Comet Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MaliceTheRebel

Why cometbird?

In the forum description, the first few words reads "why cometbird?" I thought i'd find the answer by visiting. Is there a list of features i can find? a general rundown of specifics or technical stuff i can read up on? or is the only way to find out by actually getting and using it?

Throw me a sales pitch here >.<

CometBird is developed upon Firefox's source code, hence these two browsers are almost the same. Compare to Firefox, CometBird has the following additional features:

• Online bookmarks(CometMarks): this function allows users to manage their books even they're on a different computer/operating system.
  • Online video download: users can download online videos/audio/flash when they're watching it.
  • Word translator and notes: CometBird has a word translator, it'll show the translation in user's language when hover mouse on certain words. And the notes function helps users to remember/save information.
  • Coloured tabs: Tabs of relevant webpages will be categorised into colours.
  • Ctrl+Tab: Press Ctrl+Tab when viewing multi site with CometBird, a preview of thumbnails will appear to show all the existing webpages.

However, I think using CometBird will be the best way to know it, you can download CometBird from HERE. :)

I'm sorry lucy, i must be stressing you out =( (at least this is the last post i can make in a while apparently =P) but i just wanted to ask if you guys plan to update this: 87099056.jpg to include browsers like opera/firefox/chrome or any other very popular and heavily used browsers? If not, that's my suggestion for you =)

I too would like to see this added to cometbird. At very least importing data from firefox would be nice, but chrome too would be good.

It's possible to import data manually from Mozilla Firefox to CometBird and viceversa (after both web browsers are installed). There are two ways to do that.

Importing bookmarks from one Mozilla technology based web browser to another one

These steps are the ones you have to make in order to import the bookmarks from one Mozilla Firefox based to another. In this example, I will use the Firefox-to-CometBird case (importing bookmarks from Mozilla Firefox to export them to CometBird).

■1. Open the web browser where you have the bookmarks you wanna copy from (i.e. "export"). In this example I'll use Firefox 3.6.

■2. From menu bar go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks.... The Library window will open.

■3. Click on the Import and Backup button and choose Export HTML.... Select a location to save the bookmarks.html file.

■4. Now, run the web browser where you want to take the bookmarks to (i.e. "import"). In this example, I'm using CometBird 3.6.

■5. From menu bar go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks.... The Library window will open.

■6. Click on the Import and Backup button and choose Import HTML.... A dialog window will appear. Choose From an HTML file and click on the Next button and then select the file saved at step 3. It's possible you can choose Mozilla Firefox instead of From an HTML file, which would be easier indeed.

Once the process is done, your bookmarks as well your folders of bookmarks will be exported. Tags will NOT be exported. If you want export tags as well, read below.

Importing a JSON file from one Mozilla technology based web browser to another one

With the previous instructions you only will be importing and exporting bookmarks, not tags. However, by using a JSON file, you will be importing and exporting bookmarks, folders of bookmarks and tags.

■1. Open the web browser where you have the JSON file you wanna copy from (i.e. "export"). In this example I'll use Firefox 3.6.

■2. From menu bar go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks.... The Library window will open.

■3. Click on the Import and Backup button and choose Backup.... Select a location to save the bookmarks-yyyy-mm-dd.json file [yyyy will be the year, mm will be the month and dd will be the day].

■4. Now, run the web browser where you want to take the JSON file to (i.e. "import"). In this example, I'm using CometBird 3.6.

■5. From menu bar go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks.... The Library window will open.

■6. Click on the Import and Backup button and choose Restore and then select Choose File.... A dialog window will appear. Now select the file saved at step 3.

I didn't post any screenshot neither here, because I think it's easy enough and the menus and windows are very simple in these steps, IMHO.

Regards,