Comet Forums
Rhubarb

This ain't a new decade

We seem to be getting people all over the place going on about a 'new decade' which doesn't actually happen for another year.

I thought we went through all that in 2000. A year ending in zero is NOT the start of a new decade - it's the END of one (a 'new' decade stars with a '1' as there never was a year zero).

Look at it this way - if you're asked to count to ten, you start at 1 and finish at 10 - you don't run from 0 to 9

• Haha 1

What?? No Year Zero???... (just kidding, I was born on a year that ended in "0")😄

Yeah, I know.... BUT... there are those that still can't get their heads around how "age" (or an era) works, be it a decade, century or millenium. 😒

Um - it's millennium (from #mille' and annus) 1,000 and year). NOT from mile and anus - soldier and the second word needs no translation LOL

Ooops!.. In Spanish it's milenio, which, yes, is 'one thousand years' (from 'mila annorum'...I also studied Latin, hehe)... and, like the name of the street where I live (Urano...the planet), the English translation can often be misconstrued, LOL! :D