To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Firefox Users

BitComet has designed browser integration option for popular web browsers to enhance the use of our program, but please use restraint when updating to new major versions of FireFox browser.

When Firefox major updates (examples, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 etc) are released, you'll find that many extensions are not compatible, including BitComet's extensions. When ever these updates are released, or development team begins development on an update which will be noted in the next versions release notes when released.

However, we highly recommend you wait to update to major new releases, not only for this reason, but they usually have other issues that normally take a month or two to resolve.

If you've already installed a new FireFox version and don't want to revert back to a prior version, then why not try CometBird. It's developed from FireFox source code and is enhanced to meet the needs of the file sharing community. It will co-exist with firefox very well and you may even like it better.

• Like 1

Many users were unhappy with firefox 4.x versions which is probably the reason for the quick release of 5.0. I'd recommend getting the last stable release of firefox 3, which is 3.6.16.

Same is true with Cometbird

• 7 months later...

You can always try to cheat by modifying the max version in the install.rdf file but it does not always work. For example Firefox 10.0.1 sees bitcomet video downloader 1.31 but it wont detect any video files so i gueese it needs more than that to work

got that idea from people on Mozilla Addons website, i trick used to make old abanndonned addons compatible with newer version of FF. never hurts to try :P

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

firefox makes bitcomet use very hard am getting tired from this

In what way does Firefox make BitComet hard to use? Have you tried the (above-mentioned) suggested CometBird?

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi There,

Asked this question in another thread, but didn;t get answered.

What is the latest version of Firefox that will most likely work with Bitcomet?

I am currently using FF 26.0 & Bitcomet V1.37.

Has anyone had any luck using Bitcomet with newer versions of FF?

Is there any plan for a new release of Bitcomet in the future?

Cheers

Tim

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi There,

Couldn't get Bitcomet working with newer versions of Firefox.

What version of Firefox does Bitcomet 1.40 support?

I also tried installing Cometbird & then installing Bitcomet 1.40, but that doesn't work either

Same issue - the option to select Bitcomet when downloading / saving files does not appear.

Thanks

Tim

You can also try using "flashgot" extension for firefox

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashgot/

This is what bitcomet's extension is based on and it lets you use bitcomet as well as other download managers and you can select for each download , or send all downloads to bitcomet which I don't recommend because some servers don't allow multiple connections so some things you'll have to get the slow old fashioned way. I used to use BitComet, Free Download Manager and FileZilla all with flashgot extension. Each has their strong points, but in my mind there is no doubt BitComet is the most advanced client in the world, if it wasn't I wouldn't be here supporting it.

You can also try using "flashgot" extension for firefox

https://addons.mozil...addon/flashgot/

This is what bitcomet's extension is based on and it lets you use bitcomet as well as other download managers and you can select for each download , or send all downloads to bitcomet which I don't recommend because some servers don't allow multiple connections so some things you'll have to get the slow old fashioned way. I used to use BitComet, Free Download Manager and FileZilla all with flashgot extension. Each has their strong points, but in my mind there is no doubt BitComet is the most advanced client in the world, if it wasn't I wouldn't be here supporting it.

Thank you, the add on is now allowing Bitcomet to work.

I agree, I love Bitcomet & use it regularly, thats why it is frustrating when Mozilla update FF & it stops working :-)

Thank you, the add on is now allowing Bitcomet to work.

I agree, I love Bitcomet & use it regularly, thats why it is frustrating when Mozilla update FF & it stops working :-)

Unfortunately Firefox made a choice a few years back to change the way they issued new versions of the browser. They always had major version numbers require all extensions be rewritten but for many years we went from firefox 1 to firefox 3, and updates were done by going from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 and so on, but then then went to version 4, then 5, then to 6, 7, 8 etc with only weeks between instead of years and each time forcing bitcomet to redo all their work and all this during a crisis on how to finance the bitcomet project, so we were forced to put the firefox issue on the back burner, and with the growing popularity of Google Chrome browser it was nice that support for that was added, but glad FlashGot has helped your problem.

Hi StarTrekCafe,

We had several members using your screen reader a couple years ago from a school for the blind in India and they requested several enhancements to bitcomet to make it more user friendly and the development team made the changes for them.

As for searching torrents, BitComet was more involved with that years ago, but do to lack of finances they no longer have the manpower to keep the lists of torrent sites updated, but there is a search box in the upper righthand corner, the default site to search is "the pirate bay", but there are others too. The left pane also lists torrent sites, but the lists haven't been updated in many years and it's not likely it will be updated anymore. Most users learn the sites they like and use them directly in a browser. This might be a good idea for you if the torrent sites work well with your screen reader.

As for me, my responsibilities are limited to running this forum, so I cannot make changes to the software for you, but would be glad to do anything within my power to help make it easier for our blind users.

• 3 weeks later...