To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

inconsistancy in DL/UL limit, task speed and bandwidth used

chaoscommand

Modify the network.max.udp.pkt_per_sec setting in the Options-->Advanced settings to a very conservative value, such as 5 or 10. If that fixes your issue, then you can start increasing it by steps of 5 until you reach a threshold value that makes the problem come back.

Then decrease back by 10 or 20 and stay under that threshold. This should keep things in order.

There are several max connection setting in bitcomet, there is the max connection attempt (half open), the max connections (global), max connections per task, but since your problem is with udp specifically, it's the max udp packets per second limit that you may want to adjust... if this problem persists.

This isn't really a connection limit, it only limits how many udp packets can be sent each second.

ps. GreyWizard was responsible for getting this feature added and it's designed to help weak routers tolerate p2p usage. It's an excellent tool for easing the workload of your router.

network.max.udp.pkt_per_sec 5

nothing changed compared to when it was 100

160NL shouldn't be a weak router, so no suprise here

now i noticed that bitcomet shows up to 90 kBps and is not constant on a value (before, it was 65 with 60 limit)(PS:found a thread about this on forum)

Edited by chaoscommand (see edit history)

Agreed, that router should be able to handle anything bitcomet throws at it.

From here, I'd make sure you limit your max upload speed to 80% of your confirmed (not advertised) speed, and leave download unlimited. You can then set "low bandwidth" limits for when you want to share the connection by using the scheduler. Typical browsing shouldn't be a problem with these settings, but if your doing things like streaming video, online gaming, etc., then you'll want lower limits.

Just make sure you calculate using proper measurements and don't mix up your bits "b" and Bytes "B".

ps. I see you're using the DD-WRT firmware on your router, what do you think of it? I wanted to use it on mine, but my model isn't supported.

I'm limiting up at .25 and down at .33 of mex speeds all the time and only remove limit when there's a file I need urgently, meaning almost never, line still gets hogged.

I was using WRT540GL for two months without problems (160 got struck by lightning...), haven't changed any settings and bitcomet still went berserk after installation.

Are there any files/regiatry entries that have to be removed manually to make a clean install of an earlier bitcomet version? I think I didn't update before windows crashed, so maybe 1.27 or 1.26 will work for me (yeah, I'm desperate...)

for the DD-WRT,it's flashed on my router only because the stock software had a bug that forced a crash every few hours when using P2P software. Changing firmware was an option to repair this and it did so. I'm really glad that the bug came up and forced me to use DD-WRT, compared to stock it's better at everything and offers many new options. Getting an external disk to work under DD-WRT is a pain compared to stock, and it wasn't simple before either. Some say that tomato is better, haven't confirmed that yet.

You should be able to install any previous version of bitcomet, but if you want to use a much older one, then I'd delete your .xml files from your appdata\bitcomet and program files\bitcomet folders, but this won't be necessary to step back a few versions.

You can also get the .zip version which doesn't need to be installed. Just extract the .zip and run it as a portable app. This would make testing easier and if you find one you like better, you then could install the .exe if you prefer.

Just don't attempt to run the installed and portable versions at the same time.

• 1 month later...

what? your post sounds like lies...

my "limit" its exceeded MASSIVELY...

it doesnt matter what the limit is set to. the upload is maximized and download suffers.

i dont mind shareing. but not when i cant download anything.....

if upload is set to 10kbps my connection is saturated to maximum (50kbps) if i limit it to 5 its still @ 50kbps. if i limit it to 15 its still maxes my upload.

for the last 8 or 9 versions its done this.

infact when i turn all tasks off bitcomet maxes my upload. even though i might have all tasks off.

only way to bypass the anoyance is to not use bitcomet.

utorrent?

i dont care i like bitcommet but im done wit my connection being monoplized.

its to the point now where the task does what it wants and i cant even download because from the moment "GO" my connection is uploading at max.

at work....

at home...

for the last year of bitcommet it does this bullshit.

before(i moved) i had enough bandwidth now i dont.

dont tell me it runs a little bit over. 400kbps over 35kbps isnt "a little bit"

infAct i can stop all tasks. and bitcomet will STILL upload at MAX SPEED unless i shut down the program!!!!

Edited by z3rokool420 (see edit history)

z3rokool420, Besides being very unwise to be rude to someone you're asking for help, you've also violated forum rules. If this continues, you'll not be welcome to post here.

First thing we need you to do is read the "READ THIS before posting" topic, so we'll know something about your system. Then make your own topic, it would be rude to help you within another members topic.

Also I'd recommend you read up on the benefits of Long-Term Seed protocol, what it can do to speed up your downloads, the fact that it can be used to finish an unseeded bittorrent task and in turn share with the rest of the bittorrent swarm, and of course that it queues unused upload bandwidth to be used when your not running any torrents, so the uploading when all tasks are stopped is normal when LTseed is enabled. If you don't like it, disable it, but you will reduce the potential speed of your torrents.

z3rokool420, Besides being very unwise to be rude to someone you're asking for help, you've also violated forum rules. If this continues, you'll not be welcome to post here.

First thing we need you to do is read the "READ THIS before posting" topic, so we'll know something about your system. Then make your own topic, it would be rude to help you within another members topic.

Also I'd recommend you read up on the benefits of Long-Term Seed protocol, what it can do to speed up your downloads, the fact that it can be used to finish an unseeded bittorrent task and in turn share with the rest of the bittorrent swarm, and of course that it queues unused upload bandwidth to be used when your not running any torrents, so the uploading when all tasks are stopped is normal when LTseed is enabled. If you don't like it, disable it, but you will reduce the potential speed of your torrents.

i like shareing.

but when you use all my bandwidth for LTS and dont let it count on my "sign in" name/VIp? ranked account? whatever

what benefit is it to me?

there are plenty of terrent clients.

not all of them monopolize my bandwidth in a negative way.

if you want more poeple to use this client then dont burry settings like that inside submenues with a pre-set limit of unlimited....

i have less then 1.5mbps download and 128kbps upload. your client is great but why would i not be rude?

if the client jams my connection...BY DEFAULT!

im sorry but thats poor programing.

i dont need help.

IM GIVING YOU GUYS HELP.

you can ban me or delete these posts if you feel, but the point is still there.

and i mean no disrespect.

i love shareing. my screenshots showed my share ratios.

LTseed doesn't monopolize your connection or bandwidth, the protocol is designed to throttle down when the bandwidth isn't needed for bittorrent transfers, and the benefit to you is even greater for someone with limited upload speed because with bittorrent transfers, you need to gain peers that are interested in trading based solely on what you can send them right now, which in your case is very low, but with LTseed, you can get fullspeeds from each connection, the more you use it, the more connections you're allowed, and in return you will upload to others when your connection isn't being used for bittorrent transfers.

If it uses more bandwidth then you like, then change the settings, or if you don't like LTseed, then turn it off completely.

All of this you should know already, it's well documented in our websites and press releases, but you say you're here to help us??? then why do I have to explain something so basic to you?

And again, this isn't your topic so I'm going to close it.

If the original member who made this topic wants it reopened, you can message any staff member.