To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

I dont know if I have a router or just a modem ok for what I have read I think mine is a router but I would like to have some confirmation so mi ip ends in .44 and my default getaway ends in .1 so it is a modem with a router rigth ?

edgecrusher, the terayon ta-102 is a modem. You cant access it only your ISP can.

If your not getting "Remote" peers then either your ISP or something else like a firewall or anitvirus software is blocking incoming connections.

Most cable ISPs distribute client addresses using their own DHCP servers that is why you see your IP and Gateway are different(ie. IP=x.x.x.166 and Gateway=x.x.x.1)

Home router Gateway addresses should be 192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x or 10.x.x.x

If you do ipconfig and you see these kind of addresses then you can access the router's web-based management by typing the gateway address after http://

If the gateway address is something besides these then its unlikely that you can access the management features.

Normally if you just have a cable modem you shouldnt have to worry about blocked "Remote" connections,

but I live in the US and use DSL so I have no idea what other countries cable ISPs do.

hi, im having some problems with speed...

the guide is excellent, but i cant get more than 5kb/s when downloading!! does having a wireless connection has something to do...

ive configured everything.. and the port 49177 that i chose is open..

do i have to create an UDP port for BitComet?

thanks...

ok, i am curious to know more about this static ip stuff and perharps you can help me out a little. Since i am not an expert on this field i may use weird terminology but please be patient with me -)

With my own reasoning, i suppose what the guide tries to do is to allow your assigned PC (for bt dlls) to acquire a specific IP address (given by your router, not given by your ISP!!!), such that the port you forwarded in your gateway (usually u have to specify which PC's ip address to allow this forwarding to validate) will always be in sync with the static (easier known as fixed) IP address u assigned in your PC.

by doing so ur ports will be opened and allow a boost in your downloads..... However i do feel puzzled about the fact that routers usually assigned their IP address in a systematical way, so say u have 2 pcs sharing a router ...... the first pc would have an IP address of say XXX.XXX.101 the second would then have xxx.xxx.102 if u allow automatic in your configuration that is. :mellow:

Thus, my question is that if you only have one PC behind a router, you will more or less acquire teh same IP from your router....and therefore it will always be the same as your port forward setting isnt? Does that means it makes the previous steps uneccessary and you can safely go on to port forward section?? :unsure:

i am not too sure if my reasoning is right, if not plz explain the significance of the steps to create a static ip as i would liek to learn more.

btw i been getting pathetic dll speeds too, i was wondering how issit possible that only 2kb/s is received from 19 peers O_o ?? i am wondering whether teh location of your peers/seeds are a key factor in determining your dll speed since i have closed all firewalls, fowarded my port accordingly and allowed unlimited caps on my uploads in every downloads i assigned??

It's true, the static IP thing is optional and if your router seems to always give your PC the same IP address then you dont really have to do the static ip thing. But not all routers are the same and by giving your PC a static IP you can be 100% sure that your PC will always receive the same IP address from your router meaning the portforwarding rule you make will always work.

As for your speed issues it is hard to say what the problem is. The geographic location of the seeds/peers will have an affect on your speeds obviously cause of propagation delay, network congestion, and router hops (together these are known as latency), but there are other factors. Those 19 peers could be uploading other torrents or could be uploading to other peers currently. If you already solved the portforwarding issue and are getting "Remote" peers then maybe go through the Settings Guide in my sig to see if you've set something wrong.

haiz, i cant find a guide for my router at the portforwarding website. im using D-link DWL-G730AP. i tried to anyhow figure out something for the Port Mapping but it didnt work cuz it said Stealth when i checked was the port open or not. it failed cuz it said it received Pings.

can someone help me? im really getting pathetic speeds like 3kbps on average. :S oh and im totally clueless at these computer stuff. thanks...

haiz, i cant find a guide for my router at the portforwarding website. im using D-link DWL-G730AP. i tried to anyhow figure out something for the Port Mapping but it didnt work cuz it said Stealth when i checked was the port open or not. it failed cuz it said it received Pings.

can someone help me? im really getting pathetic speeds like 3kbps on average. :S oh and im totally clueless at these computer stuff. thanks...

To port foward:

1)Type ipconfig in yur cmd prompt (goto start>run>type cmd)

2)copy the default gateway and paste it in yur browser

3)type yur username and password (factory default) (see 3.a )

4)goto port fowarding section and identify your bitcomet listen port (goto preferences)

5) set both UDP and TCP to be forwarded under the port u have identified in 4) and ensure that the ip u input matches the one in yur pc (see 5.a)

6) save yur setting in your router and restart your bitcomet

3.a) if u did not change the password, it would probably the defaults settings ..and if u dont know them go to the manufacturer website and download for your model's user guide. (well if u still have a hard copy that comes in your box ...try your luck) u can probably try admin for username and "blank" for password....

5.a)read this thread by Soraiya (page 1) on how to ensure your PC's ip can be made static. If u only have one pc connected to your router u may skip it (well better be safe than sorry...)

How to check for your Pc's ip?

type ipconfig and u would have recognise it immediately whether u have input that ip in your port fowarding rule

If u are still clueless, download the user guide of your router manual at the manufacturer website and look for port foward section.

Hi,

I am confused. Bitcomet is on my laptop which is connected via wireless to a Belkin wireless router. This is in turn connected to a d-link router (which receives the phone jack). Which router do I configure for portforwarding?

My ADSL is a Dynalink RTA100 running into a dynalink di-524 wireless router.

I have setup the RTA100 for port forwarding on port 50000, however I cant contact the wireless router via the ip adress in firefox?

Any help?

That Shields UP!! page said that my port 50000 is Stealthed?

This is what I see when I do ipconfig /all

IP Address 192.aaa.iii.120

Subnet Mask 255.hhh.bbb.0

Default Gateway 192.ccc.bbb.1

DHCP server 192.ccc.bbb.1

DNS servers 203.dd.eee.216

203.ff.ggg.3

203.ff.ggg.4

Does it prove that I have a router? I have a different Gateway and IP address. But Im not too sure if Im correct since I have a WiFi connection, and the antenna on our roof is connected directly to my computer. Please help me here, I really want to try the guide but Im already stuck in determining if I have a router. :blink:

I know Im not maximizing my bitcomet, since when I just leave it alone I get only around 10Kbps, but If I try to download in the internet, I get a stable 40-50Kbps

Ok so I have port forwarding working and it shows lots and lots of peers.

about 20 local and one NAT transversal.

Health is over 2500% and I'm only getting 4kb/s, when it first started i was getting 160kb/s, whats going on?

I followed all the steps carefully and the port when I go test it on the site says it's closed. Funny thing is I rechecked and rechecked the steps to set up port forwarding-they've all been completed correctly. I'm using SP2 XP and have put Bitcomet in the firewall exceptions list. Also before I did this it was downloading stuff at a measly 5kb/s and now it's doing it at an average of 30 kb/s so it increased slightly but the broadband I have is at least 800/64 and I'm using an Open NEtworks ADSL iconnect Access 621 router modem- so what have I missed? Should I redo the entire process but using a different port in the 50000 range, as I'm using the port 17567.

Hi there,

Hmm, that's a rather interesting bandwidth. Are you sure it's 800/64, if so, that's equivalent to 100 kb/s download and less than 8 kb/s upload. And unfortunately due to your low upload, you may probably never achieve max download speeds on public torrents.

If you wish, try using port 60548.

(please correct me anyone if I've done the speed calculations wrong)

Hi there,

Hmm, that's a rather interesting bandwidth. Are you sure it's 800/64, if so, that's equivalent to 100 kb/s download and less than 8 kb/s upload. And unfortunately due to your low upload, you may probably never achieve max download speeds on public torrents.

If you wish, try using port 60548.

(please correct me anyone if I've done the speed calculations wrong)

Yeah, about that I just rechecked I got confused with the speeds- I have about a 512/128 at the moment but I've just changed to a 2 M/ 1 M plan- that will come into effect next month. So will that mean I have a better chance of getting max download speeds on public torrents then- especially if I get this port forwarding to work?

Yes that's correct. Actually I also have a 512/128 bandwidth plan as well, and on public torrents the best speed I ever attained was a measly 15 kb/s, despite the fact that I only had 1 torrent running.

A plan with a much better upload capability, will most directly increase your download capability as well.

*Guide has been updated! 16th July, 2006*

A little note to users wishing to increase their download speeds, I will be completing the speed guide very soon! However, I have discussed the matter of "increasing download speeds" with the developers' team, and all they can say is that there is nothing explicit that can be done to maximise your speed.

The most I can do in my speed guide is to advise users to put in place my recommended settings.

Hi all,

Ok, can anyone help me get my port forwarding to work.

Details- BT Home Hub and BT total broadband, 8mb.

Set up static ip address, tried to log on to router, both by typing default ip address in and using the hub manager icon that comes wit the package, nothing for either. When using hub manager icon, msg appears saying cannot log on to hub. This didnt happen before i cahnged to static IP.

How can i forward a port from the router if i cant log on.

Also, downloaded an album yesterday wit good seeds and peers, tried another today with similar stats. Yesterday 200k/bs today 35. why the difference.,

thanks

ben

I followed all the steps carefully and the port when I go test it on the site says it's stealth. I'm using SP2 XP and have put Bitcomet in the firewall exceptions list. I am using a port from 50k-60k range i cant understand why its not working! I added the ports correctly and everything, but i did make up my port # but that shouldnt matter should it? becoz wen i randomize it it only has from 1-10k

(Posts merged)

dw i figured it out, but my speed stil seems the same even tho i opened the port

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

Hello everyone, if I've decided to go with BitComet's uPnP and I've also enabled uPnP within my router, is there still a need to do port forwarding on the port number I've defined as the listen port?

:blink:

I can't have the port being open after following your steps.

My computer uses a wireless pci to connect the router, is that y i can't have static ip????

do i have to switch off the WEP or MAC thing??

I use linksys router and adaptor.please help.

how is the actual speed difffernece when not using listen port??

My real concern is, i don't see any "remote" in the initation column

It does not matter if your on wireless. You need to try to follow the instructions at www.portforward.com for your particular router and yes you should make a static IP in windows for your wireless pci card.

Also dont worry about the WEP wireless encryption or the MAC address filtering

I have one linksys wrt54gs router shared by 2 desktops and 1 laptop.

IF i need port forward on one desktop for BT, do i have to set the static ip for the other 2 computers as well? i will use all 3 computers for bitcomet eventually, but at this stage, i can't even have one computer being port opened, (i read that it is better to set both start and end port range the same, i tried 50000 and 60548, all stealthed)

I followed the instruction carefully. Static IP not in the range of DHCP. no hardware or software firewall. UPnP disabled. I called up ISP, they said they don't block my external IP.

What else can go wrong??

If you screw up your Static IP, can u still load webpages??? Anyway i don't believe that i made mistake on my IP