Comet Forums

bitcomet is cutting my internet connection

before i was using a 1 mbps internet connection and there were no problems when i launched bitcomet. after that i upgraded to a 500 mbps internet connection and new routers were installed. after that a weird problem started

whenever i launch bitcomet to start downloading a torrent the internet will cut in the whole house for a bit. when peers are found and the download starts then the internet comes back

how do i stop bitcomet from cutting the internet when i launch the program and it's looking for peers?

That is more an issue with your iSP than with Bit Comet.

While BC itself may cut out, it simply can't affect every other computer in the house. It's possible your ISP is causing that to happen  - does it happen with a VPN (or conversely, if you have one, running without it)?

Also check that you are using static IP on the intranet (local network) with a pre-allocated port in the high figures

Posted (edited)

i solved the problem. the fault is with the DHT network. if it's enabled then it will cause the internet in the whole house to cut when i launch bitcomet and it's looking for peers. i disabled DHT network in the bitcomet settings and the problem went away

Edited by cns00 (see edit history)

By disabling DHT you are limiting the number of possible peers. It works something like your phone...

When DHT is disabled, you will only connect to those peers that you have initially called and have replied.

When DHT is enabed, however, it's the other peers who initiate the call (towards you) and offer you their bits.