To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet killing internet.

Recently when I load up Bitcomet, my internet simply dies. This may happen 2 hours after downloading, or as SOON as I open bitcomet. I've researched the problem very very thoroughly to which no solution was found. I've tried many things other forums suggested. If I do not open or use bitcomet, my internet is perfectly fine.

I've downloaded the tcpip.sys patch, I changed my connections from 10 to 50. That didn't work, So I tried 100. It still didn't work. I went back to 50. I've messed around with the preferences in bitcomet itself.

I really have no idea, but I am skeptical, and I think windows SP2 has something to do with this. That's just a guess...

I've called my cable company [cox cable] they were absolutely no help.

I've scanned my computer for virus', spyware, I removed everything found.

And the biggest thing...I do NOT have a router. My modem is connected straight out of the wall.

Anyone?!

I too have that problem. My modem works fine with other bittorrent clients. Bitcomet 0.58, 0.59 works fine but version 0.60-0.68 killing internet. =( I dont thin taht problem in my modem or internet. I too have that patch (tcpip.sys).

Thanks for all the replies.

I did infact try that post you linked Bitdave.

Most of the solutions were for people with routers.

As for the firmware update thing, I don't think Motorola modems supply those anywhere on the net.

I disabled my DHT network. Another question though, what exactly is the DHT network, and will it sacrifice download speeds? I'm going to monitor with DHT off!

Most of the suggestions there also can be applied to modems. It says "modem/router"

The DHT Network is a way for peers to get connected to each other and share torrents without the need for a tracker. See Here As of now it doesnt help your speed that much. But in the future it may become more important if the MAFIAA has its way.

Are you positive your modem is not also a router. Look in the Peers tab while your downloading a torrent; do you get "Remote" peers or are they all "Local" ???

Most of the suggestions there also can be applied to modems. It says "modem/router"

The DHT Network is a way for peers to get connected to each other and share torrents without the need for a tracker. See Here As of now it doesnt help your speed that much. But in the future it may become more important if the MAFIAA has its way.

Are you positive your modem is not also a router. Look in the Peers tab while your downloading a torrent; do you get "Remote" peers or are they all "Local" ???

I get both local and remote. I disabled DHT today and I finished downloading a full torrent without any D/C. However, I still havent tried browsing the internet while downloading. I left it on and went to sleep. So, so far so good!....

But yes, I get local and remote peers. Is there any other way I can check if my modem is also a router?

If you're getting local & remote peers then you're doing good.

If you're curious about your router do a web search for the band & model number.

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sb5120/

yeah, no router.

Just another guess, is it possible that a certain torrent file would give me bad connection, resulting in D/C? The certain torrent that I had for the past week (went very slow) finally finished today and I started a new torrent (popular, highly seeded) and I didn't notice any slow down or problems.

If it is possible for a torrent to do that, then...Well...!

If not, I will research this furthermore. I do kind of notice my D/L are a bit slower with DHT off so far.

Hm...that's a rather weird situation you have there. Btw, which BitComet Version are you running?

Torrents themselves can't really carry out the action of disconnecting your internet constantly unless if it was a hidden virus file, disguised as a torrent file.

Though, without your BitComet running, have you ever noticed whether your internet itself disconnects by itself every um...3 or so hours perhaps? i.e. Don't run BitComet, just connect to your internet, and surf as you would normally, and see how long it can run without disconnected. Because it is a cable modem, and...depending upon the stability of your ISP, it can be the ISP's phone line issue, not exactly software issue. Lol, it could be that it's coincidence that every time you opened BitComet, your internet dcc.

When you have your DHT disabled, it's practically the same as deleting one of your trackers within the torrent you're downloading. So..yes ^^ It can slow down quite abit.

Oh...and lastly...I've just realised this just then...when I was reading the site you provided...your modem could also be the issue for constant internet disconnections. Because this was what happened to another user...he also believed that it was his bittorrent client (He was using Utorrent) that kept disconnecting his internet...and in the end it was his modem that was having hardware issues.

Hm...that's a rather weird situation you have there. Btw, which BitComet Version are you running?

Torrents themselves can't really carry out the action of disconnecting your internet constantly unless if it was a hidden virus file, disguised as a torrent file.

Though, without your BitComet running, have you ever noticed whether your internet itself disconnects by itself every um...3 or so hours perhaps? i.e. Don't run BitComet, just connect to your internet, and surf as you would normally, and see how long it can run without disconnected. Because it is a cable modem, and...depending upon the stability of your ISP, it can be the ISP's phone line issue, not exactly software issue. Lol, it could be that it's coincidence that every time you opened BitComet, your internet dcc.

When you have your DHT disabled, it's practically the same as deleting one of your trackers within the torrent you're downloading. So..yes ^^ It can slow down quite abit.

Oh...and lastly...I've just realised this just then...when I was reading the site you provided...your modem could also be the issue for constant internet disconnections. Because this was what happened to another user...he also believed that it was his bittorrent client (He was using Utorrent) that kept disconnecting his internet...and in the end it was his modem that was having hardware issues.

Thanks for in depth reply :)

Well, first of all. You're right. Sometimes I don't even run Bitcomet, but I run DC++ (another filesharing prog) my internet also d/c's after a while within running DC++.

A little bit of information that might spark any ideas: Just a month ago my Hard Drive died. Now BEFORE it died, I had no problems with my internet disconnecting FREQUENTLY {ocassionally though} I had no problems running any programs. I could even run DC++ AND Bitcomet at the same time just fine. I had SP1 not SP2. So once it died, I had to get a brand new hard drive, and start from scratch. Ever since, I've had this here problem.

So I really have no idea. I've had the same modem all along as well. I did the tcpip.sys patch, and I checked in administrative tools udner 'system' the 4226 errors are gone, but STILL! I get disconnected quite often. When I called COX they gave me the usual run down bullcrap. Should I have them come out and check the actual modem? I don't see what is wrong with it, being it worked fine for a year. What else, sometimes sending files on AIM the bar just completely stops and BOOM internet is gone. This could all be a coincidence maybe? Maybe after I got a new HD the modem mysteriously got crappy? Or maybe it is something with SP2? (Which is the impression I get)

Haha, SO...any ideas? Today I downloaded a full movie file on BitComet flawessly. However, 30 mins later my internet disconnected and I had to turn off PC, unplug etc. :angry:

No problems!

Hm, well...Hard Drives are rarely if ever an issue, unless if it was bought second hand from someone (then you may have a chance of a hidden worm within the drive), but that's far more complex, and I doubt that's the issue.

Though the installation of Windows SP2 does spark some interest, because you're not the only one to encounter internet issues with SP2 version, some people can't even connect to the internet.

The thing is, if you were using SP1 at the start, and your computer didn't encounter any issues at all, it would be much better to stay with SP1 rather than upgrading to SP2.

One more thing to try is...do you use Windows' Firewall? Or a software firewall? Have you tried disabling the Windows' firewall and using your own firewall software?

[You can check your windows Firewall, by heading to start --> Control Panel --> Windows Firewall --> Click the checkbox Off.]

No problems!

Hm, well...Hard Drives are rarely if ever an issue, unless if it was bought second hand from someone (then you may have a chance of a hidden worm within the drive), but that's far more complex, and I doubt that's the issue.

Though the installation of Windows SP2 does spark some interest, because you're not the only one to encounter internet issues with SP2 version, some people can't even connect to the internet.

The thing is, if you were using SP1 at the start, and your computer didn't encounter any issues at all, it would be much better to stay with SP1 rather than upgrading to SP2.

One more thing to try is...do you use Windows' Firewall? Or a software firewall? Have you tried disabling the Windows' firewall and using your own firewall software?

[You can check your windows Firewall, by heading to start --> Control Panel --> Windows Firewall --> Click the checkbox Off.]

Well, I don't think the Hard Drive is the problem at all. It was store bought. I also did many virus scans, many spyware scans (with spyware doctor) and cleaned everything.

As for SP2, I don't know. Thing is, I tried uninstalling it and it gave me the warning saying it could make programs that I installed after SP2 not work correctly. I backed off, ha.

Also, I couldn't seem to find SP1 for download, maybe im just looking in the wrong place...

I turned off the firewall to see if it was the issue, no go. Just a while ago, I opened ventrilo (Voice communication prog) to talk with some friends. Guess what? I lag for a couple of minutes until my internet is cut off.

Anyway, the ONLY thing I can think of is the hardware...But, then again I really don't know WHAT to think. I came here thinking it was BitComet, and I'm sorry I did....I appreciate all the help from everyone even though my problem obviously isn't Bitcomet anymore.

So I guess my only solution is to try uninstalling SP2 (Which seems dangerous to me for a couple of reasons) OR making cox cable come out and checking out things.

Anymore ideas will be greatly appreciated!

No No, it's okay! :lol:

In fact if you found such a vulnerability via BitComet, it would've been better ^^ Since this is another feature to help us improve!

Well anyway, if you did do alot of Spyware + antivirus scans, then we can probably wipe out virus-attacks from your issue. It's most likely your SP2 version, as for the warning, don't worry about it. Just be sure to keep all your application install files/folders on a removable drive, or on a different drive, before uninstalling SP2.

Or yes, the other issue is to contact your ISP, depending on their customer service...they may actually assign a technician to help you sort things out. It's okay if you mention BitComet (i.e. you use bittorrent downloads) to them, just be sure to add in a few phrases like, I use torrent services to download subbed animation, etc...in case they ask. Since we don't want one issue adding to another.

Of course, if you wish, you can try just installing a separate windows i.e. You can run both Windows XP SP1 & SP2, this way...it'll be safer. But by doing it this way, it would mean that whenever you're downloading stuff via torrents, you'll need to use that windows. [using Norton PartitionMagic would be advisable...this app helps you to separate your drive into as many drives as you like...this helps you have a cleaner windows install.

No No, it's okay! :lol:

In fact if you found such a vulnerability via BitComet, it would've been better ^^ Since this is another feature to help us improve!

Well anyway, if you did do alot of Spyware + antivirus scans, then we can probably wipe out virus-attacks from your issue. It's most likely your SP2 version, as for the warning, don't worry about it. Just be sure to keep all your application install files/folders on a removable drive, or on a different drive, before uninstalling SP2.

Or yes, the other issue is to contact your ISP, depending on their customer service...they may actually assign a technician to help you sort things out. It's okay if you mention BitComet (i.e. you use bittorrent downloads) to them, just be sure to add in a few phrases like, I use torrent services to download subbed animation, etc...in case they ask. Since we don't want one issue adding to another.

Of course, if you wish, you can try just installing a separate windows i.e. You can run both Windows XP SP1 & SP2, this way...it'll be safer. But by doing it this way, it would mean that whenever you're downloading stuff via torrents, you'll need to use that windows. [using Norton PartitionMagic would be advisable...this app helps you to separate your drive into as many drives as you like...this helps you have a cleaner windows install.

Alrighty. Yeah, I really don't think my PC has any virus whatsoever. After all, I did 2 scans from two different antivirus sites. Symantec and the Panda one.

So once my ISP comes out here to check things out, I will inform you guys how it goes.

As for mentioning bitcomet to them, what exactly is subbed animation (sorry :-x)

I'm going to try and wait for my ISP to check things out before my last resort (uninstalling SP2)

Once again, thank everyone and especially you, Soraiya!

If I get this problem sorted out, I'm sure it will be of great help down the road. Someone is bound to run into it unfortunately, I know it!

No problems! Hope all goes well ^_^

Btw, subbed animation is basically raw anime (i.e. .avi files) which have english subtitles within them. This is quite legal worldwide...so just in case if you need to mention to your ISP that you're using bittorrent, that's a failsafe 'statement' to tell them.

Oh, and btw, were you using version 0.68?

Before trying something drastic like uninstalling SP-2 try checking windows logs. There are a lot of thing that can be causeing this.

What version of XP do you have: Home, Pro, of Media Center? Did you install any type of the third party patches besides livlord's that are floating around the net? How long has it been since your computer had a fresh install aka reformat? Is your copy of XP up to date? If your copy isn't legal pm me.

From what I've read & have personally seen part of your problem can that horrible outdated livlord TCP/IP patch. Get rid of that first. It doesn't work for Windows Media Center and has other problems. For Bittorrent you don't actually need it anyway. Especially for smarter ones like Bitcomet & µTorrent who put their own limiter in. So uninstall that patch first, if you can. I had to do a windows restore when I decided to test it. Because it killed my Windows update and only messed up my internet connection, had I waited I know it would have just killed it.

Before trying something drastic like uninstalling SP-2 try checking windows logs. There are a lot of thing that can be causeing this.

What version of XP do you have: Home, Pro, of Media Center? Did you install any type of the third party patches besides livlord's that are floating around the net? How long has it been since your computer had a fresh install aka reformat? Is your copy of XP up to date? If your copy isn't legal pm me.

From what I've read & have personally seen part of your problem can that horrible outdated livlord TCP/IP patch. Get rid of that first. It doesn't work for Windows Media Center and has other problems. For Bittorrent you don't actually need it anyway. Especially for smarter ones like Bitcomet & µTorrent who put their own limiter in. So uninstall that patch first, if you can. I had to do a windows restore when I decided to test it. Because it killed my Windows update and only messed up my internet connection, had I waited I know it would have just killed it.

I use Home XP. The only third party I used is Lvlord's. I had a total fresh install of Windows 1 month ago, with a brand new Hard Drive as well. The thing is, I started to use Lvlord's after I had the connection/internet problems. So I figured why not. It does seem to have helped, though. I use other file sharing programs that might not be able to work around that limited 10. As for windows update, it always seems to induce more problems than fix. That's just me, though.

On my other programs, I usually get "the connection closed by remote host" before disconnecting on programs like DC++, if that helped any...

Soraiya: Oh! I should have known. Thanks.

and yes, I'm using the newest bitcomet. So far I haven't downloaded anything new, I'm afraid to :(

Webshots problem/Visual C++?

Do you happen to have Webshots on your system? I currently am looking into this program (which I never really had any problems with before BC 0.66) other than a few Visual C++ Error Boxes here and there, its quite obvious that it interferes with my Sygate Firewall from showing up in my System Tray. This lead me to stop it from starting and so far I have never been kicked off my AT&T DSL. This is quite early only a day or so, that I have tested this, so I hope this post isnt a JOKE. I too have been having the EXACT symptoms you have since March or earlier, I too have been getting kicked off DSL. I sent this to Bitcomet@yahoo.com its very annoying to us who have been dealing with for months now. I feel your pain. I hate to post so early, because it was just yesterday that I prevented Webshots from loading, but so far, I downloaded all night without incident. Every problem you described describes it for me as well. My favorite sympton of is whe BC attempts to reconnect and IE won't work, thats my favorite one. Anyways, I hope this is the fix. I know what you meant, sometimes, it will work for hours, and other times, your connection crashes right away, and thinking its a modem hardware problem WAS one of my thoughts too, BUT ITS ONLY NEWER P2P APPS that reproduce this problem (you can throw Azureus and Morpheus in this mix too). I am never kicked when just surfing the net.

Good Luck. Hmmm, and I thought Webshots was a good program. Guess whenever I get 3 hours to kill I have to check out a better Wallpaper/Screensaver out there becuase I aint going back to K-Lite, Emule, and Ares. Ok let me shut up now.

Hi EagleRace,

Hm this does sound like a rather big issue. If you still have a copy of your e-mail that was sent to that support e-mail, it may not be answered as quickly as you'd like.

Try e-mailing us at support@bitcomet.com and state all your specs: BitComet Version used, Firewall/Antiivirus used, Router/modem, Windows Platform, and when this issue started. Or, alternatively, post at BitComet Feature Requests, and our developers will read it.

Also, Darkshroud is right, try removing any 3rd party patches off BitComet or similiar internet-using applications. As for whether or not your Windows XP is legal, is an issue I doubt, which would affect a user's internet connection that directly....though I wouldn't be surprised if there was somehow some indirect linkage.

Patrick... Seriously.. THIS SO CALLED 'PROBLEM' is a long standing matter which cropped up close to abt a year or so. I've been having the same issues with you...

I'm a pretty thorough person and i make sure i get to the root of the matter everytime i have a problem. BUT THIS PARTICULAR cut-out of the internet problem only happened in my best of knowledge when sp2 came along.

I've been doing crazy hourless things(virus scan... port forwading... adware scan... TCP editing.... blah blah blah..) to figure out this matter for close to abt 6-8 months now... but i never did find a solid solution.

As for this 'EvID4226Patch223d-en' to solve the TCp issue induced by our lovely Sp2 ... it did'nt helped to solve our matter either.

You see... i believe it has got to be the sp2 or the most recent update of sp1(but i'm pretty sure the fresh first version of sp1 didn't cos the problem)

Then we have tiz assumptions that it may be hardware problems... Which i doubt in most cases... IF you internet works flawlessly for hours without turning bitcomet on... THEN It's perfectly fine.

Then we have the theory abt ' Pouring alot of water into your mouth and spitting out water at the same time.. ' So to say.. your bandwith maybe choked up while using bitcomet coz... you didn't set proper uploading and downloading limits... 'AS FOR My INTERNET CAble service.' IT works like this... Uploading MAx is only abt 30kb/s. BUT! as for my DOwnloading MAX! it's up to 235kb/s ... which still may sound shitty to most of u peeps.. but it's considered pretty good already in my small country... So i limit my uploading to abt 14kb/s but leave my downloading to limitless... BUT I never ever manage to get full 230kb/s while downloading from bitcomet.. it's always abt 30-110 kb/s ...

STILL! MY internet will be cut out even not using the full bandwith capabilities...

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM THEN AS SOME MIGHT ASKED???!!!!

well.. i still..... DON'T KNOW!

I'm not too sure if Bitcomet may come up with something to counter attack this sp2 problem... i'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to stumble upon a solution perhaps in the near future....

just my 2cents worth... i hope that perhaps someday... we shall figure it out together....

Chao.