Comet Forums
TripleThreat

v1.68 Continuous Crashes

Posted (edited)

Bitcomet 1.68 has been crashing extremely badly and renders itself unusable. I am only at 1700 active torrent tasks and left Bitcomet alone for like 10 minutes or so and it self would crash. That happened multiple times. 1.67 doesn't have this program. I use Windows 7.

Edited by TripleThreat (see edit history)

1,700 active torrents is a huge number. I did have problems with Bitcomet and, in the end, that was the culprit (I reduced the number of active torrents and everything worked fine afterwards). Remember that seeding does use up memory and CPU time.

ps - you do know that even MS doesn't support Windows 7

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Rhubarb said:

1,700 active torrents is a huge number. I did have problems with Bitcomet and, in the end, that was the culprit (I reduced the number of active torrents and everything worked fine afterwards). Remember that seeding does use up memory and CPU time.

ps - you do know that even MS doesn't support Windows 7

With the current problems and critical bugs that have been plaguing BitComet for many versions now, 1700 tasks are no problem for the software 1.67 and those before it to handle. I have only count such crashes at 1.68.

1.68 crashes are actual crashes with Windows force quitting it by itself, while 1.67 and those versions before  are  so slow and unresponsive that Windows asks you if you want to give up and quit BitComet.

Edited by TripleThreat (see edit history)

That's the point I made- that the load on the RAM and CPU are so great they force the lack of response. You are simply trying to do too much at the same time

It has nothing to do with the RAM and CPU, we are on top end machines with heaps of RAM and CPU. You can try this option, I've managed to solve the hang issue. Go to Advanced settings, and set this to true. No more hanging on my machine, and the XML files each is less than 1MB as it will only save those peer IPs that is connected to you.

With SSD and heaps of RAM, it won't even cause my machine a sweat.

bitcomet.jpg

Also, you may want to set this to a lower number, as the default (1000) is way to high! Setting this too high will jam your Internet connection.

bitcomet2.jpg

v1.68 is no good for me so I have downgraded back to the v1.67. I am finally going to upgrade to Win 10 once my new hard drives arrive. Then I will give v1.68 a try again.

I am going to give your suggestions a try, Tin, and will report back. I have 950 EVO as my main drive and 128G of ram, so I think I can handle the changes. I do see the  network_max could have been an issue for me since I have outdated router.

Just as a point of information - I have 29 active files (upload and download) and BC is using 300 MB of Ram. What it will take for well over 1,000 active files is something I'd rather not even think about

To give you another perspective, my other fresh Win 10 computer is currently running 12 upload tasks with 30G of actual files and with no active download tasks at 1.1GB of Ram and 3.0MB/s uploads.

I have upgraded my main computer to WIn 10 but v1.68 still crashes my computer.

Changes made to the options do not seem to work as starting a large batch of tasks would still halts BitComet to a stall and in need of a manual force quit.

At the risk of repeating myself - try reducing the number of active files

There is a chance your files are hashing due to an improper exit of the program, i havent upgrade to 1.68 so not sure 1.68 has an issue. If theres no hashing, i cant explain why it will slow just starting a task. If this is the case, u need start one by one as hashing do intensive reads.