To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

try you tube there's plenty of videos on how to port forward linksys routers . ur user name should be admin and ur password will be admin.I think its 192.168.1.1 you type into the address bar in your web browser .

• 1 month later...

hello, I am having one h*** of a time trying to get my ports open. I've searched in the forums, been through the wiki....I've read until I thought my eyeballs would start bleeding...I don't think I've missed the answer, but I apologize if I did.

I'm running windows 7 starter wirelessy connected to a lynksys WRTGSv2 using a DSL connection.

I have bitcomet 1.22

I am using microsoft security essentials and window's built-in firewall

I've set up a static IP and forwarded the port with the lynksys router

I configured bitcomet to use said port and turned off portmapping

I went into the advanced settings of Windows firewall and added 4 new rules each to incoming and outbound connections....

1.UDP rule for bitcomet.exe connections with all ports

2.TCP rule for bitcomet.exe connections with all ports

3.UDP rule for xxxxx port

4.TCP rule for xxxxx port

I've tinkered with every setting I can think of and tried different combinations of things to open up that port. Regardless of what I do it still says i'm blocked, and at canyouseeme.org, it tells me it could not see xxxxx port with the reason that the connection timed out....

PLEASE help me....I've spent hours trying to figure this out and I think my hair might start to fall out cuz I can't...So I've swallowed my pride and came here to ask for help....thank you for your time....

K

Hmm... since you're having trouble opening a port (which is a connection-related issue) we're missing here a crucial piece of info about your connection.

You say you use a DSL connection, but if I got your router model correctly (WRTG54S v.2.0, right?), then it doesn't have a modem incorporated in it. So where is the DSL modem make and model to be found in your above post? ;)

OTOH if I'm wrong and your router does have a modem incorporated then we need to make clear what piece of equipment you're using first.

First thing is to try to identify where the problem is. You'll need to connect directly to the modem, bypassing the wireless router and using a wired connection directly to your computer's network jack. (Yes, I know that can be a real pain.) Don't forget to re-do your network connection settings, re-enable DHCP and all that, when you do this.

If you can now see your service, this means the problem is in your router configuration.

If, on the other hand, you still can't, then you have additional computer issues. (That doesn't mean your router setup is right, though.) There are two main things to check. The first is that you have another software firewall running that you don't know about. You'll have to spend some time with Process Explorer (or Task Manager), and Google, to see what's running and what it does. The upside is, you'll likely discover a lot of crap you don't want running, that's slowing you down. There's a lot of software that un-obviously includes a firewall, so be thorough about this.

The other possibility is that your service provider has you behind a firewall. That's very common for institutional connections (dormitories, apartments, office buildings, where you get the internet access as a part of the facility), and wireless connections, but pretty uncommon for standard DSL connections via the cable TV or phone company. If your connection itself is firewalled, you probably can't do anything about that and will have to just live with it.

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

I really want to say thank you for the information of this topic. It's really great and help me a lot.

My internet max speed is 1mb, and after I'm followed the instruction from this thread, my download speed can increase until 150kb/s and I got no complain about it... lol.. :lol:

Before this, my download speed can go up to only 50-60kb/s. Once again, thank you very much.

(I am sorry cause I'm not very good in English)

• 1 month later...

You want most of your ports to be in stealth mode, all except for the one listen port that you have chosen.

What you do about that depends on the firewall that you are using, but you haven't told us anything about it at all, not even if it's software or hardware.

• 1 month later...

i need help ! I tried every method online but the listen port is still yellow...

i had Configure/verify UPnP status at Windows UPnP panel , Manually Configure Port Mapping at Router for a static IP address but still yellow.

At first i didn't have this problem until yesterday it suddenly turned yellow. I didn't change anything but i still can't find the source to solve the problem. Please help! The listen port turned yellow cause my download speed to be very very low! Like about 5kB/s .

• 4 weeks later...

Sure! The basic thing to understand is that most WIFI connections are firewalled.

That means that if you don't control the wireless router, or can't persuade the person who DOES control it to assign you a static IP address and forward a port for you on that wireless router, you're hosed.

You can only operate BitComet in "no Listen-Port" mode, which will be much slower for you.

You can find instructions about how to forward a port for most routers, wireless or not, at www.portforward.com

You should understand that being wireless does not, all by itself, make any difference, that port-forwarding works the same way, wired or wireless.

Oh, and by the way? That's "anyone", not "any1". I don't react well to newspeak.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have BitComet 1.25 and i was downloanding files without problem.

From few days i cannot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall Tasks: Total:6 / Running: 6

TCP Connections: Established: 6 [MAX:Unlimited] / Half-Open: 0 [MAX:200]

LAN IP: 192.............

WAN IP: 62...............

Listen Port of TCP: 56047 (Blocked by Firewall/Router)

Listen Port of UDP: 56047 (Blocked by Firewall/Router)

Windows Firewall: Added [TCP opened, UDP opened]

UPnP NAT port mapping: Failed [uPNP device not found!]

Overall Download Rate: 0 kB/s [MAX:Unlimited] Max Connection Limits: 50 per task

Overall Upload Rate: 0 kB/s [MAX:Unlimited] LT Seeding: 0 kB/s [MAX:Unlimited] All BT Upload Slots: 0

Free Phys Mem: 1.62 GB (Min to keep: 50 MB)

Disk Cache Size: 0 B (Min: 6 MB, Max: 50 MB)

Disk Read Statistics: Request: 0 (freq: 0.0/s), Actual Disk Read: 0 (freq: 0.0/s), Hit Ratio: 0.0%

Disk Write Statistics: Request: 0 (freq: 0.0/s), Actual Disk Write: 0 (freq: 0.0/s), Hit Ratio: 0.0%

Total Downloaded: 9.73 GB

Total Uploaded: 388.73 MB

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am with windows 7 home premuim, and i am using a wi-fi internet from unknown for me source.

i did not change any settings, the main changes i made to my system was that AVG found that:

"";"C:\Users\Aram\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\f_000cc6";"Trojan horse Generic22.LPH";"Moved to Virus Vault"

"";"C:\Users\Aram\Downloads\geant_kw.com";"Trojan horse Generic22.LPH";"Moved to Virus Vault"

Other thing that may change anything was that i install software for range extender device.

I did not experience any problems before with windows xp and the same version of BitComet and the same range extender device.

My port mapping is enabled and firewall exceptions are added.

All other settings also are probably the same,because i did not change them by myself.

Thanks.

Edited by seaman40 (see edit history)

From few days i cannot.

Can you elaborate on that?

...and i am using a wi-fi internet from unknown for me source.

What do you mean by that? How can you use Internet from an "unknown" source? Unless you're "war driving" you should be able to get some details for your Internet connection.

Your listen port is blocked. If you down own/have access to the router connecting you to the Internet it will be impossible for you to open a port for incoming connections.

Almost all wireless connections of every sort will be firewalled. Exceptions are rare.

This means that you won't have any choice with that connection, and will have to operate in "no listen port" mode, which is usually considerably slower.

I'm guessing that he means he is connected to someone else's wifi connection that was unsecure.

I had a friend who bought a new notebook a few years ago and when turned on, it instantly connected to the internet. She later moved and didn't understand why it would no longer connect. For nearly a year she had been using someone elses wifi connection and just assumed the computer had the ability to connect to the internet without paying for a connection lol

Actually, I suspect at some point in the future all internet access will be free, worldwide.

The internet will be come the primary source of commerce, and every business worldwide will want the entire population to have access. At some point governments aren't going to be able to prevent users from accessing satalite communications, it will only be a matter of having the right electronics, and the need for companies to provide internet access will be a thing of the past.

I don't know if this will be in 5years, or 50, but sooner or later global communications will be open to all.

It'll be pretty interesting in the meantime, though.

Securing a wireless access point really is pretty elementary. Somebody who has not done that is on shaky ground when it comes to any claim of unauthorized use, I think. It should be an affirmative defense, that you haven't secured your system -- like not fencing your property or putting "no trespassing" signs up, then trying to sue somebody for trespassing.

A wireless NIC will latch on to the strongest signal it can find at the moment it tries to connect. Hopefully, that will be your own, but it might well be your neighbor's, by accident and through no fault of your own. You can do quite a lot without ever realizing that you're not actually using your own wireless connection, especially if you don't use P2P. Your own wireless router might have gone down last week and stayed down, with nothing to alert you to that.

----------

When your neighbor latches on to your wireless, he has your IP address, so the child p*** he's downloading points to you, not him. Your defense "it musta been somebody else using my wireless" is going to sound really feeble.

If you use a wireless access point, SECURE the flippin' thing. Limit it to connecting only to MAC addresses of your machines. Bother the passwords, they're too easy to crack and too incompatible anyway.

I am aware that i cannot control the router, i just want to know what i can do on my own PC.

Because my problem started after the troyan removing and range extender install i am thinking that it may changed something and affect my torrents download.

If your looking for a way to get remote connections, there is one (less the optimal) solution. bitcomet version 1.02 was the last version that supported NAT Traversal technology. With this, you can obtain (some) remote peer connections. It's a poor substitute for an open listening port, but it's the only suggestion we can offer, short of getting your own internet connection.

Nat Traversal was removed in version 1.03 to make tcp connections more efficient. Currently there are no immediate plans to reintroduce it.