To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Error "system cannot find specified file"

jr00d0

I have been using BitComet for several years with several differenct computer setups with no porblems at all. My last use of BC was three months ago before bicycle accident. Anyway, I log on yesterday to download; after trying to start download, I get a red x and error message that "system cannot find specified file" I have tried several different torrent sites, many different torrents with the same result.

I am connected and have all green lights on ports.

I am using Win7 64 bit, Comcast cable, Linksys wrt120N router, Vonage fone adapter. I have changed NOTHING on the computer since last download. I have gone through the FAQ's and can't seem to find any info on this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

The most obvious thing to check is your default download directory, in your settings. If it doesn't exist, BitComet will try to create it but subject to your operating system -- which you didn't specify in spite of a request in the READ BEFORE POSTING sticky topic, that you do so. It must not refer to a nonexistent drive or contain illegal characters.

Try changing the location of your download folder, if you have multiple users then you must make sure to use a folder that all users can access. The default that bitcomet will use is c:\downloads, which isn't usually restricted but each user account will be assigned a separate folder for downloads, if you changed bitcomet to use this folder in one account, then it won't work when a different user attempts to use it.

Check again, as I stated my OS is windows7 64 bit.....Again as I said everything worked perfectly for several months. NOTHING was changed ANYWHERE on the machine. No directories changed nothing. Default download directory is there and fully accessible. The computer sat untouched for a month and a half while I recouped.

I just tried changing the location of the download folder......no luck. Same thing....the torrent opens and is shown in the download window; but I will just get the red x and error that specified file cannot be found. Today, I have tried three different torrent sites....same result. not sure what to try next.

Thanx in advance for any other ideas you may have.

You're right, I overlooked that.

Now the question is, "which file?", and I suspect that it's the .torrent file. You may be running afoul of virtual storage here, but that would mean things changed. On the other hand SOMEthing must have changed or you wouldn't be having these issues. So I suggest you do a complete uninstall of BitComet, including deleting the program directory and all of its contents, as well as any BitComet folder in %appdata%, then reinstalling from scratch. This should take care of all of the possible issues including wonky permissions and corrupt files.. You'll lose your task list, but it's not working anyway. You'll also lose all of your options, but it's not that hard to set them back up.