Comet Forums

Hi everyone,

As you may know I'm one of the all-time CometBird's user. I love this web browser as this is a perfect partner for Firefox — I mean, hands up if you ever wanted to have 2 Firefoxs running at the same time because of your 2 Google/Yahoo!/whatever accounts... ;) CometBird used to help a lot to users like me. However, since far April CometBird have stopped updating. Last version available is 11.0 from 2012.04.01 and Firefox's current version is 16.0.1. :o So far, none of the CometNetwork employees told us what happened, why there is no more updates since a long time.

I repeat, I love CB, but it's seriously risky to go browsing around with such outdated web browser. So I think I've gotten a possible solution for all those CB users that are as worried as me — The solution is to try the Comodo's IceDragon web browser, which is a Firefox's fork for Windows, just like CB. Good news is that current IceDragon version is 16.1.0.1, which means it's just updated as current Firefox release.

IceDragon is available in the same languages that Firefox, the installer is in United States English though. If you need to change the browser's UI language, once you installed and ran it, go to Tools > Options > General > and under the Select browser language (requires restart) option, select your favorite language. Then, choose your preferred languages for browsing the web: go to Tools > Options > Content > Languages section and click the Choose... button.

So here you have the IceDragon web browser by Comodo. Anyway I'll keep using CometBird v11.0 until next new year because I hope they release new versions of CB. If they don't, I'll keep using CB11 until December's last days.

Hope this alternative web browser helps other people as it did for me. ;)

Best regards,

If you want to run multiple versions of firefox, just get a portable version, you can run as many of them as you like.

As for cometbird development, they haven't come out and said as much, but I think it's pretty obvious that mozilla suddenly started changing version numbers every couple weeks. Because of the way they designed the browser, each new version number renders all extensions and add-ons obsolete, so it became a full time job trying to keep our extensions upto date.

Don't get me wrong, we all want upto date software, but for example, 3.6.11 was good and if it needed to be updated they could issue 3.6.12, or 3.7, and everyone would be happy, but when they called it 4.0, it forced thousands of developers world wide to redo all their work, which bitcomet did, first for our client, then for the browser, then 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0... it was rude and uncalled for. I've been hoping they would finally find a number they like and stick with it for at least a year or two, as it's not helping anyone or making anything safer to render everyones work obsolete with each update, in fact it makes people less secure because many people refuse to update so they won't lose all their extensions.

Hopefully they will be more considerate in the future, and I also hope that the development team can find the time to update cometbird, but in the meantime if you want to use a portable version of firefox, you can get one here....

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Hi Suspect!

It's been a long time since we talk. It's nice to hearing from you again.

If you want to run multiple versions of firefox, just get a portable version, you can run as many of them as you like.

First of all, thanks for your suggestion. However I'm not sure if someone can run multiple versions of Firefox at the same time, despite an installed build or a portable one. I know it's possible to run e.g. the release channel and the Aurora channel at the same time, by using the Mozilla's Profile Manager or even using the very same Firefox's profiles at the same time. That's something you can do, right? But the handle is different if you use Firefox and CometBird simultaneously, it's easier and nicer. It's like having 2 things very similar but each from its own place, without jammin' each other.

As for cometbird development, they haven't come out and said as much, but I think it's pretty obvious that mozilla suddenly started changing version numbers every couple weeks. Because of the way they designed the browser, each new version number renders all extensions and add-ons obsolete, so it became a full time job trying to keep our extensions upto date.

Don't get me wrong, we all want upto date software, but for example, 3.6.11 was good and if it needed to be updated they could issue 3.6.12, or 3.7, and everyone would be happy, but when they called it 4.0, it forced thousands of developers world wide to redo all their work, which bitcomet did, first for our client, then for the browser, then 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0... it was rude and uncalled for. I've been hoping they would finally find a number they like and stick with it for at least a year or two, as it's not helping anyone or making anything safer to render everyones work obsolete with each update, in fact it makes people less secure because many people refuse to update so they won't lose all their extensions.

No, no, we share the same point of view. I was one of the first Mozilla Communities' member who was not happy at all with this decision of releasing a new Firefox major version every 6 weeks or so. Anyway, they did it. :P But there's a hope for CometBird developers: adopt CB to Firefox ESR —Mozilla Firefox Extended Support Release—, which currently is in version 10.0.10esr, released some days ago, which will last around one year, with eventual security fixes only, not a whole new code every 6 weeks like the regular releases. That would be a really smart idea since developers only should update a few files, not all the source code.

Hopefully they will be more considerate in the future, and I also hope that the development team can find the time to update cometbird, but in the meantime if you want to use a portable version of firefox, you can get one here....

http://portableapps....irefox_portable

We all hope so. CometBird is a very important piece of software in my computer and I don't wish it to die as other great projects did...

Best regards,

Edited by KNTRO (see edit history)