise for anything, you seem to have the brain that I once had!!! I am glad you are perservering with me and I thank you. You wont believe this but 12 hours after you wrote this I was already in the middle of following your instructions when a neighbour called me out for help. Something had happened to his wife. I ran up the hill and saw them operating resusitation, but I could see she was already dead after I did the tests. Her lips were turning blue. Nothing could have saved her. Then I had a massive heart attack. (The original brain fracture and hematoma I had damaged my heart). Can you believe that? the doctor and paramedics I had called out took me to the clinic instead of her. I am back home as I could no longer afford to pay the clinic. Seeing your final message at the end of this text really cheered me so God Bless You my private Muscateer. I am replying to you from my bed so whoop whoop!!!!!!!

Now onward with this, I need to quote your message, in order to answer each part, so I hope I do not get a spanking for this again. :blink:

You said you uninstalled CometBird and re-installed it, right? Well, did you check the Remove my CometBird personal data and customizations box in the uninstallation process? By checking this box, you're doing a FULL uninstallation.

No I did not but I have this time

Attempt 4

If none of these stuffs worked, AND if you wanna tryin' uninstalling & re-installing CometBird, follow the next steps.

None of those worked to solve the problems

Uninstall CometBird (remember to check the Remove my CometBird personal data and customizations box, as in the first capture above). After uninstall CometBird, reboot your computer.

I didnt do that last time - remove the CB PD and customizations.

When cleaning finished, go to the Registry section. It's recommended that all the boxes be checked here. Click on the Scan for issues and when it's ready click on the Fix selected issues... button and fix'em all.

After I did that it asked did I wish to record what I had deleted I clicked no, hope that was right.

Finally, close all windows, reboot your computer once more and re-install CometBird now.

As before, try opening some sites on different tabs and try quitting CometBird.

CB Is working just fine, exactly as It did when I first downloaded. It is great. How can I ever than you for the simple detailed instructions you gave me. YIPPEEEEEEEEEE

Oh, yeah, people here use to listen to Jean Carlos' vallenato. I think he's from República Dominicana, isn't he? And some Argentinian actors in 2005 went to República Dominicana to shot a film called Papá se volvió loco when they showed the OUTSTANDING landscapes of your awesomely beautiful country.

We have a history you and I. I am a Brit that moved here to the D.R. We hear great things about your county my friend. Many of us Brits were sad that stupid politics harmed a lot of people in your country and ours in the war.

Gotcha, kluelos. So, that also applies to this:

Please don't quote a message you're replying to when it isn't necessary. It isn't necessary if the message is right above you there.

You already said it, pal. The girl ain't fool, she can read, buddy. Don't be so hard, please. B)

Oh, Ladybbird, please, don't feel so bad. I think kluelos didn't mean to hurt you. It's just a misunderstood, that's all. It's not worth feeling so bad, I bet you have more important things to think about. ;) Just forget about this fighting, Ladybbird. Live your life, be happy! :rolleyes:

Peace for all!

Thanks for the defense My Muscateer, I forgive kluelos. Life is too short after what has happened to me. Now I have to give up my business. The first woman in the Caribbean, if not the whole South America to start such a business and survive - against the mafiosa, then to be brought down by a mere heart attack!!!

:rolleyes:

www.sasdomrep.com

:o :police:

Saludos y gracias to you, to kluelos, and greywizard for all your great help. I am so glad I have my CB back as normal.

Edited by cassie (see edit history)

I have sent you a pm so we don't hijack the thread too much. You should be on the Tech Support Team, you are excellent.

You and all the staff on here should watch these documentaries, This is the first movie you should watch, skip the beginning , the religious part, the rest is very important for all of us.

-Zeitgeist,The Movie-Remastered

and the second, it might well explain this latest "economic crisis" and how it was orchestrated, and some very frightening explanations from the engineers of the Twin Towers after 9/11, which I believe they banned in the US and the engineers were told to shut up.

Zeitgeist Addendum

Edited by Ladybbird (see edit history)