To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Downloaded files won't play anymore, progess reset to zero

dybre

dybre, whether the files are in-progress or not doesn't seem to make a difference. We're not sure, and we don't have enough reliable evidence, but it does seem that just disabling any of the files is enough to trigger this.

Your client should not be doing auto hash-checks at all, if it wasn't shut down improperly, so that's pretty worrisome.

• 2 weeks later...

hiya umm would love to but cant find a site that will aloow me to donload anything but v 1.26 and btw after posting previously i tried a manual hash check still on v 1.26 and it reverted it back to 0-1.5% on all the files just a little bit more info for u :) and i would just like to also suggest that once u have fixed the bug that on the beta or new version i suggest a period of about a month where the VIP service is free so we can catch back up to our previous download percentages it would also been a nice PR move lol neways best of luck with the bug but i am only willing to stay loyal to bitcomet for another month unless either the problem is resolved or my downloads are fixed i only say this as the growing feeling between my friends and i is that the new VIP system is a very bad idea why would anyone stay with Bitcomet when they can get the fastest speeds available for free on nearly anyother torrenter and several have already moved on due to this i hope youre updates in the future wont be so problematic and that u continue with ur otherwise perfect systems

Hi, All versions of BitComet are available at bitcomet.com. I even have a link in my signature below to point members to them.

To address your concerns.

VIP isn't needed or required to download and BitComet doesn't give you lesser performance if you don't use it. In fact, bitcomet without vip can often download faster then any other client. The VIP service is only one additional option to help increase performance for our users, and it cost money to operate and develop because it uses highspeed servers so the torrent your running can upload faster therefore getting the files for you in less time. The fees collected are simply to pay for costs and development and it's completely optional. Remember we've never asked anyone to pay for our software or our services.

Also, BitComet is the ONLY bittorrent client that can download your files from sources outside the traditional bittorrent swarm, so you can even complete torrents that aren't seeded. Our proprietary LTseed protocol often gets our users the downloaded files in a fraction of the time. The same is true of integrating the ed2k (emule) network into a bittorrent swarm. No other client can do this and if you move to another client, your reducing your sources to only bittorrent peers in that specific swarm. Bitcomet can even connect you to peers in other bittorrent swarms that have some, or all of the same files via LTseed connections, so as you can see, even without VIP, we have far more to offer then any other client.

As for giving the VIP for free, it's a good idea, but unfortunately with over 2.5million users daily, if we gave it free the servers would be overworked and wouldn't provide a positive experience for any of our users, paying or not. We (sadly) had to restrict the "free trial" users (temporarily) until we can handle the huge numbers of users wanting to use the service.

Also plans are in the works for an anonymous download service, similar to vip but where your IP address is never connected to the swarm. We expect this will be a popular feature but needs to be further developed before it can go public.